Oklahoma Lt Governor Race 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:16:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Oklahoma Lt Governor Race 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oklahoma Lt Governor Race 2010  (Read 5916 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2009, 06:08:35 PM »

I know most of you won't care about the Lt Governor race for Oklahoma in 2010, but here is the latest, anyway.

As you probably know, popular Democratic Lt Governor Jari Askins is seeking the Governors Mansion being vacated by term-limited Brad Henry.  This means there is an open race for Lt Governor.  According to our local NBC news at 5:00, Republican State Senator Todd Lamb is organizing an exploratory committee and will probably announce a run for the seat before too long.  To make his candidacy more credible, former Senator Don Nickles will serve as Lamb's campaign manager.  Senator Nickles was immensely popular as a Senator from Oklahoma before he retired in 2004 (his seat is now held by Tom Coburn) and could have had the seat as long as he wanted it.  I don't know much about Todd Lamb other than that I believe he's from Edmond (an upper-scale northern suburb of Oklahoma City).

On the Democratic side, we have two possible contenders -- State Rep. John Carey and State Sen. Kenneth Corn.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 08:42:28 AM »

I know most of you won't care about the Lt Governor race for Oklahoma in 2010, but here is the latest, anyway.

As you probably know, popular Democratic Lt Governor Jari Askins is seeking the Governors Mansion being vacated by term-limited Brad Henry.  This means there is an open race for Lt Governor.  According to our local NBC news at 5:00, Republican State Senator Todd Lamb is organizing an exploratory committee and will probably announce a run for the seat before too long.  To make his candidacy more credible, former Senator Don Nickles will serve as Lamb's campaign manager.  Senator Nickles was immensely popular as a Senator from Oklahoma before he retired in 2004 (his seat is now held by Tom Coburn) and could have had the seat as long as he wanted it.  I don't know much about Todd Lamb other than that I believe he's from Edmond (an upper-scale northern suburb of Oklahoma City).

On the Democratic side, we have two possible contenders -- State Rep. John Carey and State Sen. Kenneth Corn.

Askins has only been in office for 1 term. Before that Fallin held this seat for either 2 or 3 terms(Not sure which). Considering the high profile support that Lamb is getting I would say its Lean Rep. But that could of course change.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:46:14 PM »

Askins has only been in office for 1 term. Before that Fallin held this seat for either 2 or 3 terms(Not sure which). Considering the high profile support that Lamb is getting I would say its Lean Rep. But that could of course change.

Fallin held it for 12 years (3 terms, 1995-2007). She served all 8 years of Keating's administration and the first 4 years of Henry's administration.

I agree that given Nickles support behind Lamb, it is probably Lean GOP at this point.  Like you said, though, things can change either way.  It can either become a toss-up or a safe Republican.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 05:06:59 PM »

Arrrrrr.......
I was afraid this would happen. Brad Henry was a pretty good governor for our state. I can't imagine how crazy this place will get now that we're losing a sane moderate politician (that leans conservative). I can only hope that if the governor's mansion is taken by a Republican that they're more in the Frank Keating mold than in the Jim Inhofe mold.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 05:13:25 PM »

Arrrrrr.......
I was afraid this would happen. Brad Henry was a pretty good governor for our state. I can't imagine how crazy this place will get now that we're losing a sane moderate politician (that leans conservative). I can only hope that if the governor's mansion is taken by a Republican that they're more in the Frank Keating mold than in the Jim Inhofe mold.

http://www.maryfallin.org/

Look at the dropdown for her issues pages. Pro-life issues, faith, family, freedom, and second amendment all rank above insignificant issues like health care, education, and the economy. Good luck.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 06:25:44 PM »

Arrrrrr.......

The fact that you send these two lunatics at the Senate should be enough reason to expel you from the Union.
In most European countries, these guys would be considered unacceptable even by the most fringe right-wing parties.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 07:10:01 PM »

Arrrrrr.......

The fact that you send these two lunatics at the Senate should be enough reason to expel you from the Union.
In most European countries, these guys would be considered unacceptable even by the most fringe right-wing parties.

True. But I'm too broke to move anywhere and in this economy finding a job is friggin crazy (I've been searching for over a friggin month now). I'm pretty much stuck here with all the crazies, lol.
Plus I didn't send them to the Senate, I was only friggin 16 when Coburn was first elected and I voted (only because my party can't get onto the ballot with the insane ballot access laws here) for Andrew Rice in 2008 when Inhofe was up for re-election. The only reason why I even voted in 2006 and 2008 was to remove the crazies from office! The least important decision I made on that day was voting for president. I've been trying like hell to help get those guys out of office!
Okay, but if you expel Oklahoma from the Union I expect the government to bail me out so I can move to friggin Montana where libertarianism is supposedly cool.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 07:14:14 PM »

Hey, if you find something good in Montana tell me.
I'd love to move there. Wink
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 07:16:09 PM »

Arrrrrr.......

Look at the dropdown for her issues pages. Pro-life issues, faith, family, freedom, and second amendment all rank above insignificant issues like health care, education, and the economy. Good luck.

Ridiculous. Definitely not in the Frank Keating mold apparently.
But isn't freedom important? Oh....wait. Nevermind! Apparently freedom means different things to super duper reactionaries than it does me!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 07:20:48 PM »

Arrrrrr.......

Ridiculous. Definitely not in the Frank Keating mold apparently.
But isn't freedom important? Oh....wait. Nevermind! Apparently freedom means different things to super duper reactionaries than it does me!

Yep the same God, Guns and Gays campaign that elected Inhofe in 1994.

Really your only options are a guy like Coburn or a guy like Inhofe. At least the former is for reducing spending. Just take a look at the guy who would have ran to replace Coburn if he retired, Tom Cole, he is a pork barreler and he got the NRCC into a financial scandal. I think you are better of with Coburn.

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 08:17:37 PM »

Or I could just vote Democrat or third party?
I'm just bracing for the inevitable Republican win. It's pretty damn likely to happen.
And yes Coburn is a great with fiscal responsibility, but it doesn't change the fat that he is still a loon.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 08:21:42 PM »

Or I could just vote Democrat or third party?
I'm just bracing for the inevitable Republican win. It's pretty damn likely to happen.
And yes Coburn is a great with fiscal responsibility, but it doesn't change the fat that he is still a loon.
Actually the only way I'd get to vote third party is if we got way fairer ballot access laws, other than that....damn it. Looks like I'm going to have to vote for the Damnocrat.
If you're wondering why I'm so anti GOP governorship, just look at the friggin wikipedia pages for Oklahoma Republican politicians. They're batsh**t insane. Some of the Democrats in this state are actually kind of fiscally conservative. In fact they're conservatives but just nowhere as near as batsh**t insane as the Republicans.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 08:23:16 PM »

Should we rename this board: Who the hell should Mechaman vote for in the Lt Governor race? Or is it Governor? I got lost in all this WTFing on Okie politics.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies