Are young voters really as Democratic as being portrayed? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:01:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Are young voters really as Democratic as being portrayed? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are young voters really as Democratic as being portrayed?  (Read 12737 times)
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« on: June 04, 2009, 03:02:42 PM »
« edited: June 04, 2009, 03:07:08 PM by Ogre Mage »

The President that it best knows (at least until January 2009) is of course George W. Bush... and even with Bill Clinton it recognizes that the Republican-dominated Congress called the shots. Dubya was not the sort of President to serve as an introduction of American politics at the best. Earlier generations at least know Ronald Reagan.

I am of the infamous Gen X and I have thought that part of the reason for the Republican lean among Gen Xers was that we grew up observing Democratic failure (Carter) and Republican success (Reagan).  Not that I agree with Reagan's philosophy, but he was successful in advancing his agenda.

However, those of us who are younger Gen Xers (born in the mid and late 70s) grew up under Bush I and Clinton.  Those are the Presidents I mainly remember from my youth.

Given that today's generation grew up under Bush II, one of the worst Presidents in history, their Democratic lean is not surprising.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 07:15:44 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2009, 07:21:19 AM by Ogre Mage »

Infamous Generation X? Obama is sometimes considered part of it. 

During 1990-96 (my teenage years) there was a constant stream of stories about Gen X.  The slant of the coverage was largely that we were apathetic, shallow, self-centered, cynical, slackers, materialistic, nihilistic and generally losers.  Boomer commentators sneered at our supposed lack of idealism and motivation.  Gen Xers, in turn, blamed boomers for screwing everything up for them (Gen Xers are much more likely to come from divorced families than their parents). Ours was the first generation to confront AIDS, back when it was much more frightening than it is now.  Fortunately or unfortunately, Kurt Cobain became a symbol of Gen X. 

Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 06:24:57 PM »

The GOP's hostility to gay rights is symptomatic of their hostility to historically discriminated groups.  In modern times the party has had bad relations with women's rights and minority organizations and they have not done well with those demographics in elections.  Their issues with gays and lesbians are in a similar vein.  It feeds the perception that whatever tokens they might shove in front of the camera, only the powers that have always been are represented there.

Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 02:27:32 PM »

The GOP's hostility to gay rights is symptomatic of their hostility to historically discriminated groups.  In modern times the party has had bad relations with women's rights and minority organizations and they have not done well with those demographics in elections.  Their issues with gays and lesbians are in a similar vein.  It feeds the perception that whatever tokens they might shove in front of the camera, only the powers that have always been are represented there.

I'm not saying your wrong, but it is hard to reach out to these organizations when they have practically become wings of the Democratic primary. You didn't hear any women's rights group criticizing Clinton during the Lewinsky scandal.

President Clinton was pro-choice and he created the FMLA and SCHIP, all of which was opposed by the Republican base.  The President actually did something to support families instead of just (hypocritically) touting "family values."  I daresay women noticed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies