State by State Favorites: South Carolina
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:59:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  State by State Favorites: South Carolina
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Here you go...
Strom Thurmond  (D), (R)

Carroll Campbell Jr. (R)

James Clyburn (D)

Robert E. McNair (D)

Bob Inglis (R)

Earnest Fritz Holings (D)

Mark Sanford (R)

W.J. Byron Dorn (D)

John C. West (D)

Jim DeMint (R)

James B. Edwards (R)

Olin D. Johnston (D)

Richard W. Riley (D)

Floyd Spence (R)

David Beasley (R)

Lindsey Graham (R)

John Spratt (D)

James H. Hodges (D)

Henry E. Brown (R)

Joe Wilson (R)

Butler Derrick (D)

J. Gresham Barrett (R)

Robin Tallon (D)

John L. McMillan (D)

Mendel Rivers (D)

Other (Please Specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: State by State Favorites: South Carolina  (Read 2047 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2009, 09:08:40 AM »

Gonna be a tough one for me, I think...
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:07:34 AM »

Actually, I found that the landslide of demagougery and both soft and hard racism a blessing in helping me narrow down my choices.

Richard Riley, a fine governor, and better Secretary of Education.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 11:30:46 AM »

I voted other because DeMint and lindesy Graham both are so cool. Also Sanford rocks.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 12:18:06 PM »

Ernest 'Fritz' Hollings.  Yeah, not saying much there.

Vile Scum:  Jim DeMint, Strom Thurmond
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 03:18:25 PM »

Thurmond (normal)
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 03:57:14 PM »

Daniel Henry Chamberlain
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 04:33:09 PM »

Ernest “Fritz” Hollings

It's people like Sojourner who force me to have to spell my name out when I give it.  (Tho to fair, the real blame lies with those who do spell it with an “a”.)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 04:38:09 PM »

Fritz Hollings.
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 04:39:52 PM »

Thank you for pointing out that I am not the only one with spelling problems.  JSJ is truly awful but no one says anything because he is one of the "good guys"  (that is pc I mean LOL)'

As to my pick it is hard.  I go with Demint because he is so pro family and pro life.  But Strom Thurmond (not racist), Mark Sanford, Lindsey Grahm and Floyd spence are good too.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 04:43:12 PM »

Thank you for pointing out that I am not the only one with spelling problems.  JSJ is truly awful but no one says anything because he is one of the "good guys"  (that is pc I mean LOL)'

As to my pick it is hard.  I go with Demint because he is so pro family and pro life.  But Strom Thurmond (not racist), Mark Sanford, Lindsey Grahm and Floyd spence are good too.

Thurmond??   WTF is wrong with you?
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 04:43:42 PM »

I picked Demint
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »

I picked Demint

I know and he is a sack of crap as well.  But the fact that you like someone as horrid as the racist scumbag Thurmond is pathetic.
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 04:57:47 PM »

I picked Demint

I know and he is a sack of crap as well.  But the fact that you like someone as horrid as the racist scumbag Thurmond is pathetic.

Liberals sure love to engage in hand wringing and throwing around the R word.

Thurmond was actually very PRO black.  He wanted the blacks to have everything just the same as white people.  Seperate but EQUAL.  liberals forget the EQUAL part of that policy and just emphasize the seperate. 

Thurmond was a great American as was Jessie Helms and most of the Dixie crats who did not sell out.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 05:00:39 PM »

Thank you for pointing out that I am not the only one with spelling problems.  JSJ is truly awful but no one says anything because he is one of the "good guys"  (that is pc I mean LOL)'

As to my pick it is hard.  I go with Demint because he is so pro family and pro life.  But Strom Thurmond (not racist), Mark Sanford, Lindsey Grahm and Floyd spence are good too.

I picked Demint

Thurmond was actually very PRO black.  He wanted the blacks to have everything just the same as white people.  Seperate but EQUAL.  liberals forget the EQUAL part of that policy and just emphasize the seperate. 

Thurmond was a great American as was Jessie Helms and most of the Dixie crats who did not sell out.

wtf?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 05:06:37 PM »

I picked Demint

1.  First off Separate but Equal is asinine and disgusting.

2.  Segregation was never separate but equal.  It was separate, but it sure as hell was unequal.

3.  Thurmond was a pure and simple racist, "Segregation Now, Segregation Forever" utterly disgusting and horrendous.

4.  This is pure proof that you are a racist sack of garbage.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 05:32:18 PM »

Coburn in 2012 is right!
Thurmond was so pro-black, that he banged a black woman and had an ilegitimate son with her.

What more should he do to show his love for the blacks, you hypocritic liberals?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 05:47:46 PM »

Hollings, but in general, meh.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 08:10:23 PM »

By the standards of the American South in 1948, Thurmond was actually considered something of a progressive.  There were certainly those more rabid than him on the issue.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 08:56:08 PM »

You mean the Dixiecrats that became Republicans?
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 03:12:35 PM »

I picked Demint

ARE YOU CRAZYYYYY?Huh

WTF?

How could you support segregation  ? How are you not racist?

Everyone has a right to be with other people of different skin.  I may be a republican but I'm very pro-civil rights.

If you believe that separating people by skin is right then you should be separated from society
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 03:39:10 PM »

I picked Demint

ARE YOU CRAZYYYYY?Huh

WTF?

How could you support segregation  ? How are you not racist?

Everyone has a right to be with other people of different skin.  I may be a republican but I'm very pro-civil rights.

If you believe that separating people by skin is right then you should be separated from society

And the Republican Party has a proud Civil Rights history, too.  At least until a bunch of bigoted Democrats switched.  There's a reason Republicans couldn't get elected down South for over a hundred years.  And it's not economic populism or policy positions on national defense...
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 03:42:50 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2009, 05:01:55 PM by Ringorules »

Quite right- while folks like Javits were on board with civil rights from the start, it was the crucial votes by even some rather conservative Republicans like Karl Mundt, which gave the civil rights bill the numbers they needed to overcome the Dixiecrat fillibusters.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 03:53:14 PM »

Except for the fact that Separate but Equal wasn't equal.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 11:04:28 AM »

Quite right- while folks like Javits were on board with civil rights from the start, it was the crucial votes by even some rather conservative Republicans like Karl Mundt, which gave the civil rights birth the numbers they needed to overcome the Dixiecrat fillibusters.

Indeed, Everett Dirksen was another one I believe. All but 3 Republicans in the Senate voted for the Civil Rights act.

As for the poll I picked DeMint, I also like Sanford, and Bob Inglis.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 04:09:38 PM »

Quite right- while folks like Javits were on board with civil rights from the start, it was the crucial votes by even some rather conservative Republicans like Karl Mundt, which gave the civil rights birth the numbers they needed to overcome the Dixiecrat fillibusters.

Indeed, Everett Dirksen was another one I believe. All but 3 Republicans in the Senate voted for the Civil Rights act.

As for the poll I picked DeMint, I also like Sanford, and Bob Inglis.

Talk about poor timing, I was actually considering voting for him over DeMint.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies