Any states the GOP could pickup in 2010?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:16:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Any states the GOP could pickup in 2010?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Any states the GOP could pickup in 2010?  (Read 15164 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2009, 07:26:06 PM »

In the Colorado Senate Seat it has more to do with how stong Frazier(R) is. If he is weak we lose, if he turns out to be strong we can win. Colorado should be Lean Dem. Nevada is safe D, Reid has scarred everyone into supporting him, including many R's. New York and Illinois is safe unless Burris somehow is the nominee but thats unlikely. Ohio is is Toss-up/tilt Dem, but I think Portman will pull through in the end. Louisinia is weak GOP. Kentucky should be Toss-up/Tilt Dem, cause right now there are so many unknowns.

You left out Wisconsin under your Governors.  Doyle is pretty weak with Approvals in the low 40's, and he is trailing Scott Walker(R) by a few points.

Harry Reid is in no way safe.  His approval rating is in the toilet.

A little rule about Nevada is, if Harry Reid feels you are a threat he will find a lackey to defeat you or if he can't do that, he will have his lackey the State Atty Gen put you in jail. Half the Nevada GOP has been scarred into backing his reelection. Nevada is Reid's kingdom. I would love to see him lose but the only candidate we have is Dean Hellar and he is a weak candidate based on Geography.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2009, 09:12:11 PM »

Half the Nevada GOP has been scarred into backing his reelection.

I highly doubt that.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2009, 10:37:15 PM »

I think the GOP will have the opportunity to reverse the leftward momentum in the mountain west in 2010. However, if they fail, they will be hard pressed to win these states in a 50-50 presidential election.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2009, 05:09:50 PM »

Half the Nevada GOP has been scarred into backing his reelection.

I highly doubt that.

If that was confusing I should have said GOP establishment. There is a list on here somewhere that has all the Republicans that are backing him and its long.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2009, 05:18:58 PM »

Best case scenario for Republican pickups is

Governor
Pennsylvania
Ohio
Michigan
Wisconsin
Iowa(only if better candidates come forward though)
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Kansas
Wyoming(only if Freudy doesn't run again)
Colorado

Senate
Connecticut
Pennsylvania
Colorado
Nevada(If a good candidate drops out of the sky) 
Delaware(Only if Castle runs)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2009, 01:31:41 AM »

Best case scenario for Republican pickups is

Governor
Pennsylvania
Ohio
Michigan
Wisconsin
Iowa(only if better candidates come forward though)
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Kansas
Wyoming(only if Freudy doesn't run again)
Colorado

New York and Massachusetts (though obviously more unlikely) should be on that list as well.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2009, 01:37:20 AM »

Governor races-

GOP
Colorado (Depends who we get for the GOP nom)
Kansas
Oklahoma
Tennesse
New Jersey (for 2009)

DEM
California (most likely)
Virginia (for 2009)
Rhode Island
Hawaii (most likely)
Nevada (if the GOP renominates the current guy)

Toss-Up
Florida
Michigan
Pennsylvania

Senate Races
GOP

Connecticut (Dodd is almost a for sure no go)
Colorado (If Bennet is nominated)

Dem
Kentucky (If Bun wins nomination)

Toss-Up
Missouri
Ohio
Lousiania (Maybe)
Illinios
New York
Nevada

I haven't been paying too much attention to the Gubernatorial races, so I won't refute any of your claims on those *yet.* Tongue

As for the Senate races, I'm surprised you don't have New Hampshire under your Toss-Up category as I believe this seat (along with Missouri) is much more likely to flip than Kentucky.

Democrats have a top-tier candidate here in Missouri with Secretary of State Robin Carnahan who was reelected in 2008 with the most votes ever cast for a candidate in the state's history. Keep in mind that she also has the Carnahan name, and her opponent, U.S. Rep. Roy Blunt (R) has the Blunt name. Consider the following formula: Carnahan + Mel = Good, whereas Blunt + Matt = Bad. And while elections are usually always close and competitive in Missouri, I wouldn't be surprised if the Carnahan-Blunt senatorial race is a repeat of the Nixon-Hulshof gubernatorial race in 2008.

As for New Hampshire, the state is becoming bluer by the day. I wouldn't exactly call Paul Hodes a top-tier candidate but the Republicans don't appear to have much of a bench there unless perhaps Attorney General Kelly Ayotte runs in which case it could be close, but I'd still give the edge to Hodes especially if 2010 is a repeat of 2008 and the anti-GOP sentiment is still there. Perhaps Jeb Bradley could run, but I don't think he's that well known outside of the other side of the state, or Charlie Bass, or even John Sununu, but all three of these guys were ousted by Democrats in the past two election cycles.

Kentucky will be interesting, I'll give you that. Poor ole senile Jim Bunning keeps insisting that he's running despite claims from his own party to retire. Must be hard on such a nutter like him. Maybe they have ulterior motives like trying to pressure him so much that he has a mental breakdown and then they can deem him "mentally unstable" and unfit to run for the seat and who knows, maybe they'll send him away in a straight-jacket Cheesy hahaha. If Bunning survives, I'll give the seat to Attorney General Jack Conway or Lt. Gov. Dan Mongiardo (hopefully Conway). If the GOP gets a new recruit, I'd still put the seat as toss-up. Kentucky isn't as red as most states and without Barack Obama on the ticket in 2010, Democrats will do much better statewide. I'm sure the Democrats will go outta their way to get the big-guns (Clintons) into the Bluegrass State to campaign for their candidates.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2009, 07:02:34 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2009, 11:17:35 AM by Fighting Illini Yankees »

Senate races
Lean Dem
Kentucky
Delaware
Conneticuit
New Hamsphire

Tossup
Ohio
Missouri

Colorado

Governor races
Tennessee
Virginia
Oklahoma

Colorado
Rhode Island Chafee
Wyoming
Minnesota
Hawaii
California

Predicted senate:
63D37R
Predicted governors:
26D24R
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2009, 07:57:55 PM »

Governor races-

GOP
Colorado (Depends who we get for the GOP nom)
Kansas
Oklahoma
Tennesse
New Jersey (for 2009)

DEM
California (most likely)
Virginia (for 2009)
Rhode Island
Hawaii (most likely)
Nevada (if the GOP renominates the current guy)

Toss-Up
Florida
Michigan
Pennsylvania

Senate Races
GOP

Connecticut (Dodd is almost a for sure no go)
Colorado (If Bennet is nominated)

Dem
Kentucky (If Bun wins nomination)

Toss-Up
Missouri
Ohio
Lousiania (Maybe)
Illinios
New York
Nevada

I haven't been paying too much attention to the Gubernatorial races, so I won't refute any of your claims on those *yet.* Tongue

As for the Senate races, I'm surprised you don't have New Hampshire under your Toss-Up category as I believe this seat (along with Missouri) is much more likely to flip than Kentucky.

Democrats have a top-tier candidate here in Missouri with Secretary of State Robin Carnahan who was reelected in 2008 with the most votes ever cast for a candidate in the state's history. Keep in mind that she also has the Carnahan name, and her opponent, U.S. Rep. Roy Blunt (R) has the Blunt name. Consider the following formula: Carnahan + Mel = Good, whereas Blunt + Matt = Bad. And while elections are usually always close and competitive in Missouri, I wouldn't be surprised if the Carnahan-Blunt senatorial race is a repeat of the Nixon-Hulshof gubernatorial race in 2008.

As for New Hampshire, the state is becoming bluer by the day. I wouldn't exactly call Paul Hodes a top-tier candidate but the Republicans don't appear to have much of a bench there unless perhaps Attorney General Kelly Ayotte runs in which case it could be close, but I'd still give the edge to Hodes especially if 2010 is a repeat of 2008 and the anti-GOP sentiment is still there. Perhaps Jeb Bradley could run, but I don't think he's that well known outside of the other side of the state, or Charlie Bass, or even John Sununu, but all three of these guys were ousted by Democrats in the past two election cycles.

Kentucky will be interesting, I'll give you that. Poor ole senile Jim Bunning keeps insisting that he's running despite claims from his own party to retire. Must be hard on such a nutter like him. Maybe they have ulterior motives like trying to pressure him so much that he has a mental breakdown and then they can deem him "mentally unstable" and unfit to run for the seat and who knows, maybe they'll send him away in a straight-jacket Cheesy hahaha. If Bunning survives, I'll give the seat to Attorney General Jack Conway or Lt. Gov. Dan Mongiardo (hopefully Conway). If the GOP gets a new recruit, I'd still put the seat as toss-up. Kentucky isn't as red as most states and without Barack Obama on the ticket in 2010, Democrats will do much better statewide. I'm sure the Democrats will go outta their way to get the big-guns (Clintons) into the Bluegrass State to campaign for their candidates.

Jeb Bradley is done for. He is running for the State Senate, and will likely lose.

As for Kentucky, the standard story line is Bunning will retire if he doesn't get enough fundraising by years end. Trey Grayson has an exploritory committee that is raising money and will likely have a million or two by the end of the year, and Bunning will have very little. So if this plays out the way it is told Bunning is gone and the Seat is Moderately to Strong GOP. If Bunning "pulls a Bunning" and reneges on this promise then of course all bets are off.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2009, 08:20:09 PM »

As of gubernatorial races Republicans would probably pick up Oklahoma (as Henry is retiring and I can't see a candidate to replace him), Kansas (as Sebelius is out, Parkinson is just a placeholder and Brownback is popular politician here),

If Freudenthal be able to challenge succesfully term limits, he'd be shoo-in for reelection/

It's to early to predict Michigan, Pennsylvania or Tennessee.

Democrats, on the other hand have a great chances in California (no one can replace Arnie on the Republican side), Hawaii (Lingle's out, the same situation), Rhode Island, Nevada and to retake Arizona with unelected Governor Brewer.

I have no earthly idea what would happen in Maine.
The Illinoisian
Rookie
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2009, 02:49:32 PM »

With Madigan not running against Quinn, and the GOP running some decent candidates finally, I think IL could revert to the days of a Dem legislature and a GOP Governor.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies