Marokai Blue for Senator: Re-election time is-a comin'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:53:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Marokai Blue for Senator: Re-election time is-a comin'
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: Marokai Blue for Senator: Re-election time is-a comin'  (Read 16830 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 05:40:50 PM »

In order to have true balance wouldn't we need a conservative to win?

As far as I can tell, the current senate is 8 conservatives and moderates, and only 1 liberal (though I still want tmthforu94 to win).

No, We have:

Four Libertarians: Franzl, DWTL, Afleitch and PiT
Four Liberals: BaconKing, Purple State, Happy Warrior and realisticidealis
Two Conservatives: Master Jedi and Smid.

I would hardly call HW and Realisticidealist liberals. Most of those are -3, -.5, basically. I wouldn't call that liberal. Baconking is a social liberal, but a centrist economically.

DWTL is now gone and Smid will be replaced by Heshmite(I am proabably spelling that wrong). realisticidealist is going to be reaplaced by MaxQue.

If things go the way the are now the RPP will have only 2 senators left(Jedi and myself, ironic that just a short time ago we were going for 6 seats and a majority.)  so I don't now how Vepres came up with 8 conservatives and centrists. The lack of substantive debate may be an unfortunate side effect of the rise of the DA and the subsequent relignment caused by it: division of the RPP-JCP alliance and its replacement with a RPP-DA alliance, The forced merger of the JCP-SDP. We got some unfamiliar bed fellows these days folks, combine that with a cadre of centrist senators and this is the result a bunch of gentleman fighting only over who should hold the door open for the other.

Social conservatism isn't really a widely held view here in Atlasia, honestly, so It makes sense that there is a lack of that particular ideology in the Senate. But HappyWarrior, Purple State, and Bacon King are pretty much moderate Senators, not counting the solidly Libertarian PiT and the outgoing solid Conservative Smid.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 05:41:37 PM »

I would like to take the time to address a couple things here at my campaign office..

Another idea I can throw out there would be a weekly recap of what went on in the senate, written and published in the Atlas Fantasy Election forum so everyone can see which bill was voted on and who voted nay or yay. For the year and a half I've been in Atlas, I never knew for the life of me what was going on in the Senate. Sure, I was lazy, but I don't expect everyone to read through pages and pages of jibber jabber to find out answers.

Unfortunately that is the responsibility of the people who have newspapers, but they seem to have fallen behind through all the important events.

I think, though, that this could end up making the current problem worse, which is that the Senate is a little too hand-holdy and conciliatory all in an effort to pass as much legislation as possible and it results in minimal discussion and minimal debate. Truthfully, I don't care if each Senate only passes a half a dozen or so pieces of legislation if those bills were actually debated and discussed. We need activity, but we need to stop the cycle of "Make law -> Repeal law -> Repeal the repeal of the law -> ...etc" and actually focus on getting it right the first time.

The people have to know that they're not electing robots (some Senators aside!) that just offer the occasional suggestion and vote yea or nay along with the majority.

You have alot of neat ideas, but where were you all this time to follow through on all these wonderful gimmicks? When I tried to bring Atlasia together in a collective effort to work on our Wiki, where was your solution to that problem? When I was introducing legislation to Senators in private and lobbying President Bgwah to allow me to take the reigns on a new Introduction thread, were you try to make new threads to inform the people of Atlasia?

We need a Senator that has a track-record of following through on their ideas, not someone who comes up with grand ideas around election time.. Wink

It's hard to tell though because many bills pass with 7-9 senators voting for them, with little debate. As Marokai said, this is boring and bad for Atlasian elections and activity.

That is a key problem, as I said above, the Senate seems to try and come together all to often to form some broad support for a compromised bill just to get it to pass. We rarely seem to have dissenting/opposition voices that come from within the Senate. Some of the more recent arguments over bills have actually come from Ebowed or myself interfering with Senate business!

I'm not running to oppose everything, obviously, but I am running to represent an ideology that is underrepresented in Atlasian politics, and to hope to spark debate that is sorely, sorely lacking.

Fantastic ideas. All three candidates, at least on this issue, are really good. Yeah, I think they take their "I will compromise" positions in the campaign to heart, and then go overboard. A more active GM would help create debate as well.

Which brings me to something else. Do you support the senate or Ebowed in the current supreme court case over the removal of the GM act (think that's the name)?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 05:50:43 PM »

Endorsed.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 05:50:47 PM »

I would like to take the time to address a couple things here at my campaign office..

Another idea I can throw out there would be a weekly recap of what went on in the senate, written and published in the Atlas Fantasy Election forum so everyone can see which bill was voted on and who voted nay or yay. For the year and a half I've been in Atlas, I never knew for the life of me what was going on in the Senate. Sure, I was lazy, but I don't expect everyone to read through pages and pages of jibber jabber to find out answers.

Unfortunately that is the responsibility of the people who have newspapers, but they seem to have fallen behind through all the important events.

I think, though, that this could end up making the current problem worse, which is that the Senate is a little too hand-holdy and conciliatory all in an effort to pass as much legislation as possible and it results in minimal discussion and minimal debate. Truthfully, I don't care if each Senate only passes a half a dozen or so pieces of legislation if those bills were actually debated and discussed. We need activity, but we need to stop the cycle of "Make law -> Repeal law -> Repeal the repeal of the law -> ...etc" and actually focus on getting it right the first time.

The people have to know that they're not electing robots (some Senators aside!) that just offer the occasional suggestion and vote yea or nay along with the majority.

You have alot of neat ideas, but where were you all this time to follow through on all these wonderful gimmicks? When I tried to bring Atlasia together in a collective effort to work on our Wiki, where was your solution to that problem? When I was introducing legislation to Senators in private and lobbying President Bgwah to allow me to take the reigns on a new Introduction thread, were you try to make new threads to inform the people of Atlasia?

We need a Senator that has a track-record of following through on their ideas, not someone who comes up with grand ideas around election time.. Wink

It's hard to tell though because many bills pass with 7-9 senators voting for them, with little debate. As Marokai said, this is boring and bad for Atlasian elections and activity.

That is a key problem, as I said above, the Senate seems to try and come together all to often to form some broad support for a compromised bill just to get it to pass. We rarely seem to have dissenting/opposition voices that come from within the Senate. Some of the more recent arguments over bills have actually come from Ebowed or myself interfering with Senate business!

I'm not running to oppose everything, obviously, but I am running to represent an ideology that is underrepresented in Atlasian politics, and to hope to spark debate that is sorely, sorely lacking.

What got at lot of people moving was the Senators felt they lacked the necessary events to create meaningful legislation so thats when the focus turned to the GM. You have done well improving the wiki and I thank you for the hard work you did. The Introduction thread was a wonderfull idea as well. These two things though were just a start and much much more needs to be done, thankfully the Senate is almost completely on board now.  The problem with the Newspapers is that SPC is now basically inactive and Jas essentially has to pick and choose what to report and what to just ignore due to being overwhelmed. We could use a new paper or two.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 05:52:56 PM »

Fantastic ideas. All three candidates, at least on this issue, are really good. Yeah, I think they take their "I will compromise" positions in the campaign to heart, and then go overboard. A more active GM would help create debate as well.

Which brings me to something else. Do you support the senate or Ebowed in the current supreme court case over the removal of the GM act (think that's the name)?

That is a complicated matter.

While I don't personally believe it is the proper place of the Senate to remove Game Moderators since they are like every other Presidential appointment, I do think we need a new Game Moderator that takes a more active role in shaping events for the legislature to react to (in fact, in the Constitutional Convention, I floated the idea of electing a Game Moderator instead, so the people have the say in determining who discuss foreign affairs and publish economic affairs, like tax revenue, population stats, and unemployment rates, and so on) so I do not support Ebowed remaining as GM.

So, in short, I support Ebowed's case that the Senate is violating the spirit of our constitution and the separation of powers, but I do think that the President should get rid of him.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2009, 06:02:48 PM »

As far as I can tell, the current senate is 8 conservatives and moderates, and only 1 liberal (though I still want tmthforu94 to win).

No, We have:

I would hardly call HW and Realisticidealist liberals. Most of those are -3, -.5, basically. I wouldn't call that liberal. Baconking is a social liberal, but a centrist economically.

DWTL is now gone and Smid will be replaced by Heshmite(I am proabably spelling that wrong). realisticidealist is going to be reaplaced by MaxQue.

If things go the way the are now the RPP will have only 2 senators left(Jedi and myself, ironic that just a short time ago we were going for 6 seats and a majority.)  so I don't now how Vepres came up with 8 conservatives and centrists. The lack of substantive debate may be an unfortunate side effect of the rise of the DA and the subsequent relignment caused by it: division of the RPP-JCP alliance and its replacement with a RPP-DA alliance, The forced merger of the JCP-SDP. We got some unfamiliar bed fellows these days folks, combine that with a cadre of centrist senators and this is the result a bunch of gentleman fighting only over who should hold the door open for the other.

Social conservatism isn't really a widely held view here in Atlasia, honestly, so It makes sense that there is a lack of that particular ideology in the Senate. But HappyWarrior, Purple State, and Bacon King are pretty much moderate Senators, not counting the solidly Libertarian PiT and the outgoing solid Conservative Smid.

Who the hell said anything about Social Conservatism? Even when we were at our height with Five Senators two were libertarians: PiT and SPC, Two were Conservative: Jedi and Smid, and I am not sure what DWTL is, probably a libertarian conservative Wink. I don;t know where social conservatism or the lack thereof in Atlasia fits into the picture. The RPP is a collection of right of center people including Libertarians, Conservatives and Populists. So I don't see how the RPP's recent decline has to do with that.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2009, 06:05:45 PM »

While I don't personally believe it is the proper place of the Senate to remove Game Moderators since they are like every other Presidential appointment, I do think we need a new Game Moderator that takes a more active role in shaping events for the legislature to react to (in fact, in the Constitutional Convention, I floated the idea of electing a Game Moderator instead, so the people have the say in determining who discuss foreign affairs and publish economic affairs, like tax revenue, population stats, and unemployment rates, and so on) so I do not support Ebowed remaining as GM.

So, in short, I support Ebowed's case that the Senate is violating the spirit of our constitution and the separation of powers, but I do think that the President should get rid of him.

What is your opinion of President Bqwah's decision to not fire Ebowed?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2009, 06:06:36 PM »

No, We have:

Who the hell said anything about Social Conservatism? Even when we were at our height with Five Senators two were libertarians: PiT and SPC, Two were Conservative: Jedi and Smid, and I am not sure what DWTL is, probably a libertarian conservative Wink. I don;t know where social conservatism or the lack thereof in Atlasia fits into the picture. The RPP is a collection of right of center people including Libertarians, Conservatives and Populists. So I don't see how the RPP's recent decline has to do with that.

I just assumed you were talking about Social Conservatives since the Senate isn't really a bastion of economic liberalism Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2009, 06:07:31 PM »

I disapprove, of course. But I do think there are better ways of showing our disapproval. (We could start a petition, or the Senate could have drafted a non-binding resolution denouncing his decision to keep him.)
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2009, 06:18:22 PM »

No, We have:

I just assumed you were talking about Social Conservatives since the Senate isn't really a bastion of economic liberalism Tongue

I was refering to the decline of the RPP in terms of Senate membership from 5 members in April to the possibililty of just two in July.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2009, 06:23:56 PM »

I disapprove, of course. But I do think there are better ways of showing our disapproval. (We could start a petition, or the Senate could have drafted a non-binding resolution denouncing his decision to keep him.)

Though I support PS in the court case there are many other options and I expressed my desire that this to see this dealt with and question the reasoning behind the Senate move. In your view does the Senate have the authority to regulate the position of GM as regards to GM's duties? That would not violate the objections you have expressed which deal with checks and balances and removing a person from office.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2009, 06:32:37 PM »

Unfortunately the Senate probably does have the authority to mess around with the position of GM a bit, since that position is not mentioned in the constitution. The Senate, having created the position, probably has the power to abolish the position as well, or tinker with it as they see fit, even if I think this is a rather immature and improper way to deal with the problem.

I shouldn't really comment too much on the issue, since I'm still Attorney General and I don't want to interfere with the ongoing case before the Supreme Court.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2009, 06:57:38 PM »

If you're interested, Yankee, I dug up one of my more coherent posts on the issue from the Government board.

This is one of those "letter of/spirit of" situations, in my mind. Unfortunately I'm unsure if this is truly unconstitutional (although the fact that you were concerned about it enough to propose a Constitutional Amendment to give yourselves power in this area raises questions), however, it's still an unprecedented overreach of legislative power, and the same justification can be made for wanting to remove any cabinet member, and talking about the "voice of the people being heard" is silliness, since the President is elected far more directly than the Senators here.

Another of my concerns isn't just that the Senate is sticking it's nose in what was granted as an executive decision, but that you're essentially instituting something that allows the legislature to go back in time an dethrone a GM that was selected by the President according the letter of the law, simply because you don't like him.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2009, 08:44:11 PM »

While I will preference you behind my party's two candidates, I must say that you winning would bring a lot more fire to the Senate. When I first came here, the Senate was in the exact same shape as it is now. There was a period though, from February to April, where every bill was an epic struggle between the RPP & the SDP/JCP. Now that was exciting. Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2009, 09:22:41 PM »

Unfortunately the Senate probably does have the authority to mess around with the position of GM a bit, since that position is not mentioned in the constitution. The Senate, having created the position, probably has the power to abolish the position as well, or tinker with it as they see fit, even if I think this is a rather immature and improper way to deal with the problem.

I shouldn't really comment too much on the issue, since I'm still Attorney General and I don't want to interfere with the ongoing case before the Supreme Court.

I don't want to abolish the position. I want to regulate and require that certain specific info be provided from the GM on a regular basis. In reality Ebowed may not have to go if he were to follow these new Guidlines I am proposing the issue of removing the GM would become irrelevent.

If you're interested, Yankee, I dug up one of my more coherent posts on the issue from the Government board.

This is one of those "letter of/spirit of" situations, in my mind. Unfortunately I'm unsure if this is truly unconstitutional (although the fact that you were concerned about it enough to propose a Constitutional Amendment to give yourselves power in this area raises questions), however, it's still an unprecedented overreach of legislative power, and the same justification can be made for wanting to remove any cabinet member, and talking about the "voice of the people being heard" is silliness, since the President is elected far more directly than the Senators here.

Another of my concerns isn't just that the Senate is sticking it's nose in what was granted as an executive decision, but that you're essentially instituting something that allows the legislature to go back in time an dethrone a GM that was selected by the President according the letter of the law, simply because you don't like him.

Thanks for this info. Even if Ebowed is removed either by the Senate or by the new President I still would introduce legislation in regards to reforming the type of info to be released and how often it would be released. We should know exactly what GDP, Unemployment, Trade Deficit, Tax Revenues, and Consumer spending is at any period in Atlasia. Are we in a recession or Expansion? I have been wondering that for months. Ebowed's intial posts indicated the economy was declining but the dearth of info since then means we could be in a Great Depression and not even know it. Even what he did post lacked enough info to gives us a broad economic picture.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2009, 10:35:11 PM »

Ebowed's intial posts indicated the economy was declining but the dearth of info since then means we could be in a Great Depression and not even know it. Even what he did post lacked enough info to gives us a broad economic picture.

Well, you would rather expect so, given the Senate's propensity to ignore the majority of my articles when I was writing them.  I never did see any response by the Senate to address the failing automobile industries.  And there's no point making the situation worse if no one is going to bother addressing it.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2009, 10:38:23 PM »

Ebowed's intial posts indicated the economy was declining but the dearth of info since then means we could be in a Great Depression and not even know it. Even what he did post lacked enough info to gives us a broad economic picture.

Well, you would rather expect so, given the Senate's propensity to ignore the majority of my articles when I was writing them.  I never did see any response by the Senate to address the failing automobile industries.  And there's no point making the situation worse if no one is going to bother addressing it.

You should still do it. If you did it every day, they would pay attention.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2009, 10:43:10 PM »

Some of the information he is asking for would be basically impossible to provide.  I mean, tax revenues?  Most of the legislation passed by the Senate doesn't even indicate how it will be funded.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2009, 10:44:33 PM »

Not to mention, upon joining the Senate, I addressed every new article he wrote. But they again tapered off and stopped. We need them at least semi-daily. Not monthly.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2009, 10:44:54 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2009, 10:46:58 PM by AG Marokai Blue »

Some of the information he is asking for would be basically impossible to provide.  I mean, tax revenues?  Most of the legislation passed by the Senate doesn't even indicate how it will be funded.

I'm sure such information could simply be modified from the existing US revenue, ditto for other things.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2009, 10:45:42 PM »

Again, if you posted more often and alerted the senators of your activity, they may start doing things like allocating funds and such. Though yes, precise economic figures would be difficult.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2009, 03:45:39 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2009, 03:49:41 AM by AG Marokai Blue »

As always I'd like to address something here at my campaign. Smiley

That aside, I decided to run for President because while partisan bickering is lots of fun, we are facing a genuine crisis in Atlasia, & have been facing one for a long time. This crisis relates to the fact that Atlasian voters tend to be very inactive outside of election time. While I am proud to say that we are making progress in this regard, Atlasian activity is a mere shadow of what it once was. If elected President, I will dedicate myself to finding solutions to this problem.

Admirable, Senator, truly admirable. I am absolutely in agreement that bickering and debate can be alot of fun (and I pledge that fiery discussion and passionate debate where necessary if I am elected), and that we have a terrible problem of people only popping in when absolutely necessary. It's the same problem we face in the Constitutional Convention, and in the Senate.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to add up to who you're supporting for DWTL's seat. Duke has openly admitted to being woefully inactive until, suddenly, he wants to run for the Senate, then he comes up with a bunch of poorly thought-out gimmicks and makes grand promises about activity. Wink

Perhaps if you want a solution to your problem, voting for the candidate with consistent activity and a track record of keeping promises and working hard in every area he can, would be your first step! Smiley
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2009, 04:19:02 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2009, 04:20:34 AM by Senator PiT »

As always I'd like to address something here at my campaign. Smiley

That aside, I decided to run for President because while partisan bickering is lots of fun, we are facing a genuine crisis in Atlasia, & have been facing one for a long time. This crisis relates to the fact that Atlasian voters tend to be very inactive outside of election time. While I am proud to say that we are making progress in this regard, Atlasian activity is a mere shadow of what it once was. If elected President, I will dedicate myself to finding solutions to this problem.

Admirable, Senator, truly admirable. I am absolutely in agreement that bickering and debate can be alot of fun (and I pledge that fiery discussion and passionate debate where necessary if I am elected), and that we have a terrible problem of people only popping in when absolutely necessary. It's the same problem we face in the Constitutional Convention, and in the Senate.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to add up to who you're supporting for DWTL's seat. Duke has openly admitted to being woefully inactive until, suddenly, he wants to run for the Senate, then he comes up with a bunch of poorly thought-out gimmicks and makes grand promises about activity. Wink

Perhaps if you want a solution to your problem, voting for the candidate with consistent activity and a track record of keeping promises and working hard in every area he can, would be your first step! Smiley

Duke is someone that I fundamentally trust quite strongly. While he has been pretty inactive for a long time, college is no joke. When he says he'll be an active Senator, I trust that that is indeed the case, & will be the first to ask him to stand down in August if that turns out to not be the case.

When I came to him, he told me that he had not been particularly interested in Atlasia for awhile. I have found that a remarkably consistent complaint of private citizens as well as holders of weak offices in Atlasia is that it is not interesting. If Duke becomes an active Senator, this will prove my hypothesis, & point to an avenue of reform. One possible idea that I am entertaining at the moment is a service to PM random voters about important issues facing Atlasia, so they can feel that they will be able to affect government policy without having to be an officeholder.

Also, while you do raise a good point that you have shown consistent activity over a long period of time, I would like to say that I am a fan of your work as Attorney General in creating the RoW project. The cabinet is a notorious bastion of inactivity, & I think that an AG who is in touch enough with Senate activity to care about it is the best thing a President could ask for.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2009, 02:41:45 PM »

you know how everyone is talking about unity? well i have been thinking, maybe that is the wrong move.

to PiT,
if you are inactive then it is hard to come back and kind of have the right flow. They are kind of clueless nd when they come back they have to fill them self in and that takes additional time.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2009, 03:13:33 PM »

to PiT,
if you are inactive then it is hard to come back and kind of have the right flow. They are kind of clueless nd when they come back they have to fill them self in and that takes additional time.

I have found that inactive members usually manage to catch up, though. Fact is, not enough happens substantially in Atlasia to make catching up with current events difficult.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies