Notice to the PPT (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:00:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Notice to the PPT (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Notice to the PPT  (Read 3672 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: May 27, 2009, 07:56:55 PM »

I think someone said that New Jersey schools end second week of June. That would mean he dropped off the face of the Earth to start studying for finals a full month ahead of time. I kind of suspect that it was something that was unforseeable.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 08:03:41 PM »

I think someone said that New Jersey schools end second week of June. That would mean he dropped off the face of the Earth to start studying for finals a full month ahead of time. I kind of suspect that it was something that was unforseeable.

Well, he has been on since his last post, but he didn't post anything saying he was unable to post.

Which I do find to be very odd. In retrospect, it would have been good if SPC had not invalidated his vote so DWTL would win.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 08:17:22 PM »

On the topic of this, I've been thinking about how we elect people to fill casual vacancies to STV-At Large Senate seats.

Obviously I floated an idea in the Constitutional Convention about if a casual vacancy arises (in my initial proposal) that the party of which that Senator was a member would appoint his or her successor. This is how the Australian Senate operates.

In local councils that use STV over here, frequently casual vacancies are filled using a countback system of excluding the candidate and using the last election results. I don't know if in this instance that would bump up SPC or Lief, but it's something that bears consideration.

Anyway, it's perhaps an idea we could discuss (probably also in the ConCon) and perhaps see about changing in the meantime (since the final draft of the ConCon may be voted down, while some elements may still be popular). It wouldn't be through before the election to replace DWTL (if one is needed), but it might be a good idea to look at it before the next casual vacancy arises - predominantly since the result of an IRV election to fill one seat may yield very different results to the intention of the voters who elected the Senator in an STV election to fill five seats.

Just a thought that isn't necessarily relevant in the current debate, but perhaps something we should consider and discuss for the future.

It makes sense should we switch to a parliamentary system as leaving the filling of vacancies as the perogative of the party leader of the former MP is a quick & easy way to help increase party power as a party won't get undermined by losing a seat mid-session & people will have an incentive to suck up to the chairman so they get appointed.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »

Nice to see you back. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies