FRANZL ELECTION TRACKER (updated as of 7:09 pm, THURSDAY)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:39:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FRANZL ELECTION TRACKER (updated as of 7:09 pm, THURSDAY)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23
Author Topic: FRANZL ELECTION TRACKER (updated as of 7:09 pm, THURSDAY)  (Read 45013 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: June 21, 2009, 08:30:02 PM »

fwiw, I fully intend on counting Barnes' vote.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #276 on: June 21, 2009, 08:31:58 PM »

fwiw, I fully intend on counting Barnes' vote.

The final certification will likely determine if lawsuits are brought. If the challenges would not change the outcome, I doubt a case will be brought (although we still will need to clarify what the true law is here).
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #277 on: June 21, 2009, 09:04:22 PM »

But no one told that to Barnes after he registered. I mean, why would he be looking in the "New Register" thread? It wasn't mentioned till just a few days ago, so he wouldn't of had time to be able to register and vote. It was our mistake for not telling him.

Maybe. But ignorance of the law, if this is what we presume the law to be, is no excuse I'm afraid.

That I agree with. Ignorance of the law does not make up for not abiding by the law. That said, I have doubts as to whether this, in fact, deviated from the law to the extent that Barnes's vote would be discounted. I usually prefer to see as few votes invalidated as possible and so side with a broader interpretation of the law, but it is up to the SoFA and the courts to decide this one.

I agree. Which is why I'll be taking it to the court. I don;t know if there are any other votes that may be affected in this race

Your lawsuit will have my full support, and if you don't take it to court, I will. Wink People can't just hop in and say they want to vote and expect us to count your posts. The law is quite clear that you register AFTER you get the required amount of posts.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #278 on: June 21, 2009, 09:29:35 PM »

So, ah, how close is the Midwest Senate race really, then?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #279 on: June 21, 2009, 09:42:37 PM »

But no one told that to Barnes after he registered. I mean, why would he be looking in the "New Register" thread? It wasn't mentioned till just a few days ago, so he wouldn't of had time to be able to register and vote. It was our mistake for not telling him.

Maybe. But ignorance of the law, if this is what we presume the law to be, is no excuse I'm afraid.

That I agree with. Ignorance of the law does not make up for not abiding by the law. That said, I have doubts as to whether this, in fact, deviated from the law to the extent that Barnes's vote would be discounted. I usually prefer to see as few votes invalidated as possible and so side with a broader interpretation of the law, but it is up to the SoFA and the courts to decide this one.

I agree. Which is why I'll be taking it to the court. I don;t know if there are any other votes that may be affected in this race

Your lawsuit will have my full support, and if you don't take it to court, I will. Wink People can't just hop in and say they want to vote and expect us to count your posts. The law is quite clear that you register AFTER you get the required amount of posts.

It's not clear, that's the problem.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #280 on: June 21, 2009, 09:44:33 PM »

It's not clear, that's the problem.

It's clear if you take the time to actually read the books, as Afleitch posted, it's not clear only because of the clouding of the facts made by those who want to register as much of The 25's as possible and because of not needing to really be this strict in the past.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #281 on: June 21, 2009, 09:47:49 PM »

[1] Senator PiT [PiT (The Physicist)]/Senator HappyWarrior [hannibal]
Regional Protection Party/Democratic Alliance

lol
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #282 on: June 21, 2009, 09:48:49 PM »

[1] Senator PiT [PiT (The Physicist)]/Senator HappyWarrior [hannibal]
Regional Protection Party/Democratic Alliance

lol

What is funny?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #283 on: June 21, 2009, 09:49:27 PM »

It's clear if you take the time to actually read the books, as Afleitch posted, it's not clear only because of the clouding of the facts made by those who want to register as much of The 25's as possible and because of not needing to really be this strict in the past.

Let's not spin this 'till its head flies off. The actual law is unclear. Outside sources, such as comments in the New Register Thread and the SoFA Law Wiki, can be added and edited by anyone, whether they have a full understanding of the actual statute or not.

Based on the text that is codified as law, the matter is unclear and relies on whether you take a strict or broad interpretation of the law.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #284 on: June 21, 2009, 09:51:06 PM »

Let's not spin this 'till its head flies off. The actual law is unclear. Outside sources, such as comments in the New Register Thread and the SoFA Law Wiki, can be added and edited by anyone, whether they have a full understanding of the actual statute or not.

Based on the text that is codified as law, the matter is unclear and relies on whether you take a strict or broad interpretation of the law.

Could you please explain to me how registering to vote before you have the eligibility requirements being okay makes sense?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #285 on: June 21, 2009, 09:54:22 PM »

Could you please explain to me how registering to vote before you have the eligibility requirements being okay makes sense?

We do it in the US...

As mentioned earlier, if your 18th birthday is before election day, you can "register" to vote before your birthday, but are not eligible to vote until you actually turn 18. So too here, you should be allowed to register, but only be allowed to vote when you hit 25 posts + 7 days.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #286 on: June 21, 2009, 09:56:33 PM »

We do it in the US...

As mentioned earlier, if your 18th birthday is before election day, you can "register" to vote before your birthday, but are not eligible to vote until you actually turn 18. So too here, you should be allowed to register, but only be allowed to vote when you hit 25 posts + 7 days.

A 25 post requirement is different than aging. We may as well just abolish voter registration altogether and let anyone vote who has 25 posts. Roll Eyes
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #287 on: June 21, 2009, 09:59:24 PM »

We do it in the US...

A 25 post requirement is different than aging. We may as well just abolish voter registration altogether and let anyone vote who has 25 posts. Roll Eyes

Of course it does. The point of the requirement is to make sure someone has been oriented a sufficient amount to the forum. That's why I am hoping we can increase the numbers. I don't believe 25 posts is sufficient.

And your last point there doesn't make sense and you know it, otherwise the US wouldn't require voter registration. Anyone who turned 18 could just walk into a voting booth...
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #288 on: June 21, 2009, 11:00:03 PM »

And it's over.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #289 on: June 21, 2009, 11:01:07 PM »

And I used to think zombies were our biggest problem. Ah, youth.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #290 on: June 21, 2009, 11:01:53 PM »

Dangit, two minutes late Tongue
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #291 on: June 21, 2009, 11:06:25 PM »

Well, I'm pretty used to losing by depressingly close margins at this point. Tongue
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #292 on: June 21, 2009, 11:06:47 PM »

They still are.  Just remember you were once a noob too.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #293 on: June 21, 2009, 11:07:22 PM »

I'm looking forward to Earl's certification. Seeing who had invalid votes will be painstaking.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #294 on: June 21, 2009, 11:07:32 PM »

Well, I'm pretty used to losing by depressingly close margins at this point. Tongue

You would've won, if a couple of your votes turned up on time, and The 25's weren't around.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #295 on: June 21, 2009, 11:08:15 PM »

These aren't your average newbies, The 25's are vote slaves.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #296 on: June 21, 2009, 11:10:04 PM »

Just remember that some voted for your chosen ticket too.  Also isn't that what zombies are too oftentimes?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #297 on: June 21, 2009, 11:11:18 PM »

Just remember that some voted for your chosen ticket too.  Also isn't that what zombies are too oftentimes?

Well, to some extent. But alot of our zombies are at least established members of the forum, they just don't participate here.

Also, regardless of the outcome, I thought either of the tickets are fantastic, and I'm sure you and PiT will do a great job, even if I did want a bit more of a legislative focus.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #298 on: June 21, 2009, 11:14:38 PM »

I don't see a controversial ending here.  The only votes being disputed are Gustaf and Barnes, both votes for PiT- who wins the election by one vote without either of the disputed votes.  Where's the controversy?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #299 on: June 21, 2009, 11:15:53 PM »

I don't see a controversial ending here.  The only votes being disputed are Gustaf and Barnes, both votes for PiT- who wins the election by one vote without either of the disputed votes.  Where's the controversy?

I believe without Jfern or Gustaf it ends in a tie after DC is counted for PiT. We need the final certification from Earl though.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies