I'm rather surprised how many people don't know any gays
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:34:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I'm rather surprised how many people don't know any gays
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: I'm rather surprised how many people don't know any gays  (Read 4065 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 01:36:53 PM »

I guess the nation is not the same in general as my neck of the woods. "Everybody" knows gay folks as it were. It is just part of the landscape.

This surprises me as well... pretty much everybody knows someone that's gay around here, too.  I know many people that are gay.  There were a lot of openly gay kids in my high school.

And we're kinda in the middle of nowhere and we have a lot of hicks as well, so this really surprises me... we're not exactly open-mind-central here.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 01:54:09 PM »

Maybe they meant "know" in the Biblical sense.  Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 03:14:07 PM »

I guess the nation is not the same in general as my neck of the woods. "Everybody" knows gay folks as it were. It is just part of the landscape.

This surprises me as well... pretty much everybody knows someone that's gay around here, too.  I know many people that are gay.  There were a lot of openly gay kids in my high school.

And we're kinda in the middle of nowhere and we have a lot of hicks as well, so this really surprises me... we're not exactly open-mind-central here.

Well, maybe people took "personally know" to mean that they are a friend or relative.

What surprises me is that I live in a pretty liberal area, yet there are very few openly gay people around.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 03:23:19 PM »

Some gays don't do anal sex at all Smiley As Stephen Fry said it isn't the 'Holy Grail' of homosexuality and homosexual sex.

That's funny, because as a 'straight' it is the holy grail for me! 
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2009, 03:24:20 PM »

Depending on what part of the country you live its possible to not know any openly gay people/ flamers.   But keep in mind there's a lot of bisexual men and you probably wouldn't know it by being around them. 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »

Depending on what part of the country you live its possible to not know any openly gay people/ flamers.   But keep in mind there's a lot of bisexual men and you probably wouldn't know it by being around them. 

Most gays are not 'flamers.'
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2009, 04:58:22 PM »

I think he thinks that "openly gay men" are people you can identify as being gay within three seconds of them talking or less.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2009, 05:24:44 PM »

I think he thinks that "openly gay men" are people you can identify as being gay within three seconds of them talking or less.

I don't know about you but i can tell within a realistic 5 mins or just by observation.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 05:27:31 PM »

Actually, gaydar has been held up with statistically significant results, but the effect isn't very strong; people are only slightly more likely than chance to be correct in their hunches (so if the experiment is structured so that the pictures people are looking at are 50-50 straight-gay they might get perhaps 57% right).  The effect does not seem to be contingent on how long someone looks at the pictures, so people can tell at a glance.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 05:35:56 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2009, 05:40:24 PM by MK IN GA »

Actually, gaydar has been held up with statistically significant results, but the effect isn't very strong; people are only slightly more likely than chance to be correct in their hunches (so if the experiment is structured so that the pictures people are looking at are 50-50 straight-gay they might get perhaps 57% right).  The effect does not seem to be contingent on how long someone looks at the pictures, so people can tell at a glance.

I'm pretty good at it.  

Bisexuals are imposable to detect because most of them are "str8 acting" in public settings.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2009, 05:40:31 PM »

Where does one go to test their gaydar?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »

A gathering of congressional Republicans.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009, 06:28:45 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2009, 06:31:42 PM by Verily »

That's just looking at pictures, which is only part of it. Obviously there are cues other than the actual facial form and whatnot--certain mannerisms which tend to be adopted, certain patterns of speech. Of course, it's unclear whether these are actually an inherent part of being gay or something affected (probably often unconsciously), but they do tend to be present in most gay men.

Lesbians are a whole different story, and in my experience much more difficult to pick out outside of those who make their sexuality plain intentionally. But certainly there are gay men who are not obviously gay at all as well.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2009, 07:25:12 PM »

To be honest, I do have a very good gaydar - not for pictures so much, but definitely with actual interaction, especially as an observer rather than a participator in a conversation.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2009, 07:31:03 PM »

I consider my gaydar rather good, and though I know Mike is an idiot and all, there have been studies that I've seen that show you can sort of tell if a guy is gay or not by their voice. (Not 100% of the time, obviously, but more often than not.)
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2009, 07:54:51 PM »

I consider my gaydar rather good, and though I know Mike is an idiot and all, there have been studies that I've seen that show you can sort of tell if a guy is gay or not by their voice. (Not 100% of the time, obviously, but more often than not.)

I know Marokai is a glorified troll.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »

Moderator notice: Stop.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2009, 08:32:25 PM »

He took the cheap shot at me like you and other moderators allow. Then when I dish it  back you want to call the foul.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2009, 08:39:51 PM »

Is this an all-way stop?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2009, 09:15:02 PM »

The poll asks "have told you they are gay." It's likely there are many people who know people who are gay, know they know people who are gay, but have never openly broached the subject. It's an awkward thing to say, and not always necessary. How many people this covers, I don't know.

Secondly, gaydar for me is less about mannerisms than about how men interact with me. Eye contact, comfort level, etc.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2009, 10:50:59 PM »

He took the cheap shot at me like you and other moderators allow. Then when I dish it  back you want to call the foul.

Moderator notice: "An eye for an eye" is not considered a valid excuse.  Moderators are not some organized shadow group, and if you have a problem with a post, you're supposed to PM us.  Also, stop using sports metaphors.

All but the last sentence of that is official.  Any further questions about when you can do personal attacks (never), PM me.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2009, 11:01:35 PM »

omg alcon is gay, let's attack him
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2009, 11:05:20 PM »

There is a gay couple who lives in our cul-de-sac.  Just a couple of middle-aged white guys who quietly go about their lives.  I wave at them and exchange pleasantries with them, and once engaged in conversation with one of them who wanted advice about what kind of car he should get to replace the one he had.  Apart from these fleeting exchanges, I largely leave them alone and we go our separate ways.    
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2009, 11:07:07 PM »

The poll asks "have told you they are gay." It's likely there are many people who know people who are gay, know they know people who are gay, but have never openly broached the subject. It's an awkward thing to say, and not always necessary. How many people this covers, I don't know.

Secondly, gaydar for me is less about mannerisms than about how men interact with me. Eye contact, comfort level, etc.

Curious... would that be more comfortable or less comfortable for men you interact with who are gay? That is, uncomfortable as in "potential romantic interest", or comfortable as in "not awkward about emotions, etc."?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2009, 11:08:20 PM »

that would depend on whether Brittain is a good catch or not Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies