The Atlasian Sentinel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:20:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 30
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel  (Read 63870 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2009, 11:05:28 PM »
« edited: November 06, 2009, 06:03:10 PM by Governor Vepres »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Coming soon...

I decided to start this to report, analyze, and comment on news. I decided to do this for three reasons: One, many have been complaining about the disconnect between the senate and citizens, this will inform citizens of the senate's activities. Two, there are no regularly updated news sources around of late. Three, I have nothing better to do.

I plan to update it every few days if not every day and I hope to have the first edition out tomorrow. If you want to submit a commentary or analysis (probably when/if this gains more momentum and popularity), pm a summary of your post for my approval. Comments are welcome.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 11:06:55 PM »

You might want to start by fixing the title. Wink
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 11:12:28 PM »

What RowanBrandon said.

Also, it looks like this will discuss only the Senate--why?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 11:17:22 PM »

What RowanBrandon said.

Because we are just that damn interesting. Also, the majority of average Atlasians never or rarely visit the Government board, so this seems like a way to bridge that disconnect.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 11:28:33 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2009, 11:31:29 PM by Vepres »

You might want to start by fixing the title. Wink

Good idea. Wink

What RowanBrandon said.

The senate is why I started this, but they will be by no means the pure focus. Campaigns, the executive branch, and state governments will come into focus as well. GM events and news stories will also be commented on.

Because we are just that damn interesting. Also, the majority of average Atlasians never or rarely visit the Government board, so this seems like a way to bridge that disconnect.

Yes. Elections will be more interesting and activity will increase (hopefully) if Atlasians are informed. Besides, I need something to do, and there were no regularly updated news sources.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 11:51:05 PM »

Good to see one my campaign ideas was implemented...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 12:44:31 AM »

Good luck!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 12:59:19 AM »

I've always believed that a number of quality, active, well-written news sources are critical to the functioning of this game, and so I wish you luck!

And if this being elected President thing doesn't work out, maybe I'll start a newspaper as well.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 11:17:40 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2009, 04:13:28 PM by Vepres »

June 15, 2009; Edition 1
The Atlasian Sentinel

Constitutional Amendment Fails to Pass
By Vepres

As of yesterday, the constitutional amendment banning capital punishment nation-wide has failed to pass in the regional votes. The constitution states that three-fourths of all states must approve an amendment for it to pass. Two regions passed the amendment, the Midwest and the Pacific, and the Northeast is still voting. However, two regions, the Dirty South and the Mideast, rejected the amendment. With two of the regions rejecting it, there is no way the three-fourths of regions required for it to pass can be achieved (as two-fifths are greater than one-fourth, the maximum fraction of regions that can disapprove of an amendment, and have it still be instituted into law).

This is a major victory for the Regional Protection Party, which advocates for regional rights. Presidential candidate and RPP member Senator PiT, reportedly urged all RPP members to vote against the amendment. His efforts seem to have been proven successful.

Keystone Phil Confirmed by Senate for AG position
By Vepres

Keystone Phil (DPL-PA), President Bgwah's nominee to replace Attorney General Marokai, was unanimously confirmed by the senate today, with seven ayes, and zero nays and abstains. This nomination generated little controversy, though Senator Purple State questioned whether Keystone Phil was just making a power grab, considering he was already in a senate race. Keystone Phil replied,

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ultimately, Senator Purple State voted for Keystone Phil anyway. Senators Smid, Bacon King, Afleitch, were not present at the vote.

Tmthforu94 Appointed to the Mideast Assembly
By Vepres

Friday, Tmthforu94 was appointed to fill the vacancy in the Mideast assembly by Governor Inks.LWC. The seat had been vacated when it was revealed that the current office-holder, Persepolis, was Ogis, and then removed from the office. When asked by the Governor why he should appoint him to the seat, Tmthforu94 said, "I'm one of the only non-Assembly members who is active in the Assembly thread, so I know what is happening in the Mideast. I am devoted to helping the Mideast, and will represent the values of the Regional Protection Party."

Tmthforu94 is a member of the RPP, and currently a resident of Indiana.

Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 04:31:32 PM »

Page 2
June 15, 2009; Edition 1

School Lunch Bill is Signed into Law
By Vepres

Today, the "School Lunch Bill" was passed by the senate and subsequently signed by President Bgwah. The bill passed with 8 Ayes, 0 Nays, and 1 Abstain. Senator PiT was the only senator to abstain from the vote, and Senator Smid was not present.

The bill requires that all public Atlasian schools provide students with a salad bar at lunch. Poor families would be eligible for either partial or full subsidies based on their income so their children could afford a lunch. It also provided an additional $3.5 billion of school lunch and construction funds to each region.

The bill was introduced by Senator Marokai.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 04:55:37 PM »

Ah, something new to read over breakfeast.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 05:15:16 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2009, 05:20:49 PM by SayNoToRomney »

I have been considering doing something like this myself. Well, good luck.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 05:22:44 PM »

By Vepres

Keystone Phil (DPL-PA), President Bgwah's nominee to replace Attorney General Marokai, was unanimously confirmed by the senate today, with seven ayes, and zero nays and abstains. This nomination generated little controversy, though Senator Purple State questioned whether Keystone Phil was just making a power grab, considering he was already in a senate race. Keystone Phil replied,

Ultimately, Senator Purple State voted for Keystone Phil anyway. Senators Smid, Bacon King, Afleitch, were not present at the vote.

I object to this portrayal of my questioning. I simply was attempting to understand what about the position of AG appealed to Phil more than the Senate seat for which he was a candidate. It was my attempt at understanding what about the AG position most stood out in his mind. Instead, he answered with "Serving the people," which in no way related to the question (unless he was implying that Senators don't serve the people, which did not seem to be the case). My subsequent posts were meant to elicit a clearer response, which ended up muddled down by Phil's defensive posture.

Nevertheless, I voted for the AG's confirmation because I attribute his attitude to the cut-throat attitude that Atlasia has taken on, rather than any flaw in Phil's ability to get the job done.

By the way, I am always available for comment or an interview if the need/urge arises. Wink
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 06:18:54 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2009, 06:20:40 PM by Vepres »

By Vepres

I object to this portrayal of my questioning. I simply was attempting to understand what about the position of AG appealed to Phil more than the Senate seat for which he was a candidate. It was my attempt at understanding what about the AG position most stood out in his mind. Instead, he answered with "Serving the people," which in no way related to the question (unless he was implying that Senators don't serve the people, which did not seem to be the case). My subsequent posts were meant to elicit a clearer response, which ended up muddled down by Phil's defensive posture.

Nevertheless, I voted for the AG's confirmation because I attribute his attitude to the cut-throat attitude that Atlasia has taken on, rather than any flaw in Phil's ability to get the job done.

By the way, I am always available for comment or an interview if the need/urge arises. Wink

Thank you Senator! In hindsight I should've asked you personally why you questioned him.  I would edit it, but you make a good case here yourself.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 10:18:42 PM »

I was going to introduce the "Secretary of the Senate" idea, but I figured since it was Hashemite's idea, I didn't want to look like a thief.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 10:37:46 PM »

I was going to introduce the "Secretary of the Senate" idea, but I figured since it was Hashemite's idea, I didn't want to look like a thief.

The Secretary of the Senate idea was my idea, not Hashemite. He just had the idea of the noticeboard.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 10:45:23 PM »

The Secretary of the Senate idea was my idea, not Hashemite. He just had the idea of the noticeboard.

Oh, damn, I'm getting nothing straight today Tongue
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 10:49:49 PM »

Oh, damn, I'm getting nothing straight today Tongue

If you want to you can PM me and we can work on a bill to make the office and Hashemite can add his noticeboard idea to our bill.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 11:05:51 PM »

I actually like this done by private citizens for as long as possible. The Noticeboard idea with the Secretary of the Senate should still be implemented as soon as these elections are done with.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 11:10:41 PM »

So I came up with the idea of a Clerk for the Senate in 2006. Wink
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 04:44:54 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2009, 04:52:23 PM by Vepres »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Presidential Election Could Be a Close One
By Vepres

According to both the Survey Atlasia presidential poll as well as Franzl's tracking of the absentee ballots, the presidential election is shaping up to be a close one. The current poll shows Senator PiT with 54.5% of the vote, while Former Senator Lief has 45.5% of the vote. A nine point margin, essentially a tie given the historical inaccuracy of Atlasian polls.

The current absentee ballot results are close as well. Senator PiT and Fmr. Senator Lief are tied after DC_United's vote is distributed to PiT in the second round. If these patterns hold in the rest of the election, we could well have razor-thin victory from either PiT or Lief.

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 04:47:37 PM »

gporter edited his vote after 20 minutes, rendering it invalid.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 04:48:31 PM »

I think he meant DC United's vote for GPORTER.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 04:49:10 PM »

Though Lief & I are still tied in a second round, due to the distribution of Dc_united's vote. Right idea, wrong poster.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 04:52:01 PM »

Though Lief & I are still tied in a second round, due to the distribution of Dc_united's vote. Right idea, wrong poster.

Fixed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies