Which Republican Senators will vote for Sotomayor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:32:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which Republican Senators will vote for Sotomayor?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Which Republican Senators will vote for Sotomayor?  (Read 15277 times)
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2009, 05:40:52 PM »

McCain a no; Ben Nelson finally gets off the fence and says he'll vote yes.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5huyApqmCqq9U5Hw9jP5IYR1gSQEwD99RLD380
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2009, 06:25:08 PM »

John "Bipartisan hero" McCain is voting against her? What a piece of crap.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2009, 06:45:54 PM »

He is supposed to like browns too.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2009, 07:31:32 PM »

McCain in 2008:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/08/04/mccain-flashback-sotomayor/

What a joke.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2009, 12:19:21 AM »

Hahahahaa!!!
What a pathetic little old man. And what's funny is that the day before he warned Republicans that they have to start making inroads to the Latino community if they wanted to remain relevant. I guess that's his idea of giving the good example.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2009, 08:39:13 AM »

Ensign voting no:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iHErkablW9yiyUK6Eq5pLQxZnL0AD99S78580

Begich is apparently the only possible no vote for the Dems. Remember how he conveniently missed the vote for Eric Holder? I doubt he can be a no-show this time.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2009, 12:57:12 PM »

Kit Bond, Yes #7 for the Republicans:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/05/sotomayor-picks-up-another-gop-vote/
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2009, 01:02:08 PM »

Just like Obama voted against Alito. Guess Obama doesn't like white men. Roll Eyes
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2009, 01:16:15 PM »

Just like Obama voted against Alito. Guess Obama doesn't like white men. Roll Eyes

OMFG!!! This is the smoking gun.

Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh are finally vindicated!!!

Seriously though, Obama had the excuse of planning to run for president.
And he wasn't as vocal as McCain in his support of immigration reform and defense of Latinos against the Pat Buchanans and Tom Tancredos of his party. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2009, 02:01:19 PM »

Nobody likes Italo-Americans. Tongue
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2009, 12:15:22 AM »

6 of the 7 GOP senators and major Senate candidates in Hispanic heavy states are "no" votes:  Kyl, McCain, Ensign, Cornyn, Hutchison, Crist.  And they are all white.  The one exception is Mel Martinez, who is both retiring in 2010 and Hispanic. 

This might not be as damaging if the GOP wasn't already in the doghouse with Hispanic voters.  They won't be improving their standing with this vote, especially given how they also failed to send a representative to the national La Raza meeting.  Their actions speak loud and clear.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2009, 02:17:09 PM »

Sonya Sotomayor has just been confirmed by a vote of 68 to 31.

The official anouncement was made by none other than Al Franken!
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2009, 02:33:33 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2009, 02:35:45 PM by paul718 »

Hahahahaa!!!
What a pathetic little old man. And what's funny is that the day before he warned Republicans that they have to start making inroads to the Latino community if they wanted to remain relevant. I guess that's his idea of giving the good example.

Is simply voting for Sotomayor's confirmation the way to make inroads?  Perhaps he felt that Sotomayor was...I dunno...unqualified?

OMFG!!! This is the smoking gun.

Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh are finally vindicated!!!

Seriously though, Obama had the excuse of planning to run for president.
And he wasn't as vocal as McCain in his support of immigration reform and defense of Latinos against the Pat Buchanans and Tom Tancredos of his party. 

Are we supposed to be happy that Obama voted against confirming a Justice in anticipation of running for the Dem nomination?  I mean, shouldn't he have voted with his conscience?  I'm not insinuating that that's why he voted the way he did, but you made the implication.

With that in mind, you cannot question the integrity in McCain's "no" vote against Sotomayor.  You can be sure his vote wasn't personally motivated, since he's currently running for re-election in a Hispanic-heavy state.  I can assume two things went through his mind:

(1)  I'm going to vote against Sotomayor because I feel she's unqualified.
(2)  I cannot expect Hispanic Arizonans to be so short-sighted as to vote for me based on my support for a Puerto Rican judicial appointee.

And it's the Republicans that are the "racist" party. Roll Eyes
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2009, 02:38:35 PM »

Is simply voting for Sotomayor's confirmation the way to make inroads?  Perhaps he felt that Sotomayor was...I dunno...unqualified?

Are we supposed to be happy that Obama voted against confirming a Justice in anticipation of running for the Dem nomination?  I mean, shouldn't he have voted with his conscience?  I'm not insinuating that that's why he voted the way he did, but you made the implication.

With that in mind, you cannot question the integrity in McCain's "no" vote against Sotomayor.  You can be sure his vote wasn't personally motivated, since he's currently running for re-election in a Hispanic-heavy state.  I can assume two things went through his mind:

(2)  I cannot expect Hispanic Arizonans to be so short-sighted as to vote for me based on my support for a Puerto Rican judicial appointee.

Yeah, that's it. He felt that she was unqualified. Roll Eyes
Once again you nailed it man.

Have you even read the statements by those senators who voted against her? 

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2009, 02:44:43 PM »

Does anyone have the full list of votes?
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2009, 02:48:48 PM »

How the hell could anyone say she was unqualified?  For anyone familiar with her resume, that statement makes no sense.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2009, 02:50:44 PM »

Yeah, that's it. He felt that she was unqualified. Roll Eyes
Once again you nailed it man.

Then tell me, why did he vote against her confirmation?

Quote from: Restricted

Yes.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5huyApqmCqq9U5Hw9jP5IYR1gSQEwD99RLD380
"McCain called her background 'inspiring and compelling,' but added that, 'an excellent resume and an inspiring life story are not enough to qualify one for a lifetime of service on the Supreme Court...She is a judge who has foresworn judicial activism in her confirmation hearings, but who has a long record of it,'"
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2009, 02:53:36 PM »

How the hell could anyone say she was unqualified?  For anyone familiar with her resume, that statement makes no sense.

Ricci v. DeStefano

Also, her quote "The Appellate Court is where policy is made." 

Honestly, I think I would probably vote to confirm her.  But I'm not going to summarily discredit anyone who voted against her. 
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2009, 03:00:59 PM »

Ricci v. DeStefano

Honestly, I think I would probably vote to confirm her.  But I'm not going to summarily discredit anyone who voted against her. 

So, by your standards Alito is also unqualified because I read that some of his cases as an appelate judge were overturned by the Supreme Court.

And her quote is absolutely true, as anyone who knows how the law and courts work will attest.
Just because "Judicial Activism" is a nice slogan doesn't mean it makes any sense too. 
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2009, 03:05:23 PM »

Ricci v. DeStefano

If the above is the basis for claiming that Sotomayor is unqualified (as opposed to admitting they are against her for partisan and ideological reasons) then they deserve to be discredited.  The fact that some disagree with her opinion in Ricci doesn't make her "unqualified."  And Sotomayor is correct -- the Court of Appeals is where policy is made, because it sets precedent for its respective circuit.  Her enemies were simply taking quotes out of context to defame her.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2009, 03:20:47 PM »

Ricci v. DeStefano

So, by your standards Alito is also unqualified because I read that some of his cases as an appelate judge were overturned by the Supreme Court.

Ricci was controversial because the ruling permitted alleged racism to take place.  It doesn't matter that it was overturned...it matters that Sotomayor affirmed it. 

I don't know that much about Alito, and I very well might've opposed his appointment.

A judge is not supposed to legislate from the bench.  Political questions are to be left to the legislature.  Just because it happens, doesn't make it okay.

Ricci v. DeStefano

If the above is the basis for claiming that Sotomayor is unqualified (as opposed to admitting they are against her for partisan and ideological reasons) then they deserve to be discredited.  The fact that some disagree with her opinion in Ricci doesn't make her "unqualified."  And Sotomayor is correct -- the Court of Appeals is where policy is made, because it sets precedent for its respective circuit.  Her enemies were simply taking quotes out of context to defame her.

My intention isn't to go tit-for-tat over the merits of Sotomayor's nomination.  I jumped in only when I saw someone make a post calling John McCain a "piece of sh**t" for voting against her. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2009, 03:23:58 PM »

Does anyone have the full list of votes?

59 Democrats (all but Kennedy, who did not vote) + 9 Republicans (Lamar Alexander, Kit Bond, Susan Collins, Lindsey Graham, Judd Gregg, Richard Lugar, Mel Martinez, Olympia Snowe, and George Voinovich).
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2009, 03:28:57 PM »

lamar alexander should be minority leader.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #123 on: August 06, 2009, 03:36:25 PM »

Map of the votes.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2009, 03:41:21 PM »

I'm happy Begich decided to vote for her.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies