Marokai Blue for Senator: Re-election time is-a comin'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:34:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Marokai Blue for Senator: Re-election time is-a comin'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Author Topic: Marokai Blue for Senator: Re-election time is-a comin'  (Read 16769 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2009, 05:03:49 AM »
« edited: July 26, 2009, 07:17:19 PM by Senator Marokai Blue »

Marokai Blue: A Smart Balance for Senate
Now Improves Cholesteral~

I'm sure some of you who I've been in contact with in recent days might be surprised to hear this announcement. I was leaning against running for the Senate, though I was tempted, because I was unsure if it was really the place I should be, and if I really had the time to look over new pieces of legislation, debate, offer amendments, propose my own legislation. As I said, because of this, I wasn't sure.

But tonight, I know. I know the Senate all too often passes important legislation with literally no debate! Is this really activity? I don't believe you can achieve real activity in the Senate by pushing pieces of legislation forward, and passing them with no debate. It gives the illusion of activity, to be sure, but we're supposed to be governing here, folks! I want an on-the-issues approach in every way, and I want to pay a close eye to legislation we're proposing.

I have been absolutely honored to serve as Attorney General for as long as I have. I believe I have been an exceptional AG, launching the project to repair the Atlasia Wiki, creating a desperately needed new and improved Introduction Thread, trying to stay on top of wiki-editing that my job calls for, and winning both court cases that I brought before our esteemed Supreme Court.

I want to take these successes to the Senate, and provide an ideological balance that is badly needed today, providing what I hope to be a real left wing alternative. I will not sit idly by while free trade agreements pass without debate or proper protections. I will not support the tax-cutting that often makes our supporters happy, but deprives the government of badly needed revenue in tough economic times while generating almost no useful spending in return.

I'm all in favor of real and sensible compromise, and I will always listen to opposing sides, but to do that we need real debate over these issues. That's what the Senate is supposed to be all about, a deliberative body!

I can't promise radical change in any quarter just by my simple election, but I can promise there will be a Senator in that chamber asking some questions. Vote for me if you want balance to our Senate.

Feel free to ask any questions you like, or even insult me. Tongue
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 05:06:21 AM »

I think your accusations that the Senate conducts insufficient debate are somewhat exaggerated.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 05:36:47 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2009, 05:52:06 AM by AG Marokai Blue »

Most debate in the Senate essentially boils down "I agree with this bill." "I disagree with this bill." "Okay, let's vote!"

There are some issues that crop up once in awhile that generate some controversy, but the majority of the posts that come from the threads come from Yeas and Nays.

This bill went absolutely nowhere before it was voted on.

This bill was relatively minor, but there was only one post on it for days until the final vote was called, and only seven people voted!

This bill got some "Oh yes this looks splendid" posts, with one Senator expressing opposition, then it was passed almost unanimously.

This bill was introduced two days ago, and has gone nowhere. It came after this bill, where people operated on a herd mentality. "Oh this is a marvelous idea!" "No, this is a bad idea." "You know, I never thought of it that way, Nay instead!"

Also I include these just for my own amusement:

With no activity at all and seemingly no intention of an amendment I hereby open up a final vote on this bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Ok, no debate at all and people have been around. So now that 72 hours have passed and no actual debate. I hereby open up a final vote on the bill below. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Anywho, point is that there is often no debate or posts at all until the final vote is suddenly called, and that doesn't promise that all debate that does happen is at all substantive. I think the Senate focuses too much on getting things passed rather than actually making sure what we're passing is good or not until it's the last minute.

(And of course, I applaud your work as Senator, and I think you've been one of the best. Even if there has been debate on some issues, I believe I can do a good job of bringing forward an ideology that is badly underrepresented in the Senate.)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 06:29:02 AM »

Same problem with the Convention. I call a vote on an article and suddenly everyone has something to say. I think we need to provide the PPT the discretion to call off final votes if the sponsor of the bill receives information that fundamentally changes the viability of the bill.

That said, some bills garner near-universal agreement. No one really likes to artificially debate a bill that doesn't face opposition.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 06:38:59 AM »

I believe I can do a good job of bringing forward an ideology that is badly underrepresented in the Senate.

I have no doubts that you'd represent your ideology passionately Wink
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 11:28:12 AM »

But tonight, I know. I know the Senate all too often passes important legislation with literally no debate! Is this really activity? I don't believe you can achieve real activity in the Senate by pushing pieces of legislation forward, and passing them with no debate. It gives the illusion of activity, to be sure, but we're supposed to be governing here, folks! I want an on-the-issues approach in every way, and I want to pay a close eye to legislation we're proposing.

I agree with this. The senators seem to be too respectful towards each other. It gets to the point where they fear even criticizing a bill beyond a, I don't agree.

Unfortunately, I won't be supporting you in this election, but if you do win I believe you will be a fine addition to the senate.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 11:30:32 AM »

I agree with some of your sentiments about the quality of debate, but it's hard to have much of a debate when we have mostly leftists in the senate with a few libertarians scattered here and there. If you have a room full of liberals, I wouldn't expect much debate amongst them either. Just sayin'.....

Wink
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 11:31:47 AM »

I agree with some of your sentiments about the quality of debate, but it's hard to have much of a debate when we have mostly leftists in the senate with a few libertarians scattered here and there. If you have a room full of liberals, I wouldn't expect much debate amongst them either. Just sayin'.....

Wink

lol Tongue

Duke, what would atlasia be without you? Wink
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 11:33:34 AM »

I agree with this. The senators seem to be too respectful towards each other. It gets to the point where they fear even criticizing a bill beyond a, I don't agree.

I completely agree with you there.

I'm not calling for fistfights of course, but a little bit more excitement in Senate debate would be fun, no? Wink
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 11:34:05 AM »

I believe I can do a good job of bringing forward an ideology that is badly underrepresented in the Senate.

I have no doubts that you'd represent your ideology passionately Wink

I will still be more than open to compromise and suggestion Smiley
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 12:12:31 PM »

In order to have true balance wouldn't we need a conservative to win?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 12:37:11 PM »

Tell Smid, PiT, Afleitch, and formerly DWTL Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 01:09:07 PM »

As far as I can tell, the current senate is 8 conservatives and moderates, and only 1 liberal (though I still want tmthforu94 to win).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 01:17:53 PM »

Endorsed. I know you'll make a great Senator.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 01:23:28 PM »

Endorsed. You would be one of the best senator of the Senate.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 01:28:51 PM »

As far as I can tell, the current senate is 8 conservatives and moderates, and only 1 liberal (though I still want tmthforu94 to win).

No, We have:

Four Libertarians: Franzl, DWTL, Afleitch and PiT
Four Liberals: BaconKing, Purple State, Happy Warrior and realisticidealis
Two Conservatives: Master Jedi and Smid.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 01:33:48 PM »

No, We have:

It's hard to tell though because many bills pass with 7-9 senators voting for them, with little debate. As Marokai said, this is boring and bad for Atlasian elections and activity.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 01:35:16 PM »

No, We have:

It's hard to tell though because many bills pass with 7-9 senators voting for them, with little debate. As Marokai said, this is boring and bad for Atlasian elections and activity.

Ditto
So many of the Senators have gotten boring. I wish there were 2 Special Election seats available for Marokai and myself. I think he would make an good Senator. I just think I'd make a great Senator.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 01:35:38 PM »

No, We have:

No. It is not good

Three Conservatives: DWTL, Smid and MasterJedi
One Liberal: BaconKing
One Libertarian: PiT
Five Centrists: Franzl, Afleitch, PurpleState, realisticidealist and HappyWarrior
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 01:41:38 PM »

No, We have:

I would hardly call HW and Realisticidealist liberals. Most of those are -3, -.5, basically. I wouldn't call that liberal. Baconking is a social liberal, but a centrist economically.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 04:56:16 PM »

Who are you running against?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 04:57:25 PM »

Myself and Duke Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 05:35:16 PM »

I would like to take the time to address a couple things here at my campaign office..

Another idea I can throw out there would be a weekly recap of what went on in the senate, written and published in the Atlas Fantasy Election forum so everyone can see which bill was voted on and who voted nay or yay. For the year and a half I've been in Atlas, I never knew for the life of me what was going on in the Senate. Sure, I was lazy, but I don't expect everyone to read through pages and pages of jibber jabber to find out answers.

Unfortunately that is the responsibility of the people who have newspapers, but they seem to have fallen behind through all the important events.

I think, though, that this could end up making the current problem worse, which is that the Senate is a little too hand-holdy and conciliatory all in an effort to pass as much legislation as possible and it results in minimal discussion and minimal debate. Truthfully, I don't care if each Senate only passes a half a dozen or so pieces of legislation if those bills were actually debated and discussed. We need activity, but we need to stop the cycle of "Make law -> Repeal law -> Repeal the repeal of the law -> ...etc" and actually focus on getting it right the first time.

The people have to know that they're not electing robots (some Senators aside!) that just offer the occasional suggestion and vote yea or nay along with the majority.

You have alot of neat ideas, but where were you all this time to follow through on all these wonderful gimmicks? When I tried to bring Atlasia together in a collective effort to work on our Wiki, where was your solution to that problem? When I was introducing legislation to Senators in private and lobbying President Bgwah to allow me to take the reigns on a new Introduction thread, were you try to make new threads to inform the people of Atlasia?

We need a Senator that has a track-record of following through on their ideas, not someone who comes up with grand ideas around election time.. Wink

That is a key problem, as I said above, the Senate seems to try and come together all to often to form some broad support for a compromised bill just to get it to pass. We rarely seem to have dissenting/opposition voices that come from within the Senate. Some of the more recent arguments over bills have actually come from Ebowed or myself interfering with Senate business!

I'm not running to oppose everything, obviously, but I am running to represent an ideology that is underrepresented in Atlasian politics, and to hope to spark debate that is sorely, sorely lacking.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 05:36:56 PM »

Same problem with the Convention. I call a vote on an article and suddenly everyone has something to say. I think we need to provide the PPT the discretion to call off final votes if the sponsor of the bill receives information that fundamentally changes the viability of the bill.

I don't really have a whole lot to say about this other than the fact that is a great idea for the PPT to have more leeway in framing the debate and the Senate processes and that we definitely need to work on some sort of requirement for discussion before final votes are called.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 05:37:01 PM »

No, We have:

I would hardly call HW and Realisticidealist liberals. Most of those are -3, -.5, basically. I wouldn't call that liberal. Baconking is a social liberal, but a centrist economically.

DWTL is now gone and Smid will be replaced by Heshmite(I am proabably spelling that wrong). realisticidealist is going to be reaplaced by MaxQue.

If things go the way the are now the RPP will have only 2 senators left(Jedi and myself, ironic that just a short time ago we were going for 6 seats and a majority.)  so I don't now how Vepres came up with 8 conservatives and centrists. The lack of substantive debate may be an unfortunate side effect of the rise of the DA and the subsequent relignment caused by it: division of the RPP-JCP alliance and its replacement with a RPP-DA alliance, The forced merger of the JCP-SDP. We got some unfamiliar bed fellows these days folks, combine that with a cadre of centrist senators and this is the result a bunch of gentleman fighting only over who should hold the door open for the other.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies