Constitutional Convention Update Board
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:03:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Constitutional Convention Update Board
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Constitutional Convention Update Board  (Read 950 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2009, 11:10:50 AM »

As presiding officer of the national Constitutional Convention currently underway, I am creating this thread to both update the people on what is going on, as well as to provide an easily accessible forum for non-delegates to throw their ideas out there.

First, all on-goings of the Convention can be found here.

Update 3/24:

The delegates are currently hashing out a Rules of Order to guide the Convention.

A thread has been created for the proposal of alternative forms of governments to be constructed by the Convention. Currently the leading candidate appears to be a Parliamentarian Universalism setup, but other forms are in the pipes. Once a number of these ideas have been listed there will be a vote on which archetype should be pursued, followed by a ground-up construction of a Constitution.

Various threads have begun to discuss different ideas. Why none of these proposals have any sway due to uncertainty of what type of government will be built, the ideas will aid in the recognition of issues to be kept in mind.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 12:11:46 AM »

Update 2/26:

The Rules of Order have been officially implemented, although voting remains open for delegates to place their votes on the record. So far consent is unanimous.

While the proposal thread for government models remains open for input and ideas, the different suggestions are currently being discussed in separate threads to allow for debate and development of ideas before choosing the proposal we will pursue.

It has been decided that the Convention will pursue multiple forms of government at once and then judge the best result of the completed constitutions. Some ideas will be weeded out by an early vote to determine general viability, but most will likely progress to development stages.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 01:01:30 AM »

Update 3/29:

Discussion on current appears to be nearing a conclusion as debate winds down and dust begins to settle. A number of long theses recapping the proposals and ideas discussed have popped up, most notably one by AG Marokai and one by myself. Each one does a good job of summarizing the current discussions and giving them some body and context.

Presiding Officer Editorial

As the Convention progresses through the broader areas of discussion there seems to be little non-delegate discussion of the on-goings. A few members of Atlasia have participated, despite their status as non-delegates, and have been accepted with open arms. However, it is a rare occurrence.

It is my fear that as the Convention transitions from broad ideas of government archetypes and into the minutia of actually tinkering with and building a Constitution from the ground-up, there will be no hope of outside contributions.

So I call on all citizens of Atlasia to make your voices heard and express your opinions in the Constitutional Convention sub-board in the Atlas Government Board, here.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 03:33:59 PM »

Update 3/30:

Voting has opened on the various proposals to be taken up for debate by the Convention. Thus far 6 votes have been cast and no proposals have reached the required votes to be selected.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 07:56:50 PM »

Update 4/06:

The Convention is now full into debate and discussion on each of the proposals.

Major event, as a motion is currently at vote to reword the Presidential Universalism proposal outline to a surprising, yet promising compromise between the universalists and anti-universalists.

In other news, a quick nomination thread has been opened for the appointment of an acting presiding officer while current presiding officer, Purple State, is away for the holiday of Passover, between Wednesday night and Saturday night of this week. Talk of a "war" aspect to the game has surfaced in a thread in the Convention. A debate is underway on the future of parties under the new Constitution, including how to create a diversity of parties across the spectrum.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 08:22:08 PM »

Update 4/13:

A motion has been brought to a vote in the Parliamentary Bicameralism proposal to institute an article on the regions. The motion can be found here, with the debate appearing in the posts leading up to it. Feel free to voice your opinion.

New delegates bullmoose88 and MasterJedi have sworn in after appointed by their regions' respective Governor and ilv.

Little other action to report, as activity has seemed to fall off in recent days. I urge all citizens to urge your regionally-elected delegates to participate and vote.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 09:07:17 PM »

I've been naughty and haven't updated this in a while, but we are close to a final vote on a proposal in the Convention so I believe it is important everyone know what is going on.

As Presiding Officer, one can imagine it has been frustrating that so few people have decided to participate. However, I think it is important that we leave it up to those who choose to participate. And so it is. A few amendments were recently passed on the proposal out there. You can read the full text of the amendments, as well as what the current proposal (as amended) looks here.

Please browse it and register your comments. I plan on bringing it to a final vote of the full Convention Friday, so please make sure any amendments you think of are clearly offered.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies