Which Republican Senators will vote for Sotomayor? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:50:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which Republican Senators will vote for Sotomayor? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which Republican Senators will vote for Sotomayor?  (Read 15318 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« on: May 27, 2009, 10:08:22 AM »

Snowe already put out a statement where he anounced her support for Sotomayor.
It's hard to imagine that Collins won't follow her.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 10:38:20 AM »

I don't know but it would provide a handy list of names we should be sure to primary at the next possible moment.  A little RINO plasty is in order LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 12:25:10 PM »

Mel Martinez anounced he will vote for Sotomayor.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SOTOMAYOR_MARTINEZ?SITE=CONGRA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 05:48:34 PM »

Why does Wicker opposes her?
Did she mention that she considers pork unconstitutional?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 12:17:23 PM »

Add Lindsey Graham to the list of Sotomayor supporters.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090722/ap_on_go_co/us_sotomayor_senate
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:45:21 PM »

And Jon Kyl will vote no.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/legalities/2009/07/kyl-to-vote-against-sotomayor.html

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 12:01:50 PM »

Apparently Cornyn either is more tone deaf than anyone imagined or he has a political death wish.
What remains to be seen is what kind of signal that vote sends to his senate recruits.

And it's rather amusing the fact that Hatch had no problem with such diverse candidates like Bork, Ginsburg or Thomas, but somehow he thinks that Sotomayor is unacceptable.
Hypocrisy much?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 10:00:41 AM »

Well, maybe this won't be THE vote that will turn Latinos even more against the Republicans and Cornyn in particular (even though the Hispanic Republican operatives in Texas disagree).
But if you want to reclaim their votes, you got to start from somewhere.

And what better place to start than voting to confirm the first Hispanic Supreme Court Justice.
An eminently qualified nominee with a compelling life story and a mainstream record, who got through her confirmation hearings with no missteps.
What they did instead was to put a bunch of old white guys, with someone like Sessions of all people leading the charge, to show their hostility and condescension to her.

In that aspect I believe that Hatch's non-explanation explanation for his vote is rather revealing.   
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 08:16:06 PM »

Still, Cornyn's seat is basically his as long as he wants it. For a Republican incumbent to lose a senate election in Texas would probably require a scandal of the live boy/dead girl variety. That'll probably be different in 10-15 years, but Cornyn should have retired by then.

Perhaps. But even so he is a member of the Republican leadership.
When he and Kyl, who represent Latino-heavy states, cast a no vote, then the signal towards their colleagues, and his senate recruits, is pretty clear: bashing the browns is cool.

This is the same guy who thought that Harriet Miers was qualified to become Supreme Court Justice and supported Alberto Gonzales to the bitter end, for crying out loud.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 05:49:40 PM »

Are you sure that's a statement from Nelson?

Because to me it sounds like someone from his office is doing a bad impersonation of Sarah Palin. That's how incomprehensible it is.   
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 12:19:21 AM »

Hahahahaa!!!
What a pathetic little old man. And what's funny is that the day before he warned Republicans that they have to start making inroads to the Latino community if they wanted to remain relevant. I guess that's his idea of giving the good example.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 01:16:15 PM »

Just like Obama voted against Alito. Guess Obama doesn't like white men. Roll Eyes

OMFG!!! This is the smoking gun.

Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh are finally vindicated!!!

Seriously though, Obama had the excuse of planning to run for president.
And he wasn't as vocal as McCain in his support of immigration reform and defense of Latinos against the Pat Buchanans and Tom Tancredos of his party. 
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 02:17:09 PM »

Sonya Sotomayor has just been confirmed by a vote of 68 to 31.

The official anouncement was made by none other than Al Franken!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 02:38:35 PM »

Is simply voting for Sotomayor's confirmation the way to make inroads?  Perhaps he felt that Sotomayor was...I dunno...unqualified?

Are we supposed to be happy that Obama voted against confirming a Justice in anticipation of running for the Dem nomination?  I mean, shouldn't he have voted with his conscience?  I'm not insinuating that that's why he voted the way he did, but you made the implication.

With that in mind, you cannot question the integrity in McCain's "no" vote against Sotomayor.  You can be sure his vote wasn't personally motivated, since he's currently running for re-election in a Hispanic-heavy state.  I can assume two things went through his mind:

(1)  I'm going to vote against Sotomayor because I feel she's unqualified.
(2)  I cannot expect Hispanic Arizonans to be so short-sighted as to vote for me based on my support for a Puerto Rican judicial appointee.

Yeah, that's it. He felt that she was unqualified. Roll Eyes
Once again you nailed it man.

Have you even read the statements by those senators who voted against her? 

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 03:00:59 PM »

(1)  I'm going to vote against Sotomayor because I feel she's unqualified.
(2)  I cannot expect Hispanic Arizonans to be so short-sighted as to vote for me based on my support for a Puerto Rican judicial appointee.

How the hell could anyone say she was unqualified?  For anyone familiar with her resume, that statement makes no sense.

Ricci v. DeStefano

Also, her quote "The Appellate Court is where policy is made." 

Honestly, I think I would probably vote to confirm her.  But I'm not going to summarily discredit anyone who voted against her. 

So, by your standards Alito is also unqualified because I read that some of his cases as an appelate judge were overturned by the Supreme Court.

And her quote is absolutely true, as anyone who knows how the law and courts work will attest.
Just because "Judicial Activism" is a nice slogan doesn't mean it makes any sense too. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies