Are young voters really as Democratic as being portrayed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:27:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Are young voters really as Democratic as being portrayed?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Are young voters really as Democratic as being portrayed?  (Read 12719 times)
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 03:35:10 AM »

the Republican party, though down at the moment, does have a realistic chance, I feel, of getting back up again if finds ways of drawing younger people into its circle. 

Yo. Michael Steele knows how to connect with kids, dawg. His shizzle is off da hook!

just stick with him and the GOP will triumph.

I've seen part of that video, but on the whole I just found it too painful to watch.  Tongue
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 05:30:21 AM »

Social Issues and the Bush foregin policy are probably the leading contributors for the strong Democratic lean among younger voters. While I don't think my generation has moved to the left on abortion (even many secular libs are pro-life) like previous posters said the Republicans are getting murdered on issues such as gay marriage and environmental protection. I don't think the Democrats are hurt as badly among young people who are pro-life or pro-gun because unlike the Republicans the Democrat's don't put much emphasis on their controversial social position, which makes it easier for pro life or pro gun people to support Democrats anyways.  Economics are similar, I don't think my generation is particularly left wing on economic issues (although I may be biased as an economics major), but again I don't think think the Democrats come off as lunatic leftist on economics, which makes it more likely for us to vote based off of areas such as the environment or foreign policy where we are more likely to side with the Democrats.

Pretty much hit the nail right on the head with that. I totally agree, the Democrats are definitely the more moderate of the two big parties, although I do like the Ron Paul types in the Republican party. Unless the GOP gets more Ron Paul types (minus the old age and crazyness), they're screwed with the youth vote.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 07:15:22 AM »

Social Issues and the Bush foregin policy are probably the leading contributors for the strong Democratic lean among younger voters. While I don't think my generation has moved to the left on abortion (even many secular libs are pro-life) like previous posters said the Republicans are getting murdered on issues such as gay marriage and environmental protection. I don't think the Democrats are hurt as badly among young people who are pro-life or pro-gun because unlike the Republicans the Democrat's don't put much emphasis on their controversial social position, which makes it easier for pro life or pro gun people to support Democrats anyways.  Economics are similar, I don't think my generation is particularly left wing on economic issues (although I may be biased as an economics major), but again I don't think think the Democrats come off as lunatic leftist on economics, which makes it more likely for us to vote based off of areas such as the environment or foreign policy where we are more likely to side with the Democrats.

Pretty much hit the nail right on the head with that. I totally agree, the Democrats are definitely the more moderate of the two big parties, although I do like the Ron Paul types in the Republican party. Unless the GOP gets more Ron Paul types (minus the old age and crazyness), they're screwed with the youth vote.

Another Libertarian ok with excessive spending?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 12:32:33 PM »

Another Libertarian ok with excessive spending?

I'm not crazy about excessive spending, I mean I'm not voting Democrat but I'm saying if somebody put a gun to my head right now and told me to "vote or die punk" and the only two choices I had were either Democrat or Republican I would probably have to go with the Democrat. Economics aren't the only thing that counts you know.
We're probably really close on economics, so I find your comment pretty funny.
But I mean really: think about social issues just for five seconds, alright? The average American youth is way more socially liberal than their parents or grandparents. I'm not saying that as a Libertarian, I'm saying that as somebody who knows youth, okay?
You see unlike Constitutionalists, Libertarians agree more with liberal social issues than conservative ones. Yes we do agree on things like privacy and gun rights, but I think the average libertarian's views on abortion, gay marriage, prostitution, gambling, drugs, etc etc etc....is pretty different than a Constitutionalists.
You only have to think about the economics, because mega conservative social agendas may not bother you like they might me. I have to look at both sides and see which one is the least screwed up. And where I live, in Tulsa, Oklahoma, which is part of the conservimecha of America, there are no rational Republicans running for any office, not friggin kidding. There is a reason why I say libertarians are an endangered species in Oklahoma, it definitely isn't because of people's feelings on economics, it's all friggin social.
But seriously, it's going to take alot more than "we don't waste money" to get back the youth vote. Would it really kill the GOP to become just a little bit more socially moderate on some issues? Is that too big a thing to ask for? I'm just saying how it looks from the average college student's viewpoint.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 02:13:41 PM »

COming from a Teen, most teens are politically retarded. By retarded I mean brainwashed.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2009, 03:02:42 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2009, 03:07:08 PM by Ogre Mage »

The President that it best knows (at least until January 2009) is of course George W. Bush... and even with Bill Clinton it recognizes that the Republican-dominated Congress called the shots. Dubya was not the sort of President to serve as an introduction of American politics at the best. Earlier generations at least know Ronald Reagan.

I am of the infamous Gen X and I have thought that part of the reason for the Republican lean among Gen Xers was that we grew up observing Democratic failure (Carter) and Republican success (Reagan).  Not that I agree with Reagan's philosophy, but he was successful in advancing his agenda.

However, those of us who are younger Gen Xers (born in the mid and late 70s) grew up under Bush I and Clinton.  Those are the Presidents I mainly remember from my youth.

Given that today's generation grew up under Bush II, one of the worst Presidents in history, their Democratic lean is not surprising.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2009, 03:12:26 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2009, 03:16:17 PM by pbrower2a »

COming from a Teen, most teens are politically retarded. By retarded I mean brainwashed.

As you are a troll, such an observation from you doesn't surprise me.  Your social and economic values suggest a fascist, and somehow "Jewish fascist" seems an oxymoron.

Did you know that you misspelled "President"? You must be retarded in your language skills.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2009, 03:23:05 PM »

The President that it best knows (at least until January 2009) is of course George W. Bush... and even with Bill Clinton it recognizes that the Republican-dominated Congress called the shots. Dubya was not the sort of President to serve as an introduction of American politics at the best. Earlier generations at least know Ronald Reagan.

I am of the infamous Gen X and I have thought that part of the reason for the Republican lean among Gen Xers was that we grew up observing Democratic failure (Carter) and Republican success (Reagan).  Not that I agree with Reagan's philosophy, but he was successful in advancing his agenda.

However, those of us who are younger Gen Xers (born in the mid and late 70s) grew up under Bush I and Clinton.  Those are the Presidents I mainly remember from my youth.

Given that today's generation grew up under Bush II, one of the worst Presidents in history, their Democratic lean is not surprising.

That is a huge difference. The elder Bush wasn't a bad President; he simply couldn't offer a Second Act. Clinton achieved what may have been one of the most genuinely-conservative of Administrations, at least in finances.  Dubya? Dreadful, indeed.

When I criticize Dubya I contrast him to conservatives. 

Infamous Generation X? Obama is sometimes considered part of it. 
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2009, 03:25:13 PM »

As you are a troll, such an observation from you doesn't surprise me.  Your social and economic values suggest a fascist, and somehow "Jewish fascist" seems an oxymoron.

Did you know that you misspelled "President"? You must be retarded in your language skills.

Sorry. For my spelling that is. I'll try to  check over my grammar more.

Also... I'm not as partisan as you might think.

and i'm not brainwashed.  Also  i'm not a  fascist.  sorry to disappoint you
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2009, 05:01:09 PM »

Brainwashed because they don't vote Republican? I guess it's better to be brainwashed than to be brain dead. Tongue

pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2009, 07:38:08 PM »

Brainwashed because they don't vote Republican? I guess it's better to be brainwashed than to be brain dead. Tongue

Where did I say they have to be republicans to be non brainwashed? Nowhere

I know alot of republican teens who are brainwashed.  Nice try though to make me look like a partisan hack Wink
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2009, 07:15:44 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2009, 07:21:19 AM by Ogre Mage »

During 1990-96 (my teenage years) there was a constant stream of stories about Gen X.  The slant of the coverage was largely that we were apathetic, shallow, self-centered, cynical, slackers, materialistic, nihilistic and generally losers.  Boomer commentators sneered at our supposed lack of idealism and motivation.  Gen Xers, in turn, blamed boomers for screwing everything up for them (Gen Xers are much more likely to come from divorced families than their parents). Ours was the first generation to confront AIDS, back when it was much more frightening than it is now.  Fortunately or unfortunately, Kurt Cobain became a symbol of Gen X. 

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2009, 10:35:28 AM »

During 1990-96 (my teenage years) there was a constant stream of stories about Gen X.  The slant of the coverage was largely that we were apathetic, shallow, self-centered, cynical, slackers, materialistic, nihilistic and generally losers.  Boomer commentators sneered at our supposed lack of idealism and motivation.  Gen Xers, in turn, blamed boomers for screwing everything up for them (Gen Xers are much more likely to come from divorced families than their parents). Ours was the first generation to confront AIDS, back when it was much more frightening than it is now.  Fortunately or unfortunately, Kurt Cobain became a symbol of Gen X. 

You might be interested in the Fourth Turning debate, some of which dovetails with politics (including elections).  The vices enumerated were true of much of Generation X in the 1980s and 1990s -- but that is past. Now your generation has its own concerns -- survival in an economy run on "All for the Few" guidelines, the survival of your children, and prevention of further decay of the American way of life -- a way that used to be better and more satisfying in many respects.

You will notice that Boomers do not get off without criticism. At their worst they are ruthless, arrogant, and selfish -- the perfect combination for despots, harsh bosses, and rapacious plutocrats. Boomers came up with a flawed President (Bill Clinton) and what may be the worst in anyone's memory (Dubya -- Herbert Hoover at least had a moral compass). Boom executives pushed the megabuck compensation for corporate executives; their right-wing politicians pushed income tax cuts that could aid only the super-rich in buying out or destroying small-business competition (even in farming) while forcing regressive taxes onto everyone else to fund basic services. Boom religious leaders pushed superstition as a substitute for science on the specious claim that religious faith is the only basis of human goodness. As executives they transformed manufacturing businesses into importers. They used legalized loansharking as a means of draining cash from the middle class and the working class while they gutted manufacturing.  I look at the Boomer Right and I see a dream of a return, if not to the plantation Tara, then to an aristocratic order in all but name in which most people exist solely to enrich and pamper elites -- something like pre-1917 Russia, only with more religious fervor as an anodyne and a control.

CJK
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 11:43:34 AM »

You might be interested in the Fourth Turning debate, some of which dovetails with politics (including elections).  The vices enumerated were true of much of Generation X in the 1980s and 1990s -- but that is past. Now your generation has its own concerns -- survival in an economy run on "All for the Few" guidelines, the survival of your children, and prevention of further decay of the American way of life -- a way that used to be better and more satisfying in many respects.

You will notice that Boomers do not get off without criticism. At their worst they are ruthless, arrogant, and selfish -- the perfect combination for despots, harsh bosses, and rapacious plutocrats. Boomers came up with a flawed President (Bill Clinton) and what may be the worst in anyone's memory (Dubya -- Herbert Hoover at least had a moral compass). Boom executives pushed the megabuck compensation for corporate executives; their right-wing politicians pushed income tax cuts that could aid only the super-rich in buying out or destroying small-business competition (even in farming) while forcing regressive taxes onto everyone else to fund basic services. Boom religious leaders pushed superstition as a substitute for science on the specious claim that religious faith is the only basis of human goodness. As executives they transformed manufacturing businesses into importers. They used legalized loansharking as a means of draining cash from the middle class and the working class while they gutted manufacturing.  I look at the Boomer Right and I see a dream of a return, if not to the plantation Tara, then to an aristocratic order in all but name in which most people exist solely to enrich and pamper elites -- something like pre-1917 Russia, only with more religious fervor as an anodyne and a control.

Calm down. We're not even close to being 19th century Russia.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2009, 08:39:03 PM »

Calm down. We're not even close to being 19th century Russia.

The best way of describing our economic capacity and our financial institutions in the 1990s and this decade is "pearls before swine". 

We were headed in a very bad direction in part because of the worst traits of the Boom generation. They haven't all been tossed to the curb, but the last act (of influence upon history)  is over for those who exemplify the vices. The Gini coefficient, a measure of economic inequality, resembled that of Mexico -- and it was even worse than the one of 1929. Think about it; in eighty years, the ethnic component of inequality has become less severe not only due to the rise of non-WASP white groups but also the formal repudiation of segregationist abuse of blacks. The rural-urban divide and the regional divide aren't as severe as they used to be. It's hard to believe that those with stewardship over our industrial resources could foul things up so badly -- but they did precisely that.

That bad phase of American history is all but over.

impactreps
dcushmanjva
Rookie
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 07:30:44 PM »

Speaking as a teenager, and a staunch conservative, young voters aren't necessarily as liberal as everyone believes. Many of my friends supported Obama, but were also somewhat moderate on social issues; some were pro-life and others opposed to gay marriage. I agree with some of the comments on this thread that one of the main reasons Obama dominated among young voters was because of Bush's and the GOP's failures. After all, Reagan won young voters twice and Bush Sr. won them in 1988. Not to say that we only vote based on how well the incumbent party is doing, but we also tend not to follow politics as closely as older voters do, so more often than not make decisions based on how well we perceive the country is doing rather than on one specific issue.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2009, 12:42:18 AM »

Speaking as a teenager, and a staunch conservative, young voters aren't necessarily as liberal as everyone believes. Many of my friends supported Obama, but were also somewhat moderate on social issues; some were pro-life and others opposed to gay marriage. I agree with some of the comments on this thread that one of the main reasons Obama dominated among young voters was because of Bush's and the GOP's failures. After all, Reagan won young voters twice and Bush Sr. won them in 1988. Not to say that we only vote based on how well the incumbent party is doing, but we also tend not to follow politics as closely as older voters do, so more often than not make decisions based on how well we perceive the country is doing rather than on one specific issue.

What your buddies believe is no valid representation of America. Analogy: I have seen youth claim that "everyone uses drugs". The reality of such a claim is that everyone that those youth know uses drugs because if one is a drug user one is likely to congregate among those who also use drugs because such offers some comfort.  Alcoholics typically overestimate the number of alcoholics; gays and lesbians typically overestimate the incidence of homosexuality; church-goers overestimate the proportion of church-goers.

The young voters who supported Reagan and GHWB are now middle-aged or approaching it, and they had good cause to be more conservative in economics and social values (except sex, and youth are typically more permissive about sexuality than their elders) than America as a whole. They remembered Carter-era failure as a wishy-washy, eccentric liberal. Today's youngest voters -- not to mention those who will be voting for the first time in 2010 and 2012 -- remember Dubya-era failure that permeated not only the executive branch but also Congress.

They won't go conservative until they have a stake in the Establishment that now consists of the Religious Right (which they despise for superstition) and tycoons and executives whom they see as exploiters.  They see the potential for glass ceilings as their predecessors didn't, and those glass ceilings look much lower and more ominous because glass ceilings now imply poverty and economic insecurity.  They are likely to see government as a mediator between themselves and bureaucratic organizations and as originators of paid work on government projects intended to reduce unemployment. Until they pay high income taxes (few are yet in lucrative professions due to the length of the training-- yet) or successful businesses that they own and operate, they won't be concerned about taxes that others pay. 

CJK
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »

I guess what really gets to me is that people were discussing about how Obama had some sort of "special appeal" toward youths. Not me. I absolutely despised him during the campaign. Now I don't hate him like I used to but I feel no special connection to the man.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2009, 12:24:30 AM »

I guess what really gets to me is that people were discussing about how Obama had some sort of "special appeal" toward youths. Not me. I absolutely despised him during the campaign. Now I don't hate him like I used to but I feel no special connection to the man.

If America split 52-47, the youngest voters split about 60-40. There's nothing wrong in being among the 40. Maybe the Right side of the political spectrum will prove right in its assessment of America's needs. Maybe you are one of those who believes that because some executive's signature on your paycheck (or such is implied on the automatic transfer of your pay to a bank account) that you owe loyalty to your boss on politics. Maybe your family owns a business and you believe that a good business climate means one lenient toward the choices of business owners.

Some people think that Obama is still a dangerous demagogue,  loyalties suspect or misplaced. Some find his ability to attract young and enthusiastic voters scary.  Some think that he was grossly unqualified to lead America, having never run a business with the responsibility to meet a payroll. I have seen people compare him to Adolf Hitler (of all people, showing how hysterical people can get) in e-mails.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2009, 12:29:36 AM »

If America split 52-47, the youngest voters split about 60-40. There's nothing wrong in being among the 40. Maybe the Right side of the political spectrum will prove right in its assessment of America's needs. Maybe you are one of those who believes that because some executive's signature on your paycheck (or such is implied on the automatic transfer of your pay to a bank account) that you owe loyalty to your boss on politics. Maybe your family owns a business and you believe that a good business climate means one lenient toward the choices of business owners.

Some people think that Obama is still a dangerous demagogue,  loyalties suspect or misplaced. Some find his ability to attract young and enthusiastic voters scary.  Some think that he was grossly unqualified to lead America, having never run a business with the responsibility to meet a payroll. I have seen people compare him to Adolf Hitler (of all people, showing how hysterical people can get) in e-mails.

Voters 18-29 went to Obama 66-32
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2009, 05:49:31 PM »

If voters born between November 5, 1990 and November 6, 1994 are as liberal-leaning as voters between ages 18 and 29 were on Election Day 2008, then the Democratic trend should be strong in all states -- to the detriment of the GOP -- even if nothing else changes other than the usual attrition of older voters from the electorate due to death and senescence. That alone would be enough to swing Missouri, Montana, and Georgia to Obama in 2012, and it will be enough to solidify Democratic majorities in North Carolina, Indiana, Florida, Ohio, and Virginia.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2009, 07:28:26 PM »

But you are dismissing the fact that people get more conservative as they get older. Case in point, McCain won the 65+ group by a greater margin than Bush.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2009, 07:40:27 PM »

But you are dismissing the fact that people get more conservative as they get older. Case in point, McCain won the 65+ group by a greater margin than Bush.

In some cases it does happen.  However, part of that difference is part of the fact that the 65+ group in 08 contained more of post FDR generation (but, pre baby boomer) which has always been a bit more Republican than the FDR generation.  Also, Obama's race likely was a bigger factor with the older white vote the middle aged white vote.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2009, 08:13:25 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2009, 08:15:12 PM by sbane »

Yeah the swing against Obama amongst older voters was probably due to race. Still I think there will be a swing against Obama amongst younger voters in 2012 if he doesn't do a good job.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2009, 10:23:55 PM »

If voters born between November 5, 1990 and November 6, 1994 are as liberal-leaning as voters between ages 18 and 29 were on Election Day 2008, then the Democratic trend should be strong in all states -- to the detriment of the GOP -- even if nothing else changes other than the usual attrition of older voters from the electorate due to death and senescence. That alone would be enough to swing Missouri, Montana, and Georgia to Obama in 2012, and it will be enough to solidify Democratic majorities in North Carolina, Indiana, Florida, Ohio, and Virginia.

That's a big if. Remember, these people became politically aware, so to speak, when Democrats controlled both houses of congress. Democrats will have controlled the white house for most of the time too. These kids will have much less hatred of Bush (as I younger person myself, I've heard current high schoolers talk be indifferent to Bush, and I live in liberal area).

Any mistakes Democrats make will have multiple times more of an effect on these people than others.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies