Would you die in Iraqi?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:02:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Would you die in Iraqi?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you be willing to give up you life in Iraqi?
Yes, The Iraqi War is worth my life
Yes, it is vital for the war on terror
No, but I am fine with US troops dying over there
No, Only Iraqis should die for Iraqi Freedom, not US Soldiers
No, it is not worth my life or anyone elses
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Would you die in Iraqi?  (Read 1825 times)
Donovan
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 05, 2004, 12:07:00 AM »

I think in order for us to validate if Iraqi is worth our troops dying for, we need to ask the question if you are willing to die for the cause ourself.

I ran into a young man that was in the military, we had lunch together at a local Taco Bell. He believed in the Iraqi War and what we were doing over there. I asked him why he wasn't over there. He said he didn't want to go over there and die. But he said others should. I thought that was incredibily selfish and rather hypocritical. I doubt many Bush Supporters think this way. But to be sure, I want to know how many people asking for the lives of are soldiers are also willing to give their own for the cause.

I would die for the causes of WWII, maybe WWI, the Civil War, the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and, maybe the Spanish American War, I would even be willing to die for the Cold War. But I wouldn't ask anyone to die for this war. What do you all think? Please discuss.
qwerty
ghwbush
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 12:17:13 AM »

Yes, proudly.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 12:20:28 AM »

Its not the job of soldiers to give their lives, only to risk their lives.  In your question, there is a certainty of outcome that doesn't exist for soldiers and there fore makes the question the wrong one.  Unless an option of "I would risk my life." instead of "I would give my life" is up there, then it isn't really a fair question.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 12:23:23 AM »

This isn't really a fair question....the more fair question is would be: Are you willing to undergo to risks of dying and/or being injured in this war that the soldiers do?

There are very few causes that we are willing to die for, if death is certain.  But there are many "causes" we are willing to risk our life for.  Constructions workers risk their lives on major constructions projects; I'm sure they wouldn't say the building they are working on is worth dying for.  Everyday, most of us risk our lives for the "cause" of driving to work, knowing there is a chance we will be in a car accident.  But we are willing to do it because the risk is small.  The risk of this war is of course much higher than that, but still fairly remote.

So our soldiers may not be willing to die for the cause, but they are willing to risk their lives for it, and that is how this question must be answered.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 12:24:35 AM »

Didn't see your post there Ford before I started mine...looks like we have the same idea here.
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 12:35:39 AM »

Its not the job of soldiers to give their lives, only to risk their lives.  In your question, there is a certainty of outcome that doesn't exist for soldiers and there fore makes the question the wrong one.  Unless an option of "I would risk my life." instead of "I would give my life" is up there, then it isn't really a fair question.

I understand what you are saying. And to an extent I agree. However, two thoughts made me change my mind on that wording.

1) Soldiers have already died. So it is not a "what if" statement.

2) If a soldier is not willing to die, he probably isn't a going to do a good job. I would not want to fight in a war I believed in with other guys that didn't believe in the cause.
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 12:37:13 AM »

Didn't see your post there Ford before I started mine...looks like we have the same idea here.

I would vote for the second one then Gov. Nick. Willing to give your life, is kind of the same thing when you fight. Atleast that is the way I think about it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 04:46:05 PM »

Hell no!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 04:49:17 PM »

option 3
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 08:26:46 PM »

I understand what you are saying. And to an extent I agree. However, two thoughts made me change my mind on that wording.

1) Soldiers have already died. So it is not a "what if" statement.

2) If a soldier is not willing to die, he probably isn't a going to do a good job. I would not want to fight in a war I believed in with other guys that didn't believe in the cause.

Wrong.  The primary mission of even soldier is to come back alive.  The primary mission of any officer is to get his/her troops back alive.
MA Liberal

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 08:28:48 PM »

Yes
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 08:36:07 PM »

If the question were reworded "Would you be willing to risk your life in Iraq"  I would say "yes".  But those brave men and women are over there so we don't have to be.  They understand the risks.

Now, I have contemplated joining the military after college, so this question is not purely achademic for me.  But I have much to consider.  There are some people who honestly aren't cut out for military service.  One cannot just go and say that because someone else is not willing to "get their crack to Iraq", as our old friend Alfie was so fond of saying, that that person is somehow being hypocritical.  Nor should we act as though the soldiers are victims of war.  They signed on for this.  No one forced them.  They deserve our support, not the supposed pity of the Left.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2004, 10:17:12 PM »

If I were a member of our Armed Forces, I would gladly give up my life, whether I agreed with the war I was fighting or not.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies