OSAMA CAUGHT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:00:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  OSAMA CAUGHT
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: OSAMA CAUGHT  (Read 18501 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 29, 2004, 07:16:13 PM »

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_29-2-2004_pg1_7

"It went on to claim that US officials were keeping news of the arrest secret and were likely to announce it later in the year — in order to help US President George Bushh’s re-election chances in November polls, AFP added. “The capture of the Al Qaeda leader was made some time ago, but President Bush is intending to announce it at the time of the American presidential election,” the report claimed."
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 07:38:28 PM »

"It went on to claim that US officials were keeping news of the arrest secret and were likely to announce it later in the year — in order to help US President George Bushh’s re-election chances in November polls, AFP added. “The capture of the Al Qaeda leader was made some time ago, but President Bush is intending to announce it at the time of the American presidential election,” the report claimed."

Whether bin Laden is captured or not is probably the most important symbolic issue in the war on terror, and his capture the biggest symbolic victory, but capture or no capture, doesn't change the issues involved.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 12:29:03 PM »

It would be kind of funny if they caught him and it came out that they kept it a secret, since it could then wind up HURTING Bush... Cheesy

Not likely though... Sad
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 12:30:58 PM »

Cool!  I do have a feeling he'll be captured, before the election..  just hope its about a week or two before, and not several months before.  The ungrateful public would have time to start whining about their jobs again.
California Dreamer

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 12:47:11 PM »

Capturing bin Laden is no guarantee for a long term bounce for Bush.

Firstly it is a bit late...he should have been caught 2 years ago at Tora Bora
Secondly even if the voters think Bush a 'war victor' that doesnt translate into votes (just ask his Dad and Winston Churchill)
Thirdly...its still the economy stupid

Ironically....I think the thing that would assure a Bush reelection would be another major terrorist attack. This would confirm that the war on terror is still ongoing, and it would make people wary of making any big change.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 12:49:33 PM »

Secondly even if the voters think Bush a 'war victor' that doesnt translate into votes (just ask his Dad and Winston Churchill)

Ironically....I think the thing that would assure a Bush reelection would be another major terrorist attack. This would confirm that the war on terror is still ongoing, and it would make people wary of making any big change.

Thanks, I agree with that.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 12:49:35 PM »

Yeah, like I said, Osama would have to be caught a week or two before the election, not months before.  And yes another terrorist attack would help as well.  Btw, the economy is great - what you mean is its 'jobs'.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 12:51:34 PM »

Yeah, like I said, Osama would have to be caught a week or two before the election, not months before.  And yes another terrorist attack would help as well.  Btw, the economy is great - what you mean is its 'jobs'.

I don't know about great...it's recovering from a dip, and the internet ought to give us some growth by now.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 01:32:32 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2004, 01:53:54 PM by jmfcst »

I hear Elvis is guarding him.
NHPolitico

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 10:02:17 PM »

Can we use this as a permanent thread for posting info on the subject and the political implications?

I do think that capturing OBL will provide only a fleeting boost to Bush's re-election bid, as ridiculous as that really is.

Here's something interesting...

The hunt is being boosted by a computer program developed in Iraq to locate 'high value human targets'. The program charts links between thousands of people associated with a fugitive, allowing intelligence officers to detect key individuals who might have vital information.

I think the announced involvement of the Special Air Services is a good sign, too.  I think they are more about action than discovery. The places we think he is, may not be really where he is, but I think the SAS is there to find out, not come up with the places to start looking.
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2004, 12:12:19 AM »

I hear Elvis is guarding him.

And Bigfoot is Elvis's body guard.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2004, 05:17:21 PM »

Remember...you heard it here first!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2004, 05:19:32 PM »

The time to capture him is during the Democratic convention.  It looks less suspicious and castrates John Kerry during his shining moment.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2004, 05:22:07 PM »

The time to capture him is during the Democratic convention.  It looks less suspicious and castrates John Kerry during his shining moment.

October, right before one of the debates.  Puts a virtual lock on the election.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2004, 05:28:14 PM »

It won't do crap like it did in Spain.  People will be on to his antics and know this!  In fact it will hurt Bush because we realize how much of a snake he his.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2004, 05:34:10 PM »

It won't do crap like it did in Spain.  People will be on to his antics and know this!  In fact it will hurt Bush because we realize how much of a snake he his.

This isn't the same thing  as a terrorist attack, this is a symbolic success in the War on Terror.  Even if it leaks that Bush kept him in custody for a few months in secret, he can say it was for military purposes (draw out the other terrorists or something) and get away with it.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2004, 07:04:36 PM »

Guys.  Bush isn't going to hide the capture of Osama and then bring him out at some politically oportune time.  You guys are stating to get sucked in by all this conspiritorial mumbo jumbo.  Bush couldn't pull off something like that if he wanted to.

If OBL was within our reach we would have gotten him by now.  We may never get the guy and I doubt seriously if we'd ever get him alive.

Relax.  No October surprise.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2004, 07:12:11 PM »

I don't believe Bush will "capture" Osama like that either, but I'm just speculating on the best way to conduct such a conspiracy.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2004, 07:16:55 PM »

I still suspect that he's dead...a mutilated corpse somewhere, probably in Afghanistan... Tongue

Anyway, he has to focus so much on hiding that he's no longer a threat.

I agree with Agcat though, hiding his capture like that would just be dumb...too much of a risk, too little pay-off.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2004, 09:04:16 PM »

Just remember in October that I unveiled it back in March.  And when Bush wins in November because of the falsification, remember, I unveiled it back in March,
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2004, 09:05:22 PM »

Just remember in October that I unveiled it back in March.  And when Bush wins in November because of the falsification, remember, I unveiled it back in March,

I don't think we'll have to because you'll almost certainly remind us, hah.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2004, 09:27:51 PM »

I smell a bet.. Wink
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2004, 09:46:37 PM »

Actually, if you want a plausible conspiracy, it's that Osama is dead, but the neo-cons had the body dumped in the Indian Ocean so it could never be found and their war on libertyterror could continue forever and forever on the pretext of going after Osama.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2004, 09:51:08 PM »

Damn.  I knew we couldn't keep it a secret.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2004, 01:43:57 AM »

I wouldn't put it past the adminstration to do something llike this  (their were reports after 3 years of not saying anything to the Pakistani's that the admin was finally putting orpressure on them to catch him before the election or at best during the Dem convention).  Though I think a lot of it is skeptical at best.

My opinon guys such as Bush, Cheney, Ashcroft could be capable of pulling off something like that, but other members of the staff such as Powell would have no part of it and break the silence.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies