States May Ban Abortion if Roe Overturned
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:57:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  States May Ban Abortion if Roe Overturned
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: States May Ban Abortion if Roe Overturned  (Read 3615 times)
raggage

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2004, 02:27:54 AM »

Actually, New Mexico would be at least moderate risk and quite possibly high risk, although I haven't seen any polls on it. But given NM social conservatism on other issues, and the fact that we banned partial-birth abortions *before* the feds did - with around half of the Democrats joining almost all the Republicans in the State Legislature, I'd say there's quite a good chance of it.

Mantra: NM has a large number of Democrats, but not a large number of social liberals.

No way Richardson signs that though.
raggage

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2004, 02:28:41 AM »

Many key Dems are (our Auditor General and soon to be State Treasurer Bob Casey - the state's most popular Dem) pro life, too. Add PA to that list.

Not if Rendell's still governor! 

Rendell is Governor? When did that happen? Tongue

Santorum is Senator? When did that happen? Tongue
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2004, 06:31:24 AM »

Plenty of southern Democrats would vote for a bill banning abortion.

Can we all agree, regardless of where you stand on abortion, that Roe vs. Wade is a bogus ruling found no where in the Constitution.

Absoultely not. Can you please point to somewhere in the constitution that would support your arguement?

I'll let Phillip defend his own argument, but I ask you the reverse - exactly where in the Constitution is abortion specifically protected or gauranteed?
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2004, 06:35:19 AM »

How about Colorado?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2004, 02:42:39 PM »

Actually, New Mexico would be at least moderate risk and quite possibly high risk, although I haven't seen any polls on it. But given NM social conservatism on other issues, and the fact that we banned partial-birth abortions *before* the feds did - with around half of the Democrats joining almost all the Republicans in the State Legislature, I'd say there's quite a good chance of it.

Mantra: NM has a large number of Democrats, but not a large number of social liberals.

No way Richardson signs that though.

1. Are you sure? He's against gay marriage, you know.
2. Or the State Legislature could just circumvent him and make it an amendment to the state constitution which is voted on in the next General Election.
3. In any event, it would depend on the exact content of the bill - a complete ban would probably fail, but one with the rape/incest/life of the mother exemption (and probably a health of the mother exemption with restrictions so people can't use morning sickness as an excuse for an abortion), first trimester only bill would very likely pass both the Legislature and the popular vote. We ain't Massachusetts here...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2004, 03:37:42 PM »

You people should make maps.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies