name one pol that you hate that everyone loves...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:26:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  name one pol that you hate that everyone loves...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: name one pol that you hate that everyone loves...  (Read 2315 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2009, 07:28:47 PM »

ill abstain from this.  let others draw their own conclusions...
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »

Romney!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 07:52:12 PM »

John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 08:02:03 PM »

LBJ
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 08:06:39 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2009, 08:10:42 PM by Tmthforu94 »

What does pol mean?
(Sorry Sad)

Never mind, I got  it.

Probably...
Abraham Lincoln
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 08:10:34 PM »

Until a year ago John Edwards would have been a good answer. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 08:45:04 PM »

I think George Washington is vastly over-rated, as is Reagan. I think a lot of the "moderate heroes" or "centrists" that people love so much are generally just spineless corporate hacks (Bayh, Nelson, etc.).
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 09:06:52 PM »

Orrin Hatch and Hubert Humphrey spring to mind, but I wouldn't exactly say that "everyone loves" either of them.

As far as presidents go, I've never liked James Polk.  He's usually held with high regard for being one of the most effective presidents, and I'll credit him that, but his policies were largely terrible.  The concept of Manifest Destiny was imperialism in all but name, and stimulated the slavery conflicts that dominated the next twenty years.  His warmongering with Mexico was pretty shameful as well.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 09:50:05 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2009, 09:52:14 PM by ICE HOCKEY »

For a while I'd say my answer was Rick Santorum.  And I could understand why.  Before he got big into his moral tirades, he actually said some good things about responsible fatherhood, etc.  It seemed the voters of PA didn't catch onto his crap until later.  I'll admit, he is one of the GOP's best orators.  I even disapproved of him when his approval ratings were in the 50s.

My other answer locally is Frank Rizzo Sr.  Other than his tough "law and order" stuff, he didn't do jack sh**t and a lot of (*yeah, I'll say it*) white people I know have blinders to his true ineptitude as mayor of Philadelphia.  He may have been a good, tough Commish, but he was brutal as Mayor.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 10:10:56 PM »

Yeah, I remember you sort of flipping out on me for posting a picture I took with Hatch at the 2004 GOP convention.  Tongue
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 10:58:18 PM »

i just thought of someone.  arlen specter.  a real piece of feces.  always has been.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 01:22:36 AM »

Yeah, I remember you sort of flipping out on me for posting a picture I took with Hatch at the 2004 GOP convention.  Tongue

I don't really remember that, but if it's true that you shared a camera lens with that man, then my opinion of you has just taken a beating.

i just thought of someone.  arlen specter.  a real piece of feces.  always has been.

Who loves Arlen Specter?  (Aside from Arlen Specter, obviously.)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 04:05:52 AM »

John Brumby
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 04:17:43 AM »

Ronald Reagan, as good a speaker as the man was and all that, I just simply can't stand him.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 04:51:25 AM »

George H.W. Bush.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 05:18:03 AM »

Ronald Reagan
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 05:27:34 AM »

I don't think anybody in this thread understands what "everyone" means.  Does it mean anything over 50%...because even then I'm pretty sure Reagan and LBJ aren't making the "everyone loves" list.  People seem to be answering a different question....Who do you hate that a few other people really like?

(except for the Washington and Lincoln votes, but you'd have to be a special kind of asshat to vote for either)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 07:46:16 AM »

Hey he got elected twice and is still revered by many. 
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 08:32:49 AM »

Everyone in my state loves Mikulski but I think shes been mediocre at best, she is too much of a feminist for my tastes....
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 10:25:33 AM »

I don't think anybody in this thread understands what "everyone" means.  Does it mean anything over 50%...because even then I'm pretty sure Reagan and LBJ aren't making the "everyone loves" list.  People seem to be answering a different question....Who do you hate that a few other people really like?

(except for the Washington and Lincoln votes, but you'd have to be a special kind of asshat to vote for either)

With the possible exception of Washington, I can't think of any politicians that "everyone" loves, so this is a difficult question to answer.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 10:41:22 AM »

With the possible exception of Washington, I can't think of any politicians that "everyone" loves, so this is a difficult question to answer.

Indeed. If a politician gets about 60% approval, that's really close enough, since all politicians have numerous detractors.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 11:22:49 AM »

For a while I'd say my answer was Rick Santorum.  And I could understand why.  Before he got big into his moral tirades, he actually said some good things about responsible fatherhood, etc.  It seemed the voters of PA didn't catch onto his crap until later.  I'll admit, he is one of the GOP's best orators.  I even disapproved of him when his approval ratings were in the 50s.

My other answer locally is Frank Rizzo Sr.  Other than his tough "law and order" stuff, he didn't do jack sh**t and a lot of (*yeah, I'll say it*) white people I know have blinders to his true ineptitude as mayor of Philadelphia.  He may have been a good, tough Commish, but he was brutal as Mayor.

Give me a break, Flyers. You know both of them had plenty of haters even at the heights of their popularity. You just wanted to complain about them...

I don't really remember that, but if it's true that you shared a camera lens with that man, then my opinion of you has just taken a beating.

Yeah, you said that then, too.  Sad
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 12:18:27 PM »

As far as presidents go, I've never liked James Polk.  He's usually held with high regard for being one of the most effective presidents, and I'll credit him that, but his policies were largely terrible.  The concept of Manifest Destiny was imperialism in all but name, and stimulated the slavery conflicts that dominated the next twenty years.  His warmongering with Mexico was pretty shameful as well.

This, too. So far as I am concerned, half of the States added after the Civil War under the guise of the policy of Manifest Destiny were illegally gotten, and (in a just world) would be ceded back to their rightful owners - the indigenous people. But, so long as such States remain under U.S. control, then, under a pragmatic and realistic policy, we ought to look towards giving to those natives some semblance of real social and political power henceforth denied to them by the presently existing liberal-conservative social order.

We must never, as a people - never - sacrifice our principles to the dictates of an imperialist system that compels us to continually expand our territorial holdings. We must permit other cultures to thrive without intervention. James Polk is virtually an ideal embodiment of everything terrible in the American spirit.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 05:40:34 PM »

Dick Cheney
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2009, 01:02:56 AM »

Lord Reagan