Opinion of the Ottoman Empire
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:53:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Opinion of the Ottoman Empire
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of the Ottoman Empire
Very Positive

Positive

Neutral

Negative

Very Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Opinion of the Ottoman Empire  (Read 7842 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2009, 01:36:19 AM »

Pure evil. One of the greatest abominations that has ever existed. The day it was abolished and the evil was cleansed from the Earth is a day worthy of celebration. Option 5.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 02:33:47 AM »

They kept the Arabs and Jews from killing each other, that's got to count for something right?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 02:44:45 AM »

Very negative.

Not only it was a ruthless and callous regime, but it stifled any kind of intelectual activity and progressive thought.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 03:37:02 AM »

Very negative and even that isn't enough. Beside the countless atrocities they committed, they held slowed the  development of all the regions they controlled.
Their policies are also at the root of nearly all Balkan and most Mideastern conflicts.
They kept the Arabs and Jews from killing each other, that's got to count for something right?
There very few Jews while they controlled Palestine.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 05:04:45 AM »

Very negative.

Not only it was a ruthless and callous regime, but it stifled any kind of intelectual activity and progressive thought.

From what I understand, that's a big part of fundamentalist Islam.  Authors, for example, have to create works within the existing literary realm, essentially rehashing and mixing what their predecessors have written before.

Anyway, very negative.  Do we have any Greeks here?  I'm sure their opinions would be...fun to read.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 05:10:26 AM »

Very negative.

From what I understand, that's a big part of fundamentalist Islam.  Authors, for example, have to create works within the existing literary realm, essentially rehashing and mixing what their predecessors have written before.

Anyway, very negative.  Do we have any Greeks here?  I'm sure their opinions would be...fun to read.
Px75 is Greek, and I'm from Bulgaria, which suffered even more.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 05:14:56 AM »

Negative, obviously. But no worse than most of the countries of its day (not really thinking of its slow terminal 19th century decline, which is other people's fault besides its own).
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 05:17:44 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2009, 05:23:10 AM by GMantis »

Negative, obviously. But no worse than most of the countries of its day (not really thinking of its slow terminal 19th century decline, which is other people's fault besides its own).

Did most of the countries of the day kidnap non-Christian children, in order to turn them by brainwashing into fanatical Christian soldiers?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 05:22:53 AM »

Did most of the countries of the day kidnap non-Christian children, in order to brainwash into fanatical Christian soldiers?
The Spanish certainly did as well. The Germans tried the approach for a while too, actually, but not for very long and several centuries earlier.

If we're just thinking of "kidnapping", well there's the slave trade...
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 05:26:22 AM »

Very negative.

Px75 is Greek, and I'm from Bulgaria, which suffered even more.

Indeed.  I imagine your position on Turkey's potential entrance into the EU is easy to decipher.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 05:28:21 AM »

Did most of the countries of the day kidnap non-Christian children, in order to brainwash into fanatical Christian soldiers?
The Spanish certainly did as well. The Germans tried the approach for a while too, actually, but not for very long and several centuries earlier.

The Spanish? Who and when?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 05:35:36 AM »

Do we have any Armenians?  They probably win the "we hate the Ottomans more" contest.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 11:41:57 AM »

The Spanish? Who and when?

Native Americans of the "wild" nations along their border of settlement, almost to the very end of their colonial empire there.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 04:59:26 PM »

Certainly an awful empire, though the history of the Ottoman Empire is a fascinating subject. In strategy games that cover the period, I generally play as the Ottomans.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 05:30:08 PM »

I knew a certain poster from Rumelia Bulgaria would dominate this thread the second I saw it.

Gets a worse rap than it deserves, though I'm certainly no apologist for it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 01:18:02 AM »

Certainly an awful empire, though the history of the Ottoman Empire is a fascinating subject. In strategy games that cover the period, I generally play as the Ottomans.

Funny, when I played Civ III one thing I loved was playing as Christian civilizations and having wars with the Ottomans. I once had an awesome game where my French empire basically dominated one continent and they dominated the other and we had a sort of Cold War. In the end I won on a cultural victory.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 02:35:14 AM »

I knew a certain poster from Rumelia Bulgaria would dominate this thread the second I saw it.

This once again proves that one's opinion of Turkey is inversely proportional to one's distance from Turkey.
Why do you think that an Empire which abducted children to turn them into soldiers, which encouraged enslaving raids against most of Europe, which caused a demographic catastrophe whenever it arrived and which spent most of the last decades of its existence in ethnically cleansing all Christians doesn't deserve its reputation?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 04:47:35 AM »

Very negative.

Long live the Byzantine Empire... Sad
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 05:21:18 AM »

My first thought was very negative. Then I thought to myself that this opinion was just a by-product of my ethnic and religious prejudices from historical inheritance. Then I saw the Balkan posters and thought "what the hell, no one is going to notice that from ME"

Very negative it is.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 05:30:37 AM »

My first thought was very negative. Then I thought to myself that this opinion was just a by-product of my ethnic and religious prejudices from historical inheritance. Then I saw the Balkan posters and thought "what the hell, no one is going to notice that from ME"

Very negative it is.
Actually, I have a positive opinion of Turks and I'm generaly tolerant of Islam per se. It's the combination of the two under a despotic monarchy that I find extremely negative.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »

This once again proves that one's opinion of Turkey is inversely proportional to one's distance from Turkey.
Why do you think that an Empire which abducted children to turn them into soldiers, which encouraged enslaving raids against most of Europe, which caused a demographic catastrophe whenever it arrived and which spent most of the last decades of its existence in ethnically cleansing all Christians doesn't deserve its reputation?

The Ottomans, up until their final century, were much more tolerant of Christians (and Jews) within their borders than their Christian neighbors like the Habsburgs were of Protestants living within their borders.  The millet system was surprisingly advanced for its day.

The Janissaries were, of course, a blight on their record that is far too large to ignore, but the Janissaries themselves were one of the most powerful factions within Ottoman society and had a good deal of influence.  While obviously not condoning the kidnapping, a Serbian kid kidnapped into the Janissaries would be a great deal more powerful and probably have a much more high-status life than his brothers and sisters who remained.

Granted, in the 1800s, the Ottomans started getting much more oppressive, and by the rule of the Young Turks and especially World War I they were just plain horrible.  But early on?  One should compare the Ottomans to the Malmuks, Safavids, and their other such rivals, not to today's nations.  They come off pretty well against them.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 04:33:06 PM »

Ehh neutral/lean negative.  Certainly more tolerant of minorities within their empire than the British and they even gave the Irish aid during the Famine plus they kept Palestine in line.  Of course their biggest issues were the Armenian genocide and their issues with the Greeks.  Also, one has to remember their client states the Barbary which ravaged the coastlines of Europe and took over 1 million slaves. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 04:50:47 PM »

Funny, when I played Civ III one thing I loved was playing as Christian civilizations and having wars with the Ottomans. I once had an awesome game where my French empire basically dominated one continent and they dominated the other and we had a sort of Cold War. In the end I won on a cultural victory.

I usually play as Russia in Europa Univeralist II and sometimes in Victoria:Revolutions and I usually enjoy carving up the dead carcass that is the Ottoman Empire.

Very negative.

Long live the Byzantine Empire... Sad

I have a much higher opinion of the Byzantines then the Ottomans.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 04:58:50 PM »

The Ottomans, up until their final century, were much more tolerant of Christians (and Jews) within their borders than their Christian neighbors like the Habsburgs were of Protestants living within their borders.  The millet system was surprisingly advanced for its day.

The Janissaries were, of course, a blight on their record that is far too large to ignore, but the Janissaries themselves were one of the most powerful factions within Ottoman society and had a good deal of influence.  While obviously not condoning the kidnapping, a Serbian kid kidnapped into the Janissaries would be a great deal more powerful and probably have a much more high-status life than his brothers and sisters who remained.

Granted, in the 1800s, the Ottomans started getting much more oppressive, and by the rule of the Young Turks and especially World War I they were just plain horrible.  But early on?  One should compare the Ottomans to the Malmuks, Safavids, and their other such rivals, not to today's nations.  They come off pretty well against them.

I would agree with this (and what Lewis said as well).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 12:41:29 AM »

Byzantines = Christian
Ottomans = Muslim
Byzantines > Ottomans