Dave's Redistricting App
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:38:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Dave's Redistricting App
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48]
Author Topic: Dave's Redistricting App  (Read 307344 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1175 on: March 01, 2012, 08:40:17 PM »

Damnit! So I have a test that got cancelled for tomorrow. Thought I would relax with a couple beers and keep working on the 100k California map, but no. Grrr...
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1176 on: March 02, 2012, 02:03:39 AM »

Its working for me now.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1177 on: March 02, 2012, 04:06:06 AM »

It probably crashed because so many people were trying to download New York at the same time.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1178 on: April 28, 2012, 07:41:47 PM »

I am trying to load Kentucky in version 2.1, and the bar won't got beyond 3/4ths completion. I have tried this about 3 or 4 times on differenct days, across two and half weeks and it always stops at 75%. Do I need to clear my cache or something like that?
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1179 on: April 28, 2012, 08:10:04 PM »

I am trying to load Kentucky in version 2.1, and the bar won't got beyond 3/4ths completion. I have tried this about 3 or 4 times on differenct days, across two and half weeks and it always stops at 75%. Do I need to clear my cache or something like that?

I seem to have difficulty loading Kentucky on version 2.1 as well (although I didn't really wait that long, since I have a pretty fast connection). But I have no trouble at all loading it on version 2.2, so you might want to give that a try if you can.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1180 on: April 30, 2012, 04:12:47 PM »

So far, I haven't been able to load 2.2 on my connection.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1181 on: September 07, 2012, 10:50:34 PM »

I made some maps without taking into account partisanship or the VRA.

Alabama....

AL-01 (blue) (Mobile and South Alabama) - R+16 (safe Republican) - 68% white, 26% black.

Bonner should win easily here as always.

AL-02 (green) (Montgomery, East Black Belt) - R+5 (toss-up/leans Republican) - 54% white, 40% black.

If Bobby Bright wanted a political comeback, he should win easy here. Even if not, a Blue Dog style Dem would have a good shot here. Roby gets screwed.

AL-03 (magenta) (West Black Belt) - R+11 (toss-up/leans Republican) - 60% white, 35% black. [new district]

This district is basically tied at the local level, so a good Blue Dog Dem would win here. Also, there is no real Republican incumbent.

AL-04 (red) (Birmingham) - R+2 (toss-up/leans Democrat) - 53% white, 40% black. [new district]

Obama actually won here, so automatically it becomes good for the Dems. Terri Sewell would probably run here, though the Dems would have a better shot with a Blue Dog. Republicans would no doubt get Bacchus to try and run here.

AL-05 (yellow) (Birmingham exurbs, east Alabama) - R+25 (safe Republican) - 76.5% white, 17% black [new district]

Umm...yeah. However, this sets Bacchus and Rogers up for a grudge match, so it wouldn't be a yawner exactly.

AL-06 (teal) (North Alabama) - R+29 (safe Republican) - 86% white [old AL-04]

Even safer Republican than AL-05, though less so on a local level (but still heavily R).

AL-07 (grey) (North Alabama, Huntsville) - R+14 (leans Republican) - 72% white, 18% black [old AL-05]

Solid for Brooks, but still winnable with the right Dem.

In a good year, this could be a 4-3 Dem advantage. In a bad year, however, Republicans could win all districts here.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1182 on: September 08, 2012, 12:10:44 AM »

Over at DKE, roguemapper notes a number of recent upgrades to DRA.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #1183 on: April 14, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »

Sorry to reply to such an old topic. Anybody know of alternative redistricting applications on the internet? DRA doesn't appear to work anymore with new versions of Firefox, Edge, Chrome, or Explorer (really any app). Even tried downloading Opera and still didn't work.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1184 on: April 14, 2017, 04:54:40 PM »

DRA still works with some old versions of Internet Explorer.

Unrelated, but DRA now has Oregon 2008 election data.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1185 on: April 14, 2017, 05:00:34 PM »

It still works on IE 11 at least.  It doesn't work on the latest version of Firefox due to using sliverlight, but if you can get back to the previous version, then it should work.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1186 on: April 15, 2017, 03:28:25 AM »

I don't understand how hard it could possibly be to add 2016 or at least 2012 election data into DRA.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1187 on: April 15, 2017, 07:16:44 AM »

I don't understand how hard it could possibly be to add 2016 or at least 2012 election data into DRA.

Precincts (VTDs) in many states changed after the 2010 Census, so that would require loading all the shapefiles for precincts and matching them up with election data. Some states change precincts after each election cycle. It's a lot of work to keep up. The Atlas doesn't have that available for all states either.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1188 on: April 16, 2017, 05:03:09 PM »

Precincts (VTDs) in many states changed after the 2010 Census, so that would require loading all the shapefiles for precincts and matching them up with election data. Some states change precincts after each election cycle. It's a lot of work to keep up. The Atlas doesn't have that available for all states either.

Haven't multiple places (Decision Desk HQ) already mapped out the 2016 vote by precinct?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1189 on: April 16, 2017, 07:53:42 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2017, 08:28:33 PM by muon2 »

Haven't multiple places (Decision Desk HQ) already mapped out the 2016 vote by precinct?

But that doesn't translate into data in DRA. It's unlikely that anyone would invest that much time loading that much new data into software that is unsupported by the current browsers.

Decision Desk HQ's map is down at present. I'm curious to see how they mapped IL precincts over the last three elections. They change every two years and the state doesn't have a single source for the precinct geographies. They have to collect them county by county, and some counties only keep paper records of the precinct maps. The only time it gets pulled together in a GIS is to prepare for the Census, which will happen over the next two years.

Edit: With a little digging I found that the map is up, it's just that they have a message elsewhere saying that it isn't. Clearly the author put a vast amount of time into it (Dave Leip is cited in the acknowedgements). They even have the changes in IL precincts between 2012 and 2016 that I'm aware of. Presumably this will be a great resource for the 2020 cycle of redistricting apps, but that doesn't help a legacy product like DRA 2.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1190 on: April 17, 2017, 05:46:07 PM »

I remember in late 2008 there was a redistricting game that someone had linked to on the forum and after playing all the scenarios through, I said it would be great if they had something like this to do the real states and maps with. And people thought it would be pointless at the time.

Now we are to a point where DRA 2.5 is now considered a legacy product.

Well, then is there plans for a DRA 3.0 on something other than Silverlight?

Attorney General, LGC Speaker & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1191 on: April 17, 2017, 05:55:33 PM »

^ Probably not until after the next census.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies