Dave's Redistricting App
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:47:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Dave's Redistricting App
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 48
Author Topic: Dave's Redistricting App  (Read 307635 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2009, 05:05:15 AM »

Here's Georgia with 14 and a detail of Atlanta.  I'm not sure how this model estimates minority populations for the "new estimates" but if the numbers are in any way accurate then it makes for some interesting demographic shifts.

GA-1 (blue)Sad Not a huge difference from the current 1st.  Some territory from the current 8th added.
GA-2 (green)Sad Again, not a big change.  The racial make-up shifts slightly with a drop in whites and blacks and an increase in Hispanics and Asians.
GA-3 (deep purple)Sad This district becomes less suburban Atlanta based and more rural.  The black population is nearly halved.
GA-4 (red)Sad A cleaned-up version of the current 4th contained entirely within DeKalb County.  White population decreases by about 5% and is replaced mostly by Hispanics.
GA-5 (yellow)Sad Another "clean-up."  District is mostly unchanged.
GA-6 (blue-green)Sad Loses Cherokee and portions of northern Fulton counties and gains more of Cobb county.  Significant increases to minority population here could make this a competitive district. 
Current 6th: 85.6% White, 7.0% Black, 4.0% Asian, 4.5% Hispanic, 0.2% Native American, 0.1% other
My 6th: 66.6% White, 14.2% Black, 6.0% Asian, 11.4% Hispanic, 0.3% Native American, 1.6% other

GA-7 (gray)Sad Shifting entirely within Gwinnett County creates the most dramatic demographic change on the map creating a majority-minority district and an almost certain Democratic pick-up.
Current 7th: 85.2% White, 7.1% Black, 3.8% Asian, 5.4% Hispanic, 0.3% Native American, 0.1% other
My 7th: 46.7% White, 22.1% Black, 10.4% Asian, 19.1% Hispanic, 0.3% Native American, 1.5% other

GA-8 (lilac)Sad The biggest geographic change from the current map.  Loses its northern and southern "tails" and extends east into territory mostly in the current 12th.  There's also a significant demo shift as well.  Current Rep. Marshall (D) could potentially do better or worse depending on how well he does with Rep. Barrow's (D) former constituents.
Current 8th: 64.0% White, 32.6% Black, 0.8% Asian, 2.8% Hispanic, 0.2% Native American, 1.4% other
My 8th: 57.7% White, 36.3% Black, 1.1% Asian, 3.8% Hispanic, 0.2% Native American, 0.9% other

GA-9 (cyan)Sad Swaps some territory with the current 10th.  Mostly unchanged.
GA-10 (pink)Sad Mostly unchanged.
GA-11 (lime green)Sad This district moves out of Cobb county and into the northern parts of the current 6th causing the percentage of black voters to drop by 20%
GA-12 (light blue)Sad Loses some heavily Republican territory to the new 8th making the new 12th a safe Dem district.
GA-13 (peach)Sad Fairly similar to the current 13th but blacks become a near majority with 49%.
GA-14 (bronze)Sad This new district takes in parts of the current 3rd and 8th to the south and west and parts of the current 7th and 10th to the north and east.  This could be a swing district with a Republican lean.
Demographics: 65.1% White, 26.0% Black, 2.0% Asian, 5.5% Hispanic, 0.2% Native American, 1.2% other
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2009, 08:32:24 AM »

Don't worry about where IA congressmen live. IA doesn't use incumbent residences as a factor. Because IA is easy, you should try to get the districts to within about 100 people. Last time the deviations were +37, -24, +40, +40, and -94 from the ideal population, I assume that the mapmakers will try for the same goal next time.

The legislature actually rejected the first plan because its deviation was too large (I think around 150).  I always figured they just didn't like what the computer drew, but had to have a rationale for rejecting the map.

Apparently the idea that a computer drew the map is somewhat of a myth. I spoke to someone who was involved, and learned that the IA maps were actually drawn by hand on paper. The computer was used to check variances for a court challenge.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2009, 11:26:31 AM »

Minnesota with seven districts:
CD-01 - yellow (Walz and Kline put in same district)
CD-02 - red (Paulsen)

What's the population differential between the suburban Dakota parts of CD-01 and the rural counties of CD-02? What was the thinking behind stretching CD-01 up to the inner suburbs?

I was trying to compact CD-01 and get rid of some of the more Republican counties. I don't understand your other question.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2009, 01:15:20 PM »

Georgia 13 districts based on 2000 census.

Average deviation 91, Standard deviation 111.
Atlanta 6 (average 57, sd 68)
Outstate 7 (average 116, sd 139)

Atlanta 6 = 5.9997/13 of population.  Outstate is 7 block groups away from matching county boundaries.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2009, 03:02:38 PM »

Here's the map of Ohio I made.  All districts are have a deviation from the ideal population of less than 1000.  I used the new estimates for population and made 16 districts since Ohio is projected to lose 2 after the next census.

Blue: A safer district for Dreihaus-D (OH-1)
Dark Green: Schmidt-R (OH-2), Jordan-R (OH-4), and Austria-R (OH-7) are pitted against each other.  Jordan would likely move to represent the red district.  Austria defeats the reviled Schmidt in the primary
Magenta: Turner-R (OH-3) gets a slightly less friendly district and could face a stiffer challenge.
Red: As I mentioned, Jordan probably moves into this open seat.
Yellow: An open seat which Latta-R (OH-5) may move in on.  This district is more Dem friendly than the current OH-5 but is probably still around R+5 or more.
Blue-Green: This is an open seat and would probably be hotly contested despite the Republican lean.  Wilson-D (OH-6) may move in here giving the Dems a semi-incumbent advantage.
Gray: Boccieri-D (OH-16) Gets a much safer district and cruises to re-election.
Purple: Boner Boehner remains safe.
Cyan: Kaptur-D (OH-9) faces off against Latta-R (OH-5) in a contest she'd almost certainly win.  As mentioned earlier, Latta will likely move to the yellow district.
Pink: I don't think I've take the elf Kucinich out of this district.  Safe Dem regardless.
Yellow-Green: Fudge-D (OH-11) is safe but the district drops below 50% black.
Lilac: Tiberi-R (OH-12) trades most of his black constituents for suburban whites and becomes considerably safer.
Peach: Sutton-D (OH-13) sees a dramatic change in her district but remains safe
Bronze: LaTourette-R (OH-14) faces off against Ryan-D (OH-17) in what will surely be the most contested race in the state.  However, the district has a distinct Democratic tilt to it which will probably put Ryan over the top.
Orange:: I think Kilroy-D (OH-15) is still in this district and it becomes much easier for her to hold.
Neon Green: This district pits Space-D (OH-18) against Wilson-D (OH-6) but Wilson may move.  This district is much more Dem friendly than Space's current district and he should have little trouble holding it even though it probably leans Rep.

How did you get yours up here?  I've tried everything.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2009, 04:49:50 PM »

Well, fellas, I had a pretty decent map, but its either not saving mine to my computer, or... I don't even have an alternative.  That could have been a good two hours I just wasted, there.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2009, 04:52:05 PM »

Well, fellas, I had a pretty decent map, but its either not saving mine to my computer, or... I don't even have an alternative.  That could have been a good two hours I just wasted, there.

You have to type in a file name in the box on the left-hand side and select "save as". Your map will only come back up once you select the state it's for when you open the program. Really, this program is a perfect example of how not to design a user interface.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2009, 04:55:24 PM »

You have to type in a file name in the box on the left-hand side and select "save as". Your map will only come back up once you select the state it's for when you open the program. Really, this program is a perfect example of how not to design a user interface.

To save it to my computer from the internet... I have to save it there, and then reopen it there?  I really must be missing something.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2009, 05:00:02 PM »

If you clicked on the Save under the File menu it probably saved it.  It is to an application data area.  When you restart the application, you have to first select the State and then after it loads all the base data, you can use the File menu to open up your plan.  The Open option does not appear until you have loaded up the data for a State.

Alternatively, search for a file with "drf.xml" in its name and created in the past few days.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »

If you clicked on the Save under the File menu it probably saved it.  It is to an application data area.  When you restart the application, you have to first select the State and then after it loads all the base data, you can use the File menu to open up your plan.  The Open option does not appear until you have loaded up the data for a State.

Alternatively, search for a file with "drf.xml" in its name and created in the past few days.

Okay, well I did all of that.  I still can' find the file on my computer... which is odd, because I am going to assume it must have saved it.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2009, 05:05:32 PM »

I have recent census tract estimates from the state government that would be much more accurate than their method of applying Census estimates. Their estimates method might work in some states, but my county alone has almost 2 million people and some parts have grown way faster than others, so it's not very helpful. I wish there were a way I could use the state tract estimates instead... Sad
Send an e-mail to Dave Bradlee.  He appears to be receptive to assistance to make his program better.  Since block groups nest within census tracts, it should be relatively easy to adjust the data for your estimates, especially if you are willing to do the grunt work.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2009, 05:16:28 PM »

I am searching my entire C Drive and it is coming up with absolutely nothing.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2009, 05:28:25 PM »

Here's a redo of Indiana.  I'm not really sure why their districts were so funky looking in the first place.
You need to draw a 10-district plan first.

Then choose a district in the middle of the state to dismantle, and it can't include the Marion County seat.  To the extent possible, add 11% of the dismantled district to each of the 9 remaining districts.  If you could do this, the old representative won't be able to find enough of his old district available to challenge anyone.

If that isn't possible, try to spread the additions from among several adjoining districts (eg for the Gary district, add 5% going east and 6% going south).  But be careful that you don't disrupt the other districts too much.

Alternatively, combine two districts in the middle of the state in a way that the incumbents can't really avoid a primary battle and the distribute the rest of the combined districts as above.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2009, 05:30:50 PM »

Is there, perhaps, another way I can do this, since either I am missing a step in this process that everyone else is hitting, or as usual, Vista sucks?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »

I mean, if I even has a "Documents and Settings" folder, that might help.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2009, 05:32:17 PM »

Okay, well I did all of that.  I still can' find the file on my computer... which is odd, because I am going to assume it must have saved it.

You might not have searched your computer in the right place.  You might have to search the whole C drive or look here.

*  On Windows XP files are saved in:
      C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Silverlight\is\<junkdir1>\<junkdir2>\1\s\<junkdir3>\f\DavesRedistrictingFiles\<state>
* On Windows Vista files are saved in:
      C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\Silverlight\is\<junkdir1>\<junkdir2>\1\s\<junkdir3>\f\DavesRedistrictingFiles\<state>
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2009, 05:35:34 PM »

You might not have searched your computer in the right place.  You might have to search the whole C drive or look here.

*  On Windows XP files are saved in:
      C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Silverlight\is\<junkdir1>\<junkdir2>\1\s\<junkdir3>\f\DavesRedistrictingFiles\<state>
      C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\Silverlight\is\<junkdir1>\<junkdir2>\1\s\<junkdir3>\f\DavesRedistrictingFiles\<state>

Yeah, I just found that, and went to "Users"... oh, but what is this... I don't have an AppData Folder!
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2009, 05:44:43 PM »

See if you can find the "Silverlight" directory.

When you were drawing the plan, did you do a Save As or a Save?  You might also have to actually type a file name in the box up by the File menu.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2009, 05:51:58 PM »

When you were drawing the plan, did you do a Save As or a Save?  You might also have to actually type a file name in the box up by the File menu.

As I said, I don't have an AppData.

I searched for Silverlight and according to my computer it doesn't exist.  I honeslt don't know what the Hell is going on.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2009, 05:54:57 PM »

I get this sort of stuff at my job all the time.

Make sure you have it set up to show hidden files and folders.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2009, 06:07:44 PM »

I get this sort of stuff at my job all the time.

Make sure you have it set up to show hidden files and folders.

Thank you.  That seems to have done it.

Remember the good old days when you had the ability to see, access, and edit all your files without jumping through hoops?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2009, 06:24:04 PM »

Okay, I figured it out.  Thanks everyone, especially BRTD since there is no way I would have thought of that.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2009, 06:39:40 PM »

Dammit... was anyone else having this problem where it was cutting off the bottom, or other area of your map, after you converted it to JPG?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2009, 07:11:03 PM »

Dammit... was anyone else having this problem where it was cutting off the bottom, or other area of your map, after you converted it to JPG?
Did you save a "state map" eg click the check box?  Or did you try to show the whole plan and then create that as an "area map"?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2009, 07:51:15 PM »

Did you save a "state map" eg click the check box?  Or did you try to show the whole plan and then create that as an "area map"?

No, its a state map.  The entire map shows up in the "open map" screen, and continue to stay intact until I go to open it up after I "Save Map as JPG" after which the bottom is cut off, for some reason.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies