Hispanic Population Growth
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:12:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Hispanic Population Growth
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hispanic Population Growth  (Read 1780 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2009, 03:19:28 PM »

I want to expand a bit on something Lunar said in another thread.  I'd like to accept as fact that the nation's Latino population is growing.  My question is...

what are the projections for the Hispanic populations of Texas and Arizona by 2012?  Will there be enough of them in the Obama camp (of voting age) to bring him closer?  I expect he has a 50-50 chance already in Arizona but I can't imagine him winning Texas under any circumstance.  (So please...no flames saying, "OMG JS picked Texas for Obama!")

What interests me almost as much as a candidate winning or losing a state is how and when and why the might narrow the gap.

In the case of these states, are Hispanics a key consideration or is it really too soon to look in that direction?

Could anyone offer some additional insight?
ej2mm15
electoraljew2
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 04:41:38 PM »

It really depends on his approval rating.And  who wins the republicans. For example, Palin is ahead of Obama with latino
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 05:29:39 PM »

It really depends on his approval rating.And  who wins the republicans. For example, Palin is ahead of Obama with latino
Uh... sure. Provide a source, please.
ej2mm15
electoraljew2
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 06:45:41 PM »

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_National_521.pdf

Scroll down to the 12th page.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 06:47:24 PM »

So Obama loses among white voters but wins among Hispanics?  GG PPP.
ej2mm15
electoraljew2
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 06:59:08 PM »

According to the poll, yes.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 07:10:54 PM »

One poll doesn't make it true.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 09:32:54 PM »

Arizona is going to be competitive regardless of any Latino population increases between now and 2012.  The only reason it wasn't highly contested in 2008 was because of McCain's homestate advantage.  If McCain had been from New Mexico or Nevada I imagine the Arizona results would have fallen somewhere between Missouri and Indiana.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 10:23:23 PM »

It looks like a misprint, likely an inversion of "white" results and "Hispanic" results. That happens at times.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 10:26:51 PM »

Remember, the Hispanic population isn't always going for Democrats.  Are they lazy and have to depend on the government to help them out?  

CultureKing
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 11:05:06 PM »

Remember, the Hispanic population isn't always going for Democrats.  Are they lazy and have to depend on the government to help them out?  

No, they just don't trust the party that looks down on them.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 11:07:30 PM »

No, they just don't trust the party that looks down on them.

Is that the one that doesn't support illegal immigration or the one that says "we'll be your nanny, just vote for us"?
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 11:14:29 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2009, 11:18:10 PM by MagneticFree »

Are you serious?  If there's one ethnicity to stereotype as lazy, it's as sure as hell not Hispanics.
Anybody can be lazy.  Doesn't matter what your ethnicity, race, color or background is. I'm only saying some Hispanics are because this thread is specifically towards them. If they were not, then they wouldn't depend on a party that is big on spending and increasing the size of the government that provides assistance for them. 

They ought to help themselves out and look for careers rather than look for an easy to get job that hires people from anywhere outside the US along with Mexico and take away jobs from US citizens.  When they can't obtain a job here in the US, they should go back to their origin of location.  That's what I don't comprehend about Democrats and some Republicans half the time.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 12:26:20 AM »

Are you serious?  If there's one ethnicity to stereotype as lazy, it's as sure as hell not Hispanics.

Clearly you have never heard of the Protestant work ethic Tongue

(and how it compares to Catholics)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 01:09:53 AM »

A lot of Hispanics can't vote. Their median age is very young and many are not citizens. Given a reasonably close election, AZ is lean GOP and TX is safe GOP.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 03:24:52 PM »

Anybody can be lazy.  Doesn't matter what your ethnicity, race, color or background is. I'm only saying some Hispanics are because this thread is specifically towards them. If they were not, then they wouldn't depend on a party that is big on spending and increasing the size of the government that provides assistance for them. 

They ought to help themselves out and look for careers rather than look for an easy to get job that hires people from anywhere outside the US along with Mexico and take away jobs from US citizens.  When they can't obtain a job here in the US, they should go back to their origin of location.  That's what I don't comprehend about Democrats and some Republicans half the time.
You are an idiot. Go fuck yourself. How is wanting assistance or government help being lazy? Maybe if it wasn't for getting terrible wages, the high costs of healthcare and other neccesities and a whole slew of other things they wouldn't want assistance. The ironic part is that you are probably the great grandson of "lazy" immigrants yourself.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 02:49:18 AM »

And yet we can't watch Speedy Gonzalez anymore for that very reason.  Speedy is the only non-lazy Mexican mouse.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 05:48:11 AM »

Anybody can be lazy.  

No, you are wrong - only the rich can be lazy, in terms of actual behaviour.   

Poors are not allowed to be lazy - if they were to practice laziness they would be fired and would die of want.  Sure, they can secretly 'feel' lazy, and hate the boss, and complain about it later, but they have to do exactly as they are told, or they will be punished to the full extent.
Jacobtm

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 09:40:56 PM »

Anybody can be lazy.  Doesn't matter what your... background is.

Background matters a hell of alot. You don't go through the trouble of sneaking into the U.S. from Guatemala by being lazy.

Of course Hispanics, or Latinos, or whatever, can be lazy, but if you've ever been in a situation where you work with Hispanic immigrants, you'll see that they put white people to shame.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 10:48:05 PM »

Yeegods.  I wanted to discuss the effect of Latino voters on Arizona and, more importantly, Texas.  (ie -- while Obama won't win Texas, will Hispanic population growth there help him improve his margin there?)

Instead, some newbie turns this into a thread about lazy browns and the nanny state.  Swell.

Just how many personae does Coburn have?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 11:05:09 PM »

Ugh though that guy really struck a nerve with me. He is essentially suggesting that me and my Mom are lazy because we support the Democratic Party. I hate ignorant racists.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 11:27:06 AM »

Ugh though that guy really struck a nerve with me. He is essentially suggesting that me and my Mom are lazy because we support the Democratic Party. I hate ignorant racists.

There's no shortage of them here on the forum.  Just take heart that there are lots of good people in both parties.  Most of the racists and blowhards wouldn't dare say such things to your face.  They are the sort than can be so very brave...in the safety of their Mom's basement, behind a computer screen.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies