Can Obama win the white vote in 2012? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:46:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Can Obama win the white vote in 2012? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can Obama win the white vote in 2012?  (Read 5202 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: June 13, 2009, 02:47:30 AM »

If TX was not part of the union, he would have come closer this year. Why the hell are the whites there so Republican anyway? With people pouring into the state you'd think they'd moderate like VA and NC but they stay rock solid.

I think it may have to do with the fact that Texas is right next door to Mexico. I know, that sounds crazy, shouldn't they be MORE accepting of our Latino brothers and their beautiful tan skinned sisters? You would think. But you see there is this f#$ked up movement in the US called "protectionism" that justifies their backwards racist views through the facade of economics. They exist on both sides, Left and Right. On the Right they arouse fear that the "brown wave" from the south will take everybody's jobs to justify their prejudices against Mexicans. I visit West Texas occasionally and all I hear from white people is "We need to prevent the brown ns from taking our jobs! Lock em up! Muricah! F$#k yeah!"
Anyway, these masters of words twist their racist bastard beliefs into some sort of "save Muricah" bullsh#t so they can in turn parlay their racism onto the populace. It is the result of years of fearmongering that have resulted in high support for anti-immigration in the name of "economic security" in many white Texans. That's just my theory on why they're so stubborn.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 02:52:16 AM »

Obama probably won't win the white vote in 2012. Let's be honest, this is still America and we're still pretty screwed up when it comes to race relations. The extreme right will still be able to convince enough of white America that the "black is taking over". It was pretty damned hard for WASP Democrat males to win the white vote before Obama, I don't know why it'd be any easier.
On the other hand, there is the case of White Guilt to consider.......
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 04:47:07 PM »

White guilt exists only among white liberals.  Notice, too, that there is no such thing as Black guilt or Hispanic guilt, ostensibly because these races lack feelings.

I lawled. But in a neutral manner.

If his approval ratings are above 60% and the economy is growing, then he has a about a 50/50 chance of winning the white vote, especially if his opponent is Palin or Huckabee. If his opponent is Jindal, he's almost assured to win the white vote.

And regarding Texas, the extreme Republicanism of Texas whites has more to do with oil and economics than it does with race and immigration.

This is also true.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies