Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2014, 02:01:06 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  The Office of Former President Tmthforu94
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 59 Print
Author Topic: The Office of Former President Tmthforu94  (Read 78812 times)
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #775 on: July 03, 2012, 12:47:50 pm »
Ignore

Clarence, I couldn't have worded it better myself - Fantasy elections are no fun if everyone is cooperating and playing nice. What's the point of even having elections if it's always unopposed. This is an election game - there needs to be more competitive elections.

With all due respect, I've been President, Vice President, Governor, Senator, and many other positions. I've maxed out in terms of "personal glory". To suggest I'm only in this for that is just plain silly, and I certainly hope that attack doesn't stick with voters. I'm considering running because I think a competitive, issue-oriented election would be good for our region, and because I believe I could do a great job as Governor, with some of my reasons being listed in my original response to you. Smiley

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 03, 2012, 02:16:43 pm »
Ignore

1. I never stated that you would pursue an anti-gay agenda. A question was asked on what issues we differ on, and gay marriage is one of them. You have stated before that you're opposed to gay marriage, while I personally am more supportive of it.

2. Good. Hopefully we can work together to help abolish the death penalty.

3. I was merely stating another issue where we differ on. It is not ideological, but it is important to the game and will be a focus of this election.

I certainly have a much more moderate record in the game, just look at our voting records. I don't vote based purely on ideology, I vote on who I believe in my mind will make the best impact on this game. You showed me back in June that you viewed that unfavorably, as you clearly expressed to me how wrong it was for me to support Napoleon, and how I had lost respect among conservatives.

Where do you stand on flag burning? Where do you stand on gun control? I bet I am to the left of you or at least as moderate as you on these social issues.

You see, when you make a claim such as "I am more moderate than my opponent" you ought to offer real facts to support your point. You have not been able to do that. Your gay marriage and your death penalty argument don't work because we have the same point of view on these issues in Atlasia.

Also, pointing to your voting record and saying "my opponent is more conservative than me because I voted for the liberal guys" is not really helpful. According to your logic (i.e. ZuWo is more (socially) conservative than me because he supported JCL over Ben and Clarence over Napoleon), 20RP12 and wormyguy should also be considered to the right of you on social issues because they supported JCL and Clarence rather than Ben and Napoleon.

If you make such claims and try to portray yourself as the moderate candidate, please stick to the facts.
Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 03, 2012, 02:29:38 pm »
Ignore

Out of curiosity, Tmth, why did you vote against including opposition to capital punishment in the Right-to-Life Caucus while ZuWo voted for it?

I had spent the last several months assuming ZuWo is against capital punishment and you were for it. Huh

"I have seen three ages in the West of the world, and many defeats, and many fruitless victories."

-Elrond in J.R. Tolkien's LOTR
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 03, 2012, 02:43:17 pm »
Ignore

Clarence, I couldn't have worded it better myself - Fantasy elections are no fun if everyone is cooperating and playing nice. What's the point of even having elections if it's always unopposed. This is an election game - there needs to be more competitive elections.

With all due respect, I've been President, Vice President, Governor, Senator, and many other positions. I've maxed out in terms of "personal glory". To suggest I'm only in this for that is just plain silly, and I certainly hope that attack doesn't stick with voters. I'm considering running because I think a competitive, issue-oriented election would be good for our region, and because I believe I could do a great job as Governor, with some of my reasons being listed in my original response to you. Smiley

Of course- and I don't mean to bombard you with questions here....but how could it be an issue-oriented race if you an ZuWo appear to agree on the vast majority of issues and you begin your race by admitting he is doing a fine job? Do you see what I mean... it is nothing whatsoever against you- but it would be akin to Romney running on the economy if unemployment was at 4%- there'd be no reason for running

tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #779 on: July 03, 2012, 03:06:57 pm »
Ignore

Clarence, it can be an issue-oriented race by discussing ways to improve our region, both through game reform and some policy. I prefer discussing that honestly than to questions on why I changed my pm score and attacks that I'm only running for personal glory.

Competition is good - just as a comparision - Sarah Palin and Mitt Romney have similar political views, but wouldn't you agree one would be a better President than the other? I said ZuWo was doing well, but I also included in there improvements can be made, and I listed some of them. I'm not sure what else I can give you. If I had said "ZuWo is doing a terrific job, I'm only in this race to make it competitive", I could see your point.

TJ, thank you for bringing that up. Honestly, I don't think I was being careful, and just quickly quoted Pingvin. I've been a part of several actual attempts, not just voting on a platform, to include the abolishment of capital punishment in the Atlasian Constitution, but each time it was defeated either in the Senate or at the regional vote. I'd love to try again if I thought it could get passed. I can find links to this if you'd like later today.

-Jackie Robinson
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: July 03, 2012, 03:18:16 pm »
Ignore

Clarence, it can be an issue-oriented race by discussing ways to improve our region, both through game reform and some policy. I prefer discussing that honestly than to questions on why I changed my pm score and attacks that I'm only running for personal glory.

You shouldn't take my questions as attacks....they're not meant to be. Hell- I respect you and the fact that you answered them when I'm not a voter shows you are willing to step into the arena and you want to make this a good race. But you ought to be prepared to get more questions then usual considering the fact that you aagree politically with ZuWo for the most part and admit he's doing a fine job.... these two will lead voters to ask what makes your candidacy distinct so I wouldn't perceive questions on ideology or motivations for running as attacks at all

tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #781 on: July 03, 2012, 03:20:42 pm »
Ignore

As to your claims, ZuWo, I'll come back with a more detailed response in a few days. This is a holiday time here in the states, and I'm with family. Atlasia should be the last thing on my mind.

I'd be more than happy to take some sort of ideological test at some point in this campaign to prove to voters I'm more moderate than you. Judging from your attempted attack earlier on my political matrix change, I'm surprised the fact that my score is to the left of yours isn't enough.

-Jackie Robinson
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #782 on: July 03, 2012, 03:24:59 pm »
Ignore

You shouldn't take my questions as attacks....they're not meant to be. Hell- I respect you and the fact that you answered them when I'm not a voter shows you are willing to step into the arena and you want to make this a good race. But you ought to be prepared to get more questions then usual considering the fact that you aagree politically with ZuWo for the most part and admit he's doing a fine job.... these two will lead voters to ask what makes your candidacy distinct so I wouldn't perceive questions on ideology or motivations for running as attacks at all
I don't think asking about my ideology is an attack, certainly Clarence. And I'm more than happy to answer questions. Smiley But I do think it is considered a "political attack" when you accuse me of lying by saying the motives I claimed to have for running were wrong, instead suggesting I'm only in this for personal glory. I think Mideast citizens who know me well would disagree with your "claim".

I would be interested in knowing if my potential opponent, Governor ZuWo, agrees with your "claim" that I'm only running for personal glory.

-Jackie Robinson
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 03, 2012, 03:31:55 pm »
Ignore

As to your claims, ZuWo, I'll come back with a more detailed response in a few days. This is a holiday time here in the states, and I'm with family. Atlasia should be the last thing on my mind.

I'd be more than happy to take some sort of ideological test at some point in this campaign to prove to voters I'm more moderate than you. Judging from your attempted attack earlier on my political matrix change, I'm surprised the fact that my score is to the left of yours isn't enough.

Did I ever say that I take the PM score seriously in a way that it is a clear indicator of where a forum user stands? No, I didn't. I mentioned your PM score change because I thought the timing was funny - your new PM score, which serves as a first orientation especially for people who are not very familiar with you, certainly helps you more in this race than the old one.

And no, you haven't been able to show that I am to the right of you on social issues (or any issues in particular). On the contrary, your pro death penalty vote in the "Right-to-Life Caucus" thread actually suggests you are a lot more authoritarian than me on this issue. Thus, I am looking forward to seeing your detailed response that you have promised to provide at some point.
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #784 on: July 03, 2012, 03:35:36 pm »
Ignore

Did I ever say that I take the PM score seriously in a way that it is a clear indicator of where a forum user stands? No, I didn't. I mentioned your PM score change because I thought the timing was funny - your new PM score, which serves as a first orientation especially for people who are not very familiar with you, certainly helps you more in this race than the old one.

And no, you haven't been able to show that I am to the right of you on social issues (or any issues in particular). On the contrary, your pro death penalty vote in the "Right-to-Life Caucus" thread actually suggests you are a lot more authoritarian than me on this issue. Thus, I am looking forward to seeing your detailed response that you have promised to provide at some point.

You're accusing me of altering my political matrix score to win more votes. That's a pretty silly claim to make, considering this is what my political matrix score has been for a majority of my time on Atlas, and I made the change three months before the election.

Clearly, judging by your death penalty response, you didn't read my response to TJ. So I won't make a comment on that section of your reply. I have a very long, proven history of being against the death penalty, and I've always been outspoken on the issue.

-Jackie Robinson
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 03, 2012, 03:37:31 pm »
Ignore

I don't think asking about my ideology is an attack, certainly Clarence. And I'm more than happy to answer questions. Smiley But I do think it is considered a "political attack" when you accuse me of lying by saying the motives I claimed to have for running were wrong, instead suggesting I'm only in this for personal glory. I think Mideast citizens who know me well would disagree with your "claim".

I would be interested in knowing if my potential opponent, Governor ZuWo, agrees with your "claim" that I'm only running for personal glory.
Don't believe I've ever accused you of lying...and for the record I don't believe any "personal glory" is gained by being Mideast Governor (no offense to ZuWo....)

tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #786 on: July 03, 2012, 03:40:19 pm »
Ignore

Then don't suggest that's my reason. Wink You're right - being Senator is a much easier position (no offense Tongue). Governors don't receive as much appreciation.

Clarence, you should introduce a bill creating a "Governor Appreciation Month" Wink

-Jackie Robinson
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 03, 2012, 03:44:27 pm »
Ignore

Then don't suggest that's my reason. Wink You're right - being Senator is a much easier position (no offense Tongue). Governors don't receive as much appreciation.

Clarence, you should introduce a bill creating a "Governor Appreciation Month" Wink
I appreciate Governors- and if Senator is an easier position so be it...I don't know if I would enjoy being a Governor but it seems like a bit of hard work which I'm frankly not willing to spend an ounce of for Fantasy elections...
It wasn't specifically Mideast Governor I don't believe brings "personal glory"- it is any position on the board! This discussion about how we care so much about one region or another is simply bullsh**t- whether from you, ZuWo, me, etc...at the end of the day it is a web forum and we are here to have debates about the issues and when I see you challenging some one who is doing his best and a fine job- it grinds my gears when I can't seem to comprehend the reason why you are doing it other then the fact that you may have some axe to grind with ZuWo

tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #788 on: July 03, 2012, 03:50:53 pm »
Ignore

My support is probably more of liability than help in Mideast, but still:

I never got around to it, but thanks. Smiley

I have no axe to grind - if anything, I think ZuWo was more upset with me for supporting Napoleon. Tongue

*puts serious hat on*

I do care about this region and game, because I truly believe I learned a lot from this game. This isn't just silly talk - this is serious. What drives me to stay in this game is my hope others can have the same, great experience that I've had. I'd love the opportunity to become Governor and implement reforms that I think will better integrate new members, as well as create more enjoyment for others.

Once again, Clarence. This is an election game. Uncompetitive elections are no fun - it boosts regional activity as a whole I think when there's a highly competitive election going on. I think ZuWo and I are both doing a positive service to our region, as we're creating more activity here.

-Jackie Robinson
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 03, 2012, 04:31:42 pm »
Ignore

Fair enough Tmthforu94- I appreciate you answering my questions and apologies if this seemed like "the gauntlet"....you're a good guy and I respect you and wish you the best....I am proud to support ZuWo but I know the region would be well served by either of you at the helm

tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #790 on: July 03, 2012, 04:45:53 pm »
Ignore

No worries. Smiley I'm always willing to answer good questions!

-Jackie Robinson
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: July 03, 2012, 06:32:33 pm »
Ignore

Hmm. If you are not in this for personal glory, believe ZuWo is doing fine, and simply want to talk about ways to improve the game, couldn't that also be done by participating in the regional assembly?

I'm honestly not trying to be rude, but to someone who's new to Atlasia like me... it looks kind of suspect when someone who's filled almost every role in Atlasia challenges a promising Governor's re-election. Mostly because there's a good chance you will win--that's why everyone is harping on you (even if they don't want to say it Tongue). It just makes it seem a bit like a good ol' boys' phenomenon is taking hold.

tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #792 on: July 03, 2012, 06:38:31 pm »
Ignore

Well, Hagrid, I probably could win an Assembly seat, but then I could be depriving a new member the chance to get involved, so especially with an already crowded race, I won't do that. Smiley

This wasn't some "good ole boy" plan to oust ZuWo - I think Ben was about the only person who I told that I was going to form an exploratory committee. I've stated multiple times now why I am running, and its up to the Mideast citizens to decide if I'm being genuine or if this is "personal glory", like my opponent may think.

I wouldn't be so sure I'm favored - it'll be a close race. ZuWo has built up a loyal following in the region, and I'm probably not as "connected" as I once was.

-Jackie Robinson
Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 04, 2012, 12:11:37 am »
Ignore

This is kind of ridiculous - Tmth is maybe not to the right of ZuWo, but he is of the right. He cares deeply about this game, which is why he took the huge risk of running with me and then supporting Napoleon. He's not a pure ideologue, he wants this game to succeed by having competitive elections and allowing the people of the Mideast to have a real choice.

I think the Whigs should welcome the competition, not appear to be afraid of the fight.

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #794 on: July 05, 2012, 06:29:28 pm »
Ignore

Endorsed.  You've got my vote!

Quote from: Dwight D. Eisenhower
There is nothing wrong with America that the faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of her citizens cannot cure.
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #795 on: July 05, 2012, 06:46:55 pm »
Ignore

Much thanks! Smiley

-Jackie Robinson
Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #796 on: July 06, 2012, 09:11:03 am »
Ignore

Much thanks! Smiley
Sorry.  I just made a by mistake.  I had previously endorsed ZuWho for Mideast Governor, but much will depend on who ends up running against him (is there a primary to choose his opponent?).  I'd vote for either of you.  Sorry if this seems rude, but I can't fully endorse either of you at this time.

Quote from: Dwight D. Eisenhower
There is nothing wrong with America that the faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of her citizens cannot cure.
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #797 on: July 06, 2012, 09:30:41 am »
Ignore

Much thanks! Smiley
Sorry.  I just made a by mistake.  I had previously endorsed ZuWho for Mideast Governor, but much will depend on who ends up running against him (is there a primary to choose his opponent?).  I'd vote for either of you.  Sorry if this seems rude, but I can't fully endorse either of you at this time.
It's quite all right. I'd encourage you to pay attention during the campaign, look and see which campaign stays positive and you think would best benefit our region, and make a vote based off that, not party affiliation. Smiley

-Jackie Robinson
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #798 on: July 06, 2012, 11:27:42 am »
Ignore

Statement

Today is the last day I serve as your Vice President.

It has been an honor serving Atlasia as both it's President one year ago, and now as it's Vice President. Under the leadership of Polnut and myself over the past four months, I believe Atlasia has now entered into a time of hope and prosperity, and I hope it will only grow under the upcoming administration.

First, I want to give a special thanks to Polnut. He believed in me, and he took a risk when he named me as his Vice President. Polnut is a class act, and one of our finest Atlasians. I have an enormous amount of respect for this man, and I wish him the best of luck in whatever he chooses to do. I also want to take a minute and thank our cabinet, who worked hard alongside us to make this one of the best administrations in Atlasian history.

Under our administration, troops were brought home, our economy has improved, and we're now about to pass a budget that will put Atlasia back on a smart, fiscal path. Under Polnut's leadership, we have seen tax cuts in Atlasia, and will soon be seeing a surplus in our national budget.

At this point in time, I will quit talking about the past, and instead, focus on the future. I believe, with your help, we can make an even brighter and better tomorrow for Atlasia. We just left a dark time, a time when activity was at its low point and dozens of Atlasians began to lose interest in this game. I believe we have seen ourselves out of this period, but that doesn't mean their isn't a risk of it intruding back into our lives.

In order to continue the Atlasian success, we must have several reminders. First off, this is a game. Time and time again, we see Atlasians fall of the map due to too much personal investment in this game. I urge my fellow Atlasians not to take this game personally or too seriously, rather, consider it something enjoyable and a learning experience for all. In my time in Atlasia, I've learned so much through this game. While some of my critics question my motives for continuing in my quest to improve this game, saying I'm in it for the personal glory, I just shake my head. I want to stay in this game so dozens of folks will be able to share in the same experiences and acquire the same knowledge I have required.

Bi-partisanship is a good thing. In RL, our government is plagued with bitter, partisan politics. What makes Atlasia great is the willingness of so many to cross the aisle and work together to not only set policy, but also improve the dynamics of this game. I urge my fellow Atlasians to continue working in unity to improve this game. Debate is a good thing - fighting is not.

And now, as I near the end of this speech, I say this - this is certainly not the last you've heard from me. I'm not quite ready to retire yet, as I still believe work can be done to improve this game. I look forward to the many more experiences to be made in this game, and I hope I can make some with you!

Vice President Tmthforu94 Smiley
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:30:36 am by Tmthforu94 »Logged

-Jackie Robinson
#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 07, 2012, 07:10:22 am »
Ignore

Hello, I'm the Mideast correspondent for The People. Could you clarify if you are indeed running?

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 59 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout