Capital Punishment Abolition Amendment to the Constitution (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:57:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Capital Punishment Abolition Amendment to the Constitution (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Capital Punishment Abolition Amendment to the Constitution (Passed)  (Read 4215 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2009, 09:10:26 AM »
« edited: June 05, 2009, 03:51:10 PM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

Capital Punishment Abolition Amendment to the Constitution

Capital punishment is entirely abolished. It may never be used by the federal or regional governments under any circumstances.

Spon: Sen. Franzl
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 09:12:10 AM »

I wasn't supposed to introduce this because of anti-clogging but there's nothing left in the queue and after the 2 bills that are on bgwah's deks are gone there won't be anything left. So I don't think anyone will really care that I did this. Tongue
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 11:53:57 AM »

I fully support this.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 11:55:52 AM »

I urge all Senators to oppose this legislation.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 12:59:57 PM »

I urge all Senators to oppose this legislation.
`

I'm terribly surprised about this.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 01:05:37 PM »

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 02:42:43 PM »

Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 03:01:52 PM »

I really don't like this because I believe each region should also have the right to choose if they want to have Capital Punishment. But, if this passes I will not lose any sleep.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 08:39:49 PM »

I support this, but the wording is a bit awkward.  FTR, this has been tried before (passed by the Senate, but only ratified by the Midwest and Pacific), using the following phrasing:

Constitutional Amendment to Prohibit Capital Punishment

1. Article VI shall be amended to include a new clause as follows: "No person may receive the death penalty as punishment for any crime."
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 08:40:46 PM »

I propose a friendly amendment to change the text of this amendment to:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 02:43:09 AM »

accepted as friendly
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 03:40:01 PM »

I've given this thought, & I'm not sure that capital punishment is something that should be necessarily ruled out for regions to use in extreme cases.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 03:41:54 PM »

I've given this thought, & I'm not sure that capital punishment is something that should be necessarily ruled out for regions to use in extreme cases.

Why should it be any different than for the federal government?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 03:49:14 PM »

I would prefer generally decentralized power. Regions have the freedom to eliminate the death penalty themselves, but I don't see the great need to force it on a region that does not wish to forgo the option of using the death penalty.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 03:58:29 PM »

I would prefer generally decentralized power. Regions have the freedom to eliminate the death penalty themselves, but I don't see the great need to force it on a region that does not wish to forgo the option of using the death penalty.

I generally agree with the sentiment...but it seems like some things have to be restricted at the highest possible level. You wouldn't support allowing regions to decide if they wanted to use torture, would you?

Now you may claim that the death penalty is different....but for me at least, the only difference is current legality.

I think the federal government has the right...and the responsibility...to use its power accordingly to protect human rights.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 04:00:51 PM »

I agree with this. I do not have any inherent opposition to the death penalty on ethical or moral grounds, but rather for financial reasons. Assuming a region is willing to undertake the financial burden of capital punishment, I do not believe the federal government should be able to compel them to remove the death penalty.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 04:07:44 PM »

I generally agree with the sentiment...but it seems like some things have to be restricted at the highest possible level. You wouldn't support allowing regions to decide if they wanted to use torture, would you?

Now you may claim that the death penalty is different....but for me at least, the only difference is current legality.

I think the federal government has the right...and the responsibility...to use its power accordingly to protect human rights.

I think the death penalty, carried out properly, could be considered more humane than life imprisonment without possibility of parole, especially for younger offenders who may face 60-70 years in prison. I would gladly support an amendment mandating that any executions occur via guillotine, but I do not know about this. I may just choose to abstain, but I don't know yet.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 04:10:35 PM »

I think the death penalty, carried out properly, could be considered more humane than life imprisonment without possibility of parole, especially for younger offenders who may face 60-70 years in prison. I would gladly support an amendment mandating that any executions occur via guillotine, but I do not know about this. I may just choose to abstain, but I don't know yet.

Fair enough. It's a a personal opinion, of course.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 07:18:29 PM »

I agree that the federal government has the right to dictate the treatment of its citizens, within the boundaries of its own jurisdiction. The government may certainly amend the Constitution to read that an Atlasian citizen's right to life may not be abridged while in Atlasia.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 01:14:28 PM »

I request a vote.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 02:10:10 PM »

I hereby open up a final vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Nay
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 02:20:25 PM »

Aye
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 02:33:42 PM »

If we're going to make a statement by outlawing the death penalty (trampling over regional rights in the process), we might as well go and formally outlaw abortion as well -there's no reason why Atlasia should decide that the lives of criminals are of more worth than that of the unborn. 
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 03:16:17 PM »

AYE.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar