Notice to the PPT (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:46:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Notice to the PPT (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Notice to the PPT  (Read 3671 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: May 28, 2009, 04:04:30 AM »

May I alert the PPT to a possible vacancy in the Senate caused by 21 days of inactivity by Senator DWTL in accordance with Senate Rules and Regulations; Article 10: Vacation of Senate Seat by Reason of Absence

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Current_Senate_Rles%2C_Regulations%2C_and_Procedures

His last post regarding Senate business was as follows:

Having received 6 votes, MasterJedi is elected!!

It may be open to intepretation as to whether this kicks in now, or at the end of this day. If so I anticipate some furious partisan e-mailing to ensure that he drops by before the day is out. Smiley

I think this is the first time the vacancy provision has come into play.
As I recall, it was DWTL who pushed for the limit to be set at 21 days.

(FTR, I would suggest that days be interpreted as 24 hour periods rather than calendar days, but it's unlikely to make any difference in this instance.)

On the topic of this, I've been thinking about how we elect people to fill casual vacancies to STV-At Large Senate seats.

Obviously I floated an idea in the Constitutional Convention about if a casual vacancy arises (in my initial proposal) that the party of which that Senator was a member would appoint his or her successor. This is how the Australian Senate operates.

In local councils that use STV over here, frequently casual vacancies are filled using a countback system of excluding the candidate and using the last election results. I don't know if in this instance that would bump up SPC or Lief, but it's something that bears consideration.

Under the initial terms of the PR Act, vacancies were generally to be filled by the party of the outgoing Senator. The exception concerned Independents and parties with fewer than 4 members, in these instances by-elections were mandated.

My original draft of the Act simply had a by-elections requirement for vacancies - but as part of concessions to ensure the passage of the bill this had to be dropped. Countback was considered, but I did not (and do not) feel it to be suitable for Atlasia.

I proposed the party replacement system as a compromise which, thankfully, garnered sufficient backing to pass the bill.

An amendment to the PR Act concerning by-elections was proposed by Lewis and passed by the 25th Senate. As this game is as much an election sim as it is a government one, I approve of by-elections as they are an opportunity to once again generate interest among the populace in the Senate.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 08:27:02 AM »

Well according to everything then DWTL has vacated the seat by innactivity. So I'm just making sure here before I do it, does that mean I need to notify the SoFA?

Indeed so. As the vacancy requires a election (rather than gubernatorial appointment) and such election is to be overseen by the SoFA, he is the appropriate person for notification.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »

What happens if DWTL comes back before we have the election to fill his seat?

He would have the option of trying to defend it in the election.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies