State by State Favorites: West Virginia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:40:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  State by State Favorites: West Virginia
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Have fun...
Arch Moore, Jr. (R)

Jennings Randolph (D)

Shelley Moore Capito (R)

Joe Manchin (D)

Robert Mollohan (D)

Hulett C. Smith (D)

Robert Byrd (D)

Alan Mollohan (D)

Gaston Caperton (D)

Jay Rockefeller (D)

Cecil Underwood (R)

Harley O. Staggers (D)

Bob Wise (D)

Cyrus Vance (D)

John M. Slack (D)

Ken Hechler (D)

William Wallace Barron (D)

Nick Rahall (D)

Other (Please Specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: State by State Favorites: West Virginia  (Read 1080 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2009, 08:32:41 AM »

Lotta Dems here...
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 08:34:02 AM »

Shelley Moore Capito (R)

Only One know about
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:07:46 AM »

Well, that was kind of the point but okay.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 09:45:38 AM »

NOTA.......damn and I was born there too......
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:47:35 AM »

NOTA.......damn and I was born there too......

Criminy, GM!  You should have used the OTHER option to say...  "GM 3"
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 01:28:33 PM »

Byrd! Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 01:37:01 PM »

Roll Eyes
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 03:36:13 PM »

Coburn In 2012

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 03:39:19 PM »

Byrd is king of pork.  No thanks.  The only good thing I have ever heard him say was on school prayer and why he supports it.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 06:08:47 PM »

Jay Rockefeller, I guess, but in general, bleah.

I have respect for Byrd's voluminous knowledge of the Senate's history and procedures, but he's still kind of creepy. And doesn't know when to quit.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 06:40:46 PM »

Jay Rockefeller, I guess, but in general, bleah.

I have respect for Byrd's voluminous knowledge of the Senate's history and procedures, but he's still kind of creepy. And doesn't know when to quit.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, no winners out of this state.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 06:53:10 PM »

Ironically, out the 2 dem representatives in this state of pro-life, while the one rep is pro-choice.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 01:09:34 AM »

As far as I can tell, they're all deadwood.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 04:15:59 AM »

Jay Rockefeller
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 07:50:16 AM »

I like Rockefeller. Smiley
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 08:17:17 AM »

Read up on Caperton.  It seems like he accomplished a quite a bit.  I knew nothing about him before this series started (which is one reason I wanted to do it).  Anyway...I came away favorably impressed.

Byrd is my least favorite Democrat.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 08:36:26 AM »

How can anyone dislike Byrd? I mean sure....I don't like his school prayer junk either....and his earmarks are quite excessive....but there's nobody in the Senate that I respect more as a person than Robert Byrd.

JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 09:13:11 AM »

How can anyone dislike Byrd? I mean sure....I don't like his school prayer junk either....and his earmarks are quite excessive....but there's nobody in the Senate that I respect more as a person than Robert Byrd.

Well Franzl, the fact that you respect him definitely gives me pause.  You're clearly not a Democrat who likes him just because he has a D next to his name...and you're not a Republican who likes the "old school" Robert Byrd.

My objections to him are as follows, but I stand to be corrected...

1.  His speech on school prayer was nauseating.  He sounded more in favor of mandatory Christian prayer than a voluntary, non-sectarian moment of silence.  He also rambled on in that speech about the "good old days", "old time religion" and so on.  That sort of nattering makes me think of people who remark about the good old days when children got whippings, women stayed in the kitchen and de colored folk knowed their place.  I know he didn't say any of that but it was evocative.  That could be on me, of course...

2.  The pork issue really bothers me.  If I am going to attack Senator Stevens for his bridge to nowhere, I need to be consistent and attack Democrats who spend on ridiculous projects.  Now, I am a huge fan of government spending but I want to see money spent on things that make sense.  I am concerned that Byrd has set a pattern of grabbing all he can -- regardless of where the money is spent.  I do concede happily that Appalachia in West Virginia is better off than in eastern Kentucky...in no small part due to Byrd's intercession.

3.   I know it's ancient history, but the Klan thing still bugs me.  I realize Byrd has left that behind and anyone can change.  (I am a good example of that.)  But it gives Republicans fodder.

And finally, while I am not a fan of term limits, I do think there comes a point when one is so feeble, you have to question their ability to serve their constituents effectively.  Byrd's speeches are really frightfully reminiscent of my late father's addled, rambling reminiscences...the man can't have many more years left.  I'd like to see him spend a few of those years fly fishing or sitting in the sun.  That's just personal.

But anyway...Byrd could certainly be worse.  And on the whole, he's done very well for his state.  But I think it's time to go.  Just my 2 cents.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 10:31:34 AM »

Well Franzl, the fact that you respect him definitely gives me pause.  You're clearly not a Democrat who likes him just because he has a D next to his name...and you're not a Republican who likes the "old school" Robert Byrd.

My objections to him are as follows, but I stand to be corrected...

1.  His speech on school prayer was nauseating.  He sounded more in favor of mandatory Christian prayer than a voluntary, non-sectarian moment of silence.  He also rambled on in that speech about the "good old days", "old time religion" and so on.  That sort of nattering makes me think of people who remark about the good old days when children got whippings, women stayed in the kitchen and de colored folk knowed their place.  I know he didn't say any of that but it was evocative.  That could be on me, of course...

2.  The pork issue really bothers me.  If I am going to attack Senator Stevens for his bridge to nowhere, I need to be consistent and attack Democrats who spend on ridiculous projects.  Now, I am a huge fan of government spending but I want to see money spent on things that make sense.  I am concerned that Byrd has set a pattern of grabbing all he can -- regardless of where the money is spent.  I do concede happily that Appalachia in West Virginia is better off than in eastern Kentucky...in no small part due to Byrd's intercession.

3.   I know it's ancient history, but the Klan thing still bugs me.  I realize Byrd has left that behind and anyone can change.  (I am a good example of that.)  But it gives Republicans fodder.

And finally, while I am not a fan of term limits, I do think there comes a point when one is so feeble, you have to question their ability to serve their constituents effectively.  Byrd's speeches are really frightfully reminiscent of my late father's addled, rambling reminiscences...the man can't have many more years left.  I'd like to see him spend a few of those years fly fishing or sitting in the sun.  That's just personal.

But anyway...Byrd could certainly be worse.  And on the whole, he's done very well for his state.  But I think it's time to go.  Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I understand those concerns....they're legitimate....and I share them Wink

Byrd for me is an amazing example of the ability to change. I know some people think differently....but I truly believe that Byrd is a 100% changed person, judging by some of the comments I've seen from him....and indeed from others. Obama writes in one book of his first encounter with Byrd.

Add to that his truly encyclopedic knowledge of Senate rules and procedure.....his amazing early opposition to the Iraq War (he has stated that his vote against authorization was the vote in his career that he was most proud of)....and his genuineness, that may be what I value more than anything. I guess I could just be a naive hack....but I admire his deeply held convictions....even concerning things that I disagree with, like school prayer and his opposition to gay marriage. As I once read....he claims he needs a Bible and the Constitution, and that's enough to help him make every decision.

Now that doesn't mean that he's my "favorite" senator politically....of course not. I regard Appalachian populism quite lowly, personally, and I certainly agree that Byrd is kind of in over his head these days with his age and health problems.

I dunno....just someone I tend to look up to Smiley
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 09:58:02 PM »

Cecil Underwood, and Shelley Moore Capito.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies