Democratic Alliance Convention: May-June 2009 - ENDORSEMENT VOTE
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:30:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Democratic Alliance Convention: May-June 2009 - ENDORSEMENT VOTE
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Democratic Alliance Convention: May-June 2009 - ENDORSEMENT VOTE  (Read 10501 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2009, 06:56:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You think you could fill the new members in?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2009, 07:01:13 PM »

I'm sorry; I forgot that we had some new starts! However the issue is to do with our wider strategy that I feel has came back and bit our behinds.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2009, 05:33:06 AM »

AYE to everything
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2009, 09:12:23 AM »

I'm sorry; I forgot that we had some new starts! However the issue is to do with our wider strategy that I feel has came back and bit our behinds.

Fact is I agree but we can't take it back, only hope for a better one in the future.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2009, 09:55:58 AM »

Fact is I agree but we can't take it back, only hope for a better one in the future.

I'm not sure we have lost any standing. There was apparently some confusion over exactly what our strategy was, lost in translation, but we did win five Senate seats (although who knows what will happen to the fifth one now).
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2009, 05:13:42 PM »

Aye to all of the platform FTR
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2009, 07:49:11 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2009, 07:50:50 PM by du Guesclin is a Traitor »

OK, amendments are adopted.

I'll open the endorsements vote for the by-election in a few days, but first I'll let the candidates in the by-election speak to the floor if they wish.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2009, 10:48:05 PM »

I thank you for the opportunity to address this convention (again).  Smiley

My friends, I am not going to argue ideology here, it is quite obvious who is on the left and who is on the right in this election.  As a former member, my impression of the DA is that the party is more concerned with forum matters than with ideology.  I want what is best for Atlasia.  Read my statement of position iny campaign thread.  If we disagree on this, then perhaps you should vote to endorse DWTL.  I am a very analytical and level-headed individual- an accountant by profession- and I will fight to do what is best for the country.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2009, 10:27:52 PM »

I would also like to thank you all for the oppurtunity to address you

As Fritz said, the ideolgocial choice is clear, one of us leans more to the left and the other one to the right.  But the question is, which is the better choice for a party made up of centrists who concern themselves with forum affairs?  For that the choice is clear that I am your option.  I have a economic conservative stance, something that would definitley appeal to most of your members.  In a senate dominated by the JCP, I offer a refreshing alternative, and not something unknown.  My social conservatism is also vastly overstated, aside from my pro-life stance, I am for the most part a civil libertarian.  Forum affairs?  I have passed numerous passes of legislation aimed at making Atlasian easier and more user friendly.

Sure, I come with some baggage and haven't always been the most popular person, but I know how to get things done.  I know when to compromise and I know when to hold my ground.  Just ask your own senator, Franzl.  In the last senate we worked on a few bills and were able to hammer them out into something that suited almost every member of the senate.  Don't think I am going there to simply put a rubber stamp on everything conservative.  In fact, I am going there and will be able to help you out blocking legislation that you find too leftist that is proposed by the JCP.

In short, I may not be the perfect fit for your party, but I am pretty damn close.  Remember, it was largely my idea to run a joint ticket with you in the presidential election.  I find the RPP and DA have a healthy relationship and help us grow that and follow your fellow member, Gov. AndrewCT, and possibly more in endorsing my candidacy.

Thank you
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2009, 10:40:05 PM »

As Fritz said, the ideolgocial choice is clear, one of us leans more to the left and the other one to the right.  But the question is, which is the better choice for a party made up of centrists who concern themselves with forum affairs?  For that the choice is clear that I am your option.  I have a economic conservative stance, something that would definitley appeal to most of your members.  In a senate dominated by the JCP, I offer a refreshing alternative, and not something unknown.  My social conservatism is also vastly overstated, aside from my pro-life stance, I am for the most part a civil libertarian.  Forum affairs?  I have passed numerous passes of legislation aimed at making Atlasian easier and more user friendly.

Sure, I come with some baggage and haven't always been the most popular person, but I know how to get things done.  I know when to compromise and I know when to hold my ground.  Just ask your own senator, Franzl.  In the last senate we worked on a few bills and were able to hammer them out into something that suited almost every member of the senate.  Don't think I am going there to simply put a rubber stamp on everything conservative.  In fact, I am going there and will be able to help you out blocking legislation that you find too leftist that is proposed by the JCP.

In short, I may not be the perfect fit for your party, but I am pretty damn close.  Remember, it was largely my idea to run a joint ticket with you in the presidential election.  I find the RPP and DA have a healthy relationship and help us grow that and follow your fellow member, Gov. AndrewCT, and possibly more in endorsing my candidacy.

Thank you

I have always appreciated your honesty and, more recently, willingness to work with DA members to pass legislation in your last Senate term. With you, I know what I'm getting, which is a passionate ideologue willing to bend to ensure the best for Atlasia.

With that, I offer you a full endorsement in your special Senate race. I would also urge my fellow DA members, as your Deputy Leader, to give your endorsement votes and first preferences to DWTL for Senate.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2009, 10:42:04 PM »

Thank you PurpleState very much for our kind words, I work forward to, if elected, working to continue the healthy debates of the last senates.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2009, 10:42:09 PM »

Thank you

How is the Senate "dominated" by the JCP? Last time I checked there's just two of us. Two out of ten. There are twice as many DA members in the Senate than JCP.

Also, "leftist legislation" is usually shot down or compromised. Max and I are the only Social Democratic strong-economically-leftist members of the Senate. MJ, Tmth, North Carolina Yankee, and Afleitch are economic conservatives, Franzl and Hashemite are economically centrist, Purple State is a moderate liberal. You offer no "alternative."

I have always appreciated your honesty and, more recently, willingness to work with DA members to pass legislation in your last Senate term. With you, I know what I'm getting, which is a passionate ideologue willing to bend to ensure the best for Atlasia.

With that, I offer you a full endorsement in your special Senate race. I would also urge my fellow DA members, as your Deputy Leader, to give your endorsement votes and first preferences to DWTL for Senate.

You guys sure are desperate for influence, aren't you? Smiley
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #112 on: July 06, 2009, 10:45:50 PM »

Heh, I don't imagine for a second that I can influence DWTL. Wink But I enjoyed working with DWTL the first time and wouldn't mind another opportunity. Also, I have no problems with divided government. Gotta keep the power balanced.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2009, 10:49:50 PM »

Heh, I don't imagine for a second that I can influence DWTL. Wink But I enjoyed working with DWTL the first time and wouldn't mind another opportunity. Also, I have no problems with divided government. Gotta keep the power balanced.

Fair enough. Wink
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2009, 10:51:45 PM »

Just to let everyone know I have already endorsed and either way will vote for Fritz.  He is widely respected in Atlasia and always has been respectful in return.  Unlike his "dignified" opponent.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2009, 10:59:23 PM »

HW, when was I discordial in senate business?  When was I not willing to work with other senators and compromise? 

Just because I can get a tad narsty in campaign does not make me a bad senator, it just makes me a person who is interested in getting the job done.  Kindness /= success
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2009, 11:04:27 PM »

HW, when was I discordial in senate business?  When was I not willing to work with other senators and compromise? 

Just because I can get a tad narsty in campaign does not make me a bad senator, it just makes me a person who is interested in getting the job done.  Kindness /= success

Then how do you explain me?  I am always kind and cordial unless someone is not to me and yet I do a good job myself.  I get the job done without being nasty.  I think anyone who can't is just showing simple weakness.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2009, 11:08:17 PM »

Alright, alright. We have all said things in the past that may not have been for the best, but we can try to keep it nice in the Convention. The Convention floor is not setup for a brawl.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2009, 11:09:12 PM »

HW your strategy may work for you but it just does not work for me.  You have kind of just been there, no offense, you never really made a bold daring move.  I challenged those who said conservatives were done in Atlasia and helped create a party that gave them a voice.  The role of a common senator and that of a party leader are different.  

I'm not saying your ideals of being cordial and kind to everyone you meet cannot work for you, but it simply cannot work to not ruffle some feathers.  If I had just sat back and been cordial all the time, the RPP would not exist.  It is knowing when to be cordial and when to ruffle some feathers that makes for success.  I don't think that my attitude has ever affected my ability to be a great senator.

If you do not agree with that, fine, but that is my position and I am not wavering on that.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2009, 11:14:17 PM »

Note: DA has four seats, RPP three seats and JCP two seats. I fail to see how we dominate and how another RPPer will help to block JCP. 4-3-3 is more balanced than 4-4-2. Electing a leftish Senator will help to block too rightish bill from the RPP. Sorry to interupt your Convention.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2009, 11:16:01 PM »

Note: DA has four seats, RPP three seats and JCP two seats. I fail to see how we dominate and how another RPPer will help to block JCP. 4-3-3 is more balanced than 4-4-2. Electing a leftish Senator will help to block too rightish bill from the RPP. Sorry to interupt your Convention.
You have the presidency to block any bill you do not like
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2009, 11:18:30 PM »

Opposition would have still seven votes, enough for a veto override.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2009, 11:30:47 PM »

Opposition would have still seven votes, enough for a veto override.

Not to be a nuisance, but as a side point, the DA is centrist, not a guaranteed right-of-center vote. So it is likely a number of us will side with Lief a decent chunk of the time. There are no definite veto overrides, just as there are no DA yes-men for the JCP agenda. We will divide according to our own preferences.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2009, 04:04:05 AM »

I'll say this before I leave for Barcelona (and as such miss the election!)

I think the Senate has been very cordial, some say too cordial and has been very successful. Much of that success is down to the actions of the PPT Master Jedi who has performed outstandingly in his role. And I think that we have been a better Senate of late.

I don't believe DWTL added much to the game that we need to bring back; the game has outgrown that style of personal politiking and 'smoke and mirrors' inter party diplomacy. There is nothing to suggest that DWTL has moved on from this; in face he wants to pick up where he started from. I've been part of this game for a good few years, and like many have played different roles keeping it varied. DWTL has remained boringly similar.

It's getting old now.

I think he needs a spell in the wilderness, as we all do from time to time to reflect, to try something new, to becomes more involved in grassroots issues.

So I'm backing something new; I'm backing Fritz.

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2009, 09:07:07 AM »

With all due respect, I highly disagree with your assessment that I have never changed and become a boring old act.  When I first joined this game, I could not get elected to anything, that was a time when I was overly abrasive and frankly did not deserve a shot at elected office.  During my first senate term, I introduced a lot of bills that made little to no sense and was not entirely productive.  After that, I did not take a lot of time off as you suggested to really think about the game.

When I came back, I found the game in a state that was entirely unacceptable.  Conservatives that I had been proud to work with were fleeing the game entirely as it became too difficult for any of them to win.  At this point, I went in a new direction.  With a few close allies and nothing else, especially no guarantees, I threatened secession.  I really meant this despite what some may say.  In the end, I fought hard to make sure that conservatives had a voice.  Say what you want, but I, and I'm sure many others believe that for the most part I responsible for restoring a conservative voice back to Atlasia.  Is that is a tired and boring act, I apoligize.  But I have always done what I have thought is best for the game.  When you have run for office, I have admitted that we do not share political values or outlook and that is why I have endorsed you.  Please do not let others feel that is anything more than your old and tiresome politics.  That is why you are not endorsing me and never have.  I welcome the support of other members of your party who realize there is nothing old and tiresome about me.  I am not a newbie, but I bring a lot to the table never failing to go out on a limb to improve the game.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies