Tom Suozzi "I now support Gay Marriage"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:59:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Tom Suozzi "I now support Gay Marriage"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tom Suozzi "I now support Gay Marriage"  (Read 3177 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2009, 10:05:03 PM »

Nassau County Executive Tom Suozzi who ran a Primary against Spitzer in 06 and has had his name thrown around for a possible 2010 Gov run has now come out in support of Gay Marriage.  This year Suozzi is running for re-election for a third term as Nassau County Executive.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-lisuoz1512879391jun14,0,4588771.story
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 10:16:01 PM »

There's a chance I could support him for Governor, should he decide to run again.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:26:57 PM »

There's a chance I could support him for Governor, should he decide to run again.

I think Suozzi has done an amazing job with Nassau County, he would likely be my first choice if he decided to run again for Gov.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 01:43:19 AM »

Here is Suozzi's op-ed in the NY Times

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/13/opinion/13suozzi.html?_r=1&scp=7&sq=tom%20suozzi&st=cse
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 03:00:31 AM »

Good, even the moderate [should there be "'s around that] Catholic Italians in the

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 03:18:39 AM »

(The Associated Press - NEW YORK) Former State Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno said he now supports legalizing same-sex marriage, a change of heart that could influence Albany lawmakers.

The 80-year-old, who retired last year as the state's most powerful Republican, said he now sees the issue as a civil right.

"As a Republican, I believe in personal freedom," Bruno said in a written statement. He said support of the measure by Democratic Gov. David A. Paterson, a friend and longtime collegial adversary in the Senate, helped him change his mind. Two years ago, Bruno blocked a version of the bill that the Democrat-led Assembly had passed.

"I opposed same sex marriage largely because the overwhelming majority of my caucus opposed it," Bruno stated. "However, that view really does conflict with the rights that are afforded all of us."
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 07:22:13 AM »

It's a prerequisite for all statewide New York officials to support it. He's probably running.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 10:50:30 AM »

It's a prerequisite for all statewide New York officials to support it. He's probably running.

Suozzi, or Bruno? I assume you meant Suozzi; Bruno is retired.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Suozzi jumped into the gubernatorial race.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 10:28:12 PM »

(The Associated Press - NEW YORK) Former State Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno said he now supports legalizing same-sex marriage, a change of heart that could influence Albany lawmakers.

The 80-year-old, who retired last year as the state's most powerful Republican, said he now sees the issue as a civil right.

"As a Republican, I believe in personal freedom," Bruno said in a written statement. He said support of the measure by Democratic Gov. David A. Paterson, a friend and longtime collegial adversary in the Senate, helped him change his mind. Two years ago, Bruno blocked a version of the bill that the Democrat-led Assembly had passed.

"I opposed same sex marriage largely because the overwhelming majority of my caucus opposed it," Bruno stated. "However, that view really does conflict with the rights that are afforded all of us."

I wish more Republicans had the balls to come out and say this while still in office.  The ones who "stay in the closet" when it comes to gay rights simply because the majority of their caucus opposes them really need to start stepping forward in order to rescue their own party. 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 09:05:04 PM »

Good, even the moderate [should there be "'s around that] Catholic Italians in the

I notice that those dominoes are all the same.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies