Wikipedia bans Scientology
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:47:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wikipedia bans Scientology
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Wikipedia bans Scientology  (Read 1990 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 11:57:11 AM »

Why is that? I don't really see disputes on those pages although I haven't read most of them. Can you point me to a specific case?
I have yet to see *one* such page confirming to anything approaching wiki standards (I don't mind the Indian English of these pages, that's sort of cute)... of course almost all authors are members of the community in question. (While lower castes articles are usually copied out of some sociology book of fifty years ago, and are usually of stub length though there are surprising exceptions.)
It tends to get crassest when the group's status is at least somewhat ambiguous rather than universally accepted as high (of course, that really applies to the vast majority of modern "kshatriya"). Check the Meena page, for instance, for a hilarious example. That one actually seems to have had edit wars... usually nobody cares.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 11:21:19 PM »

The misleading title of this thread (and the intro of the TB article) reminds me of

The title is a perfectly accurate description of the fact.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 11:38:58 PM »

The misleading title of this thread (and the intro of the TB article) reminds me of

The title is a perfectly accurate description of the fact.

Maybe "Scientologists" (and not all of them), but certainly not Scientology, last i checked Scientology still has a lengthy article
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 04:18:06 AM »

As that article said, it's not just various scientologists but various critics of scientology that've been banned.  Indeed, as it says on the label, it's a free encyclopaedia that anyone can edit, but there are limits to everything.  The people who run Wikipedia need its articles to maintain factual credibility and accuracy, and edit wars do nothing to help this.  If this decision helps to ensure that more of the information that we read on that site is true, credible and accurate, then it's a good one.  It's not like that they're arbitrarily banning people for the heck of it!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies