Fed-Run Public Health Plan is Now Expendable
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:13:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Fed-Run Public Health Plan is Now Expendable
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fed-Run Public Health Plan is Now Expendable  (Read 1273 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2009, 09:23:12 PM »
« edited: June 23, 2009, 08:51:49 PM by Fading Frodo »

Health-Care Bills Begin to Crystallize

By NAFTALI BENDAVID and JANET ADAMY

WASHINGTON -- House leaders outlined a health-care overhaul plan that would create a national health-insurance "exchange" for consumers and include a government-run plan as one option, while Sen. Edward Kennedy introduced a similar bill in the Senate.

The draft House plan, presented to House Democrats at a meeting Tuesday, would require almost all Americans to have health insurance and provide subsidies to those with annual incomes as high as four times the poverty level. People without insurance could find a plan on an insurance exchange that would be set up by the government.

Pointed questions came both from lawmakers favoring a single, government-run plan, as well as those uncomfortable with any public option. Opposition from the liberal and the moderate wings of the Democratic Party doesn't appear strong enough to derail the plan in the House.

"We have to recognize that there are going to be compromises," said Rep. Henry Waxman (D., Calif.), chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

Mr. Kennedy's 615-page bill proposes many of the same changes as in the House version. It would require individuals to carry health insurance except for those who couldn't afford it, and would establish federal or state "health benefit gateways" to allow Americans to buy it. Mr. Kennedy had earlier called for a new public insurance plan and a requirement that employers help pay for coverage, and while they are mentioned in the bill, there are few details, suggesting those policies are still being negotiated.

The Massachusetts Democrat's bill would provide subsidies for buying health insurance to families with annual incomes as high as five times the poverty level, a slightly more generous benefit than the one outlined in the House. Aid would be provided on a sliding scale, but it could cover more than half of all Americans.

House leaders said they planned to release a formal copy of their bill next week, with final wording completed in July. They hope to work out differences with the Senate over its version of a health bill in September and pass a final product in October.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:38:44 PM »

Business continues to burrow itself in. This bill is garbage.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 11:14:07 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2009, 11:29:55 PM by Senator PiT »

Sounds far superior to the alternative (which is single-payer for clarification).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 11:24:32 PM »

The House outline is pretty good, though it's still understandably vague. We're heading in the right direction though.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 11:32:18 PM »

Sounds far superior to the alternative (which is single-payer for clarification).

That's the goal in the long term.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 01:47:48 AM »

No the end goal is communism. Duh.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 03:37:39 AM »

In the long run we're all dead.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 08:30:45 AM »

The American Medical Association has come out in opposition to any government-run public insurance plan.
Stampever
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 10:08:46 AM »

I will take a co-op over Nationalized healthcare anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 10:59:17 AM »

Fuck them.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 11:18:14 AM »

Apparently the idea that greater choice of health care options is a good thing only applies to private health care.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 12:17:59 PM »

Yeah, who needs people that actually know what they are talking bout?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 12:31:35 PM »

Apparently the idea that greater choice of health care options is a good thing only applies to private health care.

But will you have choice under a government option? Businesses will say, "Oh great, now we don't have to give our employees health insurance," and stop providing it. Because these bills don't address the roots of the problem, costs will continue to rise, thus forcing all poor and most middle class citizens into the public plan. I think most people would be better off if we just kept the current system of your employer providing health insurance.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 09:45:55 PM »

But will you have choice under a government option? Businesses will say, "Oh great, now we don't have to give our employees health insurance," and stop providing it. Because these bills don't address the roots of the problem, costs will continue to rise, thus forcing all poor and most middle class citizens into the public plan. I think most people would be better off if we just kept the current system of your employer providing health insurance.

That's exactly the point. Obama knows that if he openly admits he wants socialized healthcare his support and poll numbers will plummet massively.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 09:50:40 PM »

Why should businesses be the ones providing it in the first place? Your employer doesn't provide your auto or homeowners' insurance. There's plenty of non-employer private plans available that will remain available.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 10:35:10 PM »

Why should businesses be the ones providing it in the first place? Your employer doesn't provide your auto or homeowners' insurance. There's plenty of non-employer private plans available that will remain available.

Yes, they should. Private entities are much better, and who better than your own company?

Benefits from companies are just like pay.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 10:13:49 PM »

I am sure you all have heard of how Tom Daschle, Bob Dole, and Howard Baker have effectively called on President Obama to drop his call for a government-run public plan to compete against private health insurance companies, and settle for something less, like a co-op as Sen. Kent Conrad (D -ND) has advocated. 

What do you all think?  Would you still support a health care bill with a co-op as opposed to a fed-run public plan?   

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 10:22:08 PM »

Now is not the time to be high minded, and stick to our ideals.  I will support the best plan that can get 60 votes in the Senate, and 218 in the House.  If that means co-op, then so be it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 10:23:37 PM »

I am sure you all have heard of how Tom Daschle, Bob Dole, and Howard Baker have effectively called on President Obama to drop his call for a government-run public plan to compete against private health insurance companies, and settle for something less, like a co-op as Sen. Kent Conrad (D -ND) has advocated. 

What do you all think?  Would you still support a health care bill with a co-op as opposed to a fed-run public plan?   

No, I think it's time to join the rest of the developed western democracies and implement true universal healthcare, not nibbling that won't solve the problem.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 06:42:04 AM »

The AMA is not a public health advocacy group, it is a lobbying group.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 09:26:09 AM »

Bottom-line to health care reform is optimum coverage at minimal cost - and I'd support any plan whether public or co-operative that achieves that. Healthcare reform is a must. Nevermind any of that wait until the economy improves posturing - because, right now, spiralling health care costs are a burden which may very well be impeding economic recovery

From the presidential campaign, I seem to recall that Obama's plan which did cost more, admittedly, than McCain's but, IIRC, in terms of actually expanding coverage was, by far, of better value Smiley

Furthermore, comprehensive healthcare reform should mean a comprehensive review of existing programs. There is going to have to be offsets somewhere

As for a public plan, there is no reason why it cannot compete with private plans if the end result of that is expanding Smiley coverage and driving costs down Smiley - but I wouldn't be insisting on it come hell or high water. And I'd certainly find the "bi-partisan" co-operative plan, from an ideological perspective, most appealing

The one area, however, I wouldn't be comfortable with is taxing healthcare benefits - and every effort should be made to avoid that
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 02:30:07 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2009, 04:31:21 PM by Mint »

The one area, however, I wouldn't be comfortable with is taxing healthcare benefits - and every effort should be made to avoid that

So you oppose what's going to probably happen then. Honestly, that they could even propose this without Obama shooting them down immediately just shows what an utter joke this president is and how even more useless this congress is. I hope all of the losers involved in this go down in flames in a year or three.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 02:32:46 PM »

If McDonnell and Christie both win, and health care blows up in the Dems face, the parallels to 1993-1994 are pretty scary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies