Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 09:19:45 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Grad Students are the Worst, Torie, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Who would you have voted for...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: ... in the 2004 election for US Senate in Oklahoma?
Tom Coburn (Republican)   -8 (21.6%)
Brad Carson (Democratic)   -14 (37.8%)
Sheila Bilyeu (Independent)   -15 (40.5%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Who would you have voted for...  (Read 1617 times)
Rob
Bob
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2009, 08:34:47 pm »
Ignore

This is pretty much the most disgusting recent American election I can think of, for the quality (or lack thereof) of candidates and for the outcome. Tongue

Tom Coburn crushed the right-wing mayor of Oklahoma City in the GOP primary with 65 percent of the vote in a three-way race, carrying 76 of 77 counties. He backed the death penalty for doctors who perform abortions, decried "rampant lesbianism" in Oklahoma public schools, and attacked gays as the biggest threat to the US.

Brad Carson- a member of the Cherokee Nation- was one of the most conservative Blue Dogs in the House. He backed the war in Iraq, the Bush tax cuts (and favored making them permanent), ANWR drilling, suggested that the IRS could be abolished, and refused to endorse John Kerry. After the election, he wrote an article explaining that

for the vast majority of Oklahomans--and, I would suspect, voters in other red states--these transcendent cultural concerns are more important than universal health care or raising the minimum wage or preserving farm subsidies. Pace Thomas Frank, the voters aren't deluded or uneducated. They simply reject the notion that material concerns are more real than spiritual or cultural ones.

Sheila Bilyeu was an independent candidate (and onetime candidate for the Green presidential nomination) who openly favored same-sex marriage and opposed the war in Iraq. She also sued the government, because they planted a tracking device in her skull.

in the end, of course, crazy Coburn demolished crazy Carson with 53 percent to 41 percent of the vote. 86,663 Oklahomans- 6 percent of voters- went with the lady with the bug in her head.

So, pick your poison. Who would you have voted for?

Here’s what Sarah Palin represents: being a fat fucking pig who pins “Country First” buttons on his man titties and chants “U-S-A! U-S-A!” at the top of his lungs while his kids live off credit cards and Saudis buy up all the mortgages in Kansas.
All In For KC
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 08:37:51 pm »
Ignore

Tom Coburn...

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson
Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 08:39:14 pm »
Ignore

Sadly, someone who believes there's a tracking device in her head is more sane than Coburn or your average Oklahoma "Democrat." So, Sheila Bilyeu.

Rowan
RowanBrandon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 08:39:34 pm »
Ignore

Coburn.
Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 08:43:12 pm »
Ignore

Other (D) - Never live in Oklahoma.

this is real
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 09:17:37 pm »
Ignore

Carson's the least of all evils, but I'd still vote:

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 09:29:06 pm »
Ignore

Carson.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Lief
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 09:33:58 pm »
Ignore

Sheila Bilyeu is, of the three, the most in touch with mainstream America.

But I would choose death over living in Oklahoma.

Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 09:43:49 pm »
Ignore

I was happy with both Coburn and Carson. I would have voted for the former.

The soon-to-be-re-elected Kings of Kansas.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 10:19:33 pm »
Ignore

Coburn. He rocks!!

Coburn 2020!!!

Economic score: -6.80
Social score: -0.97
I'm a crazy Liberal  Troll. LAWL

ndvc ,b., b

CRAZY GAY TROLL LIBRAL FROM ALABAMAS
Alabama is dum redecks!

Gays and minorites are sexeh
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 10:51:07 pm »
Ignore

"Suicide is painless".

In a absence of a gun, sword, or noose, I'll go with the crazy, skull-tracking lady.  She'd be in good company with the rest of D.C.
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 11:22:12 pm »
Ignore

Sadly, someone who believes there's a tracking device in her head is more sane than Coburn or your average Oklahoma "Democrat." So, Sheila Bilyeu.
Very true.......it's very sad but true. The rampant homophobia and abortophobia (if you will) in this state is crazy. This state is so socially conservative that the phrase "tattoo decriminalization" exists! I would've voted Shelia Bilyeu hands down. Too bad the OKLP can hardly ever make a ticket because of insane ballot access laws. Bilyeu gets my respect for getting enough signatures to be on there and getting 6% of the vote in this insane state. I think she got that much because of social progressives (libertarians and greens) coming out in a protest vote. Yes I do think the libertarians in this state are more liberal than the Democrats here.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 11:25:42 pm by Mechaman »Logged

17:20   bore   the point of atlasia is to achieve things which you can then use as pick up lines
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 12:41:20 am »
Ignore

Almost certainly Bilyeu. I was more partisan in 2004 though and maybe would have tried to force myself to go for the "Democrat".

JSojourner
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 10:12:59 am »
Ignore

This

WalterMitty
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 03:42:52 pm »
Ignore

carson.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today
ChrisJG777
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 11:16:49 am »
Ignore

Well I'd initially avoid living in Oklahoma, but if I did I'd go for Bilyeu, though only just.  It's not like the other two are any better anyway.

Political Matrix scores

This space for rent.
This space also for rent.
This space not for rent.
This space possibly up for rent.
This space for rent only on months ending in the letter "Y".
Coburn In 2012
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 04:14:20 pm »
Ignore

I would vote for Tom Coburn against almost any one else.

If the Republican Party continues to ignore its conservative base, then the Party is headed to oblivion.

Jerome Corsi
pogo stick
JewishConservative
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 07:47:14 pm »
Ignore

I would vote for Tom Coburn against almost any one else.

Cheesy AMEN DUDE!!!

Economic score: -6.80
Social score: -0.97
I'm a crazy Liberal  Troll. LAWL

ndvc ,b., b

CRAZY GAY TROLL LIBRAL FROM ALABAMAS
Alabama is dum redecks!

Gays and minorites are sexeh
Mint
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 05:14:41 pm »
Ignore

This
Nym90
nym90
Modadmin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 04:18:03 pm »
Ignore

Carson.

I agree that spiritual and cultural concerns are of equal, and sometimes greater, importance than material ones. However, politics revolves around material concerns, and so called "social issues" are primarily meant to distract attention away from economic issues (by special interest groups on both sides, admittedly).

The best way to fix most of the problems of concern in social issues, such as crime, abortion, drug use, etc. is to have a thriving economy, especially in terms of equality of opportunity for those in the lower and middle classes.
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 04:26:07 pm »
Ignore

so called "social issues" are primarily meant to distract attention away from economic issues (by special interest groups on both sides, admittedly).

Why can't people just accept that social issues (I have no idea why they're "so called 'social issues'" by the way) mean as much or more to some people? Why do economic issues have to be everyone's top priority? Why are we just "distracted" into believing they are more important?

The soon-to-be-re-elected Kings of Kansas.
Franzl
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 04:36:16 pm »
Ignore

so called "social issues" are primarily meant to distract attention away from economic issues (by special interest groups on both sides, admittedly).

Why can't people just accept that social issues (I have no idea why they're "so called 'social issues'" by the way) mean as much or more to some people? Why do economic issues have to be everyone's top priority? Why are we just "distracted" into believing they are more important?

Well it doesn't include things like marriage equality.....but quite often, social problems are a direct result of economical standing. The two are connected more closely than people like to think.
blagohair.com
unempprof
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 02:03:44 pm »
Ignore

for the vast majority of Oklahomans--and, I would suspect, voters in other red states--these transcendent cultural concerns are more important than universal health care or raising the minimum wage or preserving farm subsidies. Pace Thomas Frank, the voters aren't deluded or uneducated. They simply reject the notion that material concerns are more real than spiritual or cultural ones.

That's exactly what I hate about American politics.  Carson is a dangerous man.

Healthcare is a right, not a moneymaking business - Bernie Sanders

American Exceptionalism: The only industrialized nation in which health care is not a universal right, but gun ownership is.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout