Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 27, 2014, 11:19:39 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  Cuba Lauded by the UN Human Rights Council for its respect for Human Rights
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cuba Lauded by the UN Human Rights Council for its respect for Human Rights  (Read 1590 times)
frenger
Bono
YaBB God
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 8.65, S: -4.17

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2009, 09:13:02 am »
Ignore

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2009/06/11/this-is-not-from-the-onion-but-the-un/

This Is Not from The Onion, but the UN

Posted by Juan Carlos Hidalgo

“Cuba recognized in the UN Human Rights Council”

The HRC’s press release states that:

Cuba had withstood many tests, and continued to uphold the principles of objectivity, impartiality and independence in pursuance of the realisation of human rights. Cuba was and remained a good example of the respect for human rights, including economic, social and cultural rights. The Universal Periodic Review of Cuba clearly reflected the progress made by Cuba and the Cuban people in the protection and promotion of human rights, and showed the constructive and responsive answer of Cuba to the situation of human rights. Cuba was the victim of an unjust embargo, but despite this obstacle, it was very active in the field of human rights.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 09:33:41 am by The sun came up with no conclusions »Logged

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." – H.L. Mencken

NO, I don't want to go back to Fantasy Elections.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 09:29:08 am »
Ignore

UN Human Rights Council=probably the most missnamed organization in the world

Makes the UN a bigger joke than it already was.

Now please...PLEASE somebody defend them or Cuba.  I need a good forum related laugh.

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
Nhoj
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 09:44:30 am »
Ignore

the UN is a joke, that is a well established fact.

آزادی برای ایران

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 12:06:15 pm »
Ignore

Now please...PLEASE somebody defend them or Cuba.  I need a good forum related laugh.
What can I say... yes the UN Human Rights Council is something of a joke.

For a fifty year old dictatorial regime, Cuba sure has an excellent human rights record... you're looking really, really ridiculous when you treat Castro as "Axis of Evil" material... not that that's reason enough to be jubilant if I were Cuban.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 12:08:51 pm »
Ignore

What can I say... yes the UN Human Rights Council is something of a joke.

For a fifty year old dictatorial regime, Cuba sure has an excellent human rights record... you're looking really, really ridiculous when you treat Castro as "Axis of Evil" material... not that that's reason enough to be jubilant if I were Cuban.

Quote from: DarqWolff
I'm kind of tired of citing these examples and I'm guessing you're getting tired of reading them... In closing, the people who know me in real life all respect me, as do a great many people in the Reddit brony community

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'
blagohair.com
unempprof
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.70

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 12:15:24 pm »
Ignore

dead0man, no offense, but what makes you think human rights are violated in Cuba?  Most people I know who are from Cuba or have been to Cuba (my father included) have nothing but things to say about them.

Healthcare is a right, not a moneymaking business - Bernie Sanders

American Exceptionalism: The only industrialized nation in which health care is not a universal right, but gun ownership is.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
YaBB God
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.61

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 12:21:34 pm »
Ignore

Laughable assessment of the human rights situation there aside, it goes so far as to blame the U.S. for any imperfection in that record?

Is this real?
Nutmeg
thepolitic
YaBB God
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.61

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 12:23:37 pm »
Ignore

no offense, but what makes you think human rights are violated in Cuba?

One small one is that you can't, you know, leave.
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 12:27:26 pm »
Ignore

Last I checked, almost 10% of the Cuban-born population of the world lived elsewhere. Grin

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 12:45:22 pm »
Ignore

dead0man, no offense, but what makes you think human rights are violated in Cuba?  Most people I know who are from Cuba or have been to Cuba (my father included) have nothing but things to say about them.
link

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -1.74

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 12:51:45 pm »
Ignore

Last I checked, almost 10% of the Cuban-born population of the world lived elsewhere. Grin

And changes are that they got there floating on a door.

MaxQue
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 12:54:18 pm »
Ignore

Well, I not surprised since the UN ''Human Rights'' Council is presided by the Nigeria and the China has a seat on it.
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 01:08:29 pm »
Ignore

And changes are that they got there floating on a door.

I may remind you...

In 1995 the US government entered into an agreement with the Cuban government to resolve the emigration crisis that created the Mariel Boatlift of 1980, when Castro opened the docks to anyone who wanted to leave. The result of the negotiations was an agreement under which the United States was required to issue 20,000 visas annually to Cuban emigrants. This quota is rarely filled; the Bush administration has refused to comply with the act, issuing only 505 visas to Cubans in the first six months of 2003. It has also blocked some Cubans who have visas.

Sensei
senseiofj324
YaBB God
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 01:16:48 pm »
Ignore

If I drove three miles north of here and stood on a street corner handing out pamphlets about Cuba's "respect for human rights", I'd get lynched.

Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 01:20:20 pm »
Ignore

If I drove three miles north of here and stood on a street corner handing out pamphlets about Cuba's "respect for human rights", I'd get lynched.
Oh, I don't think anyone is denying that. Grin

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout