If you were British (or are British), would you support retaining the monarchy? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:05:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  If you were British (or are British), would you support retaining the monarchy? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: If you were British (or are British), would you support retaining the monarchy?  (Read 3785 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 28, 2009, 05:21:45 PM »

No.  The fishbowl that the Royals are forced to live in is something I would consider to be cruel and unusual punishment.  Free the Windsors!  End the monarchy!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 05:36:56 PM »

Eh, sure. Though it would be nice if they could somehow kick Charles out of the line of succession.

Charles could convert to Roman Catholicism and that would kick him as well as William and Harry out of the line of succession, making his brother Prince Andrew next in line.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 12:39:32 PM »

I'm a royalist and support the monarcy here in Sweden, so yes I would, of course.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would support this, William would be a better king.

If Charles converted that would only make him lose his claim to the throne, children of catholics can still inherit the British throne, as long as they were raised protestant.
[/quote]

Yes and no.  You are correct that I was mistaken as to the effect Charles' conversion would have on William and Harry as they would still be in line for the throne, but for children of Roman Catholics, it would depend on when the parent converted or marries a Roman, not whether they were raised Protestant.

Say for example that Princess Beatrice of York marries a Protestant, has a child, converts to being a Catholic and has a second child.  Even if both children are raised Protestant and are never professing Catholics, while the first child would be in the order of succession, the second would not, for under the Bill of Rights, 1689, for purposes of the succession, Beatrice would considered to be dead as of the moment of her conversion, and dead people can't generate heirs.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies