CA Gov race (2010)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:46:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA Gov race (2010)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: CA Gov race (2010)  (Read 8456 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2009, 11:28:19 AM »

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but who is looking to win the biggest statehouse for both sides?

The budget there is a nightmare in a state that some seem to think is ungovernable given the size and the problems. 

Does the GOP have any shot to even make the race competitive?  Arnold is a RINO and that helped us out a lot, as well as the weak Phil Angelides in 06, but I don' t know that it will help us in 2010. 
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 04:17:10 PM »

This race will be a stronghold for democrats.

This is the only race in 2010 when I'll be  agianest the GOP. Arnie has made it clear that the Cali GOP is useless.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 08:08:51 PM »

This is the only race in 2010 when I'll be  agianest the GOP. Arnie has made it clear that the Cali GOP is useless.

Roll Eyes
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:07:17 PM »

The Dems should pick this one up.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 04:59:05 PM »

Unfortunately yes. Though I would love for Meg Whitman to win it, that just dosen't seem likely right now.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 05:02:15 PM »

Roll Eyes

You're right, the California GOP has made it clear that the California GOP is useless.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 05:03:41 PM »

Unfortunately yes. Though I would love for Meg Whitman to win it, that just dosen't seem likely right now.

Meg Whitman probably can't win it. If you want to retain it, you would need Steve Poizner or Tom Campbell.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 06:05:16 PM »

Roll Eyes

You're right, the California GOP has made it clear that the California GOP is useless.

In a way you are right. Arnie is hardly representative of the the GOP in the state anymore. Neither party is going to give CA what it needs. The CA GOP is far too conservative to win CA except in the rural areas and the suburbs of San Diego. So yea its useless.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 06:57:53 PM »

Dem pickup.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 07:12:51 PM »

Roll Eyes

Exactly. The California Democratic politicians haven't been that great, but at least they aren't a band of extremists bent on destroying the state. The Republicans are opposed to even increasing the oil extraction fees to that of Alaska. What a bunch of crazies.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »

Any predictions on Jerry Brown vs Gavin Newsom?

Jerry Brown.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 08:05:36 PM »

Roll Eyes

Exactly. The California Democratic politicians haven't been that great, but at least they aren't a band of extremists bent on destroying the state. The Republicans are opposed to even increasing the oil extraction fees to that of Alaska. What a bunch of crazies.

Thats because Alaska distributes a lot of money each year to its citizens. In CA it would just go to fund a state Gov't that has grown too large.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 10:04:56 AM »

So, it looks like there are three remotely viable candidates on each side. The Democrats have Brown, Newsom and Villaraigosa. I'll assume that you know enough about each one. On the GOP side, we see Whitman, Poizner and now Tom Campbell. All three Republicans are "moderate" (don't read too much into this); Campbell represented my district in Congress some time back, and was a big impeachment fan.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 06:16:10 PM »

Exactly. The California Democratic politicians haven't been that great, but at least they aren't a band of extremists bent on destroying the state.

What California are you living in? 
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 10:16:06 PM »

Exactly. The California Democratic politicians haven't been that great, but at least they aren't a band of extremists bent on destroying the state.

They may not be extremist, though I would label some of the CA Dem Congressmen that, they certainly have done one hell of a job destroying the state.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 09:05:03 PM »

Roll Eyes

Thats because Alaska distributes a lot of money each year to its citizens. In CA it would just go to fund a state Gov't that has grown too large.

Too large?

Do you have any idea what exactly the Republican Party wants trimmed from government?
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 09:30:37 PM »

They may not be extremist, though I would label some of the CA Dem Congressmen that, they certainly have done one hell of a job destroying the state.

If California Democrats don't qualify as extreme, what the hell does?  Many of them are just bat sh**t crazy.  It doesn't get much more loony than California.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 09:43:06 PM »

Villa ain't running apparently.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 10:31:09 PM »

Roll Eyes

Too large?

Do you have any idea what exactly the Republican Party wants trimmed from government?

CA really doesn't have a choice. You can't let citizens dictate new spending proposals and not include ways to properly finance them in the same initiative. Putting them up separately ensures the new spending passes and the new funding doesn't. As for the legislature they are just as guilty of this for trying to cover the gaps with bandaides and pretend everything is fine. I am sorry to all my California friends but your state is f**ked. The sooner the big gov't tree hugger Dems realise this, the sooner California can make the reforms necessary to recover, whether it be changing the Constitution to prevent intiative forced unfunded mandates, cutting back severely in all gov't programs both good and bad, and keeping taxes from going up as much as humanely possible, but excepting some tax cuts as necessary after all possible cuts are made but avoid hiking the sales tax except on thinks like Tobacco and alcohol, etc. California needs grown ups in Sacremento and fast.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 11:11:07 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2009, 11:58:28 PM by Mechaman »

If California Democrats don't qualify as extreme, what the hell does?  Many of them are just bat sh**t crazy.  It doesn't get much more loony than California.

Don't even get me started on the big government cock sucker fool Dianne Feinstein. She is the Democratic equivalent of Jim Inhofe, except instead of thinking gays and abortion doctors are the biggest threats to American freedom, it's free speech, privacy, and gun ownership. How Californians keep re-electing this c**nt misguided soul is beyond me.

Wow Mech, isn't this a little harsh? Or are you trying to prove how much of a super Moderate Hero you are?
Wrong bitches. Let me give you a little rehash of how despicable and downright facistic Feinstein's views really are:

In recent years Feinstein has been working in the senate to increase the surveillance and wiretapping powers of the government and to reduce the legal safeguards that would protect citizens against it.
Thinks flag desecration should be illegal.
Supports capital punishment.
Wants to revise the so called "Fairness Doctrine" to target talk radio (ie regulate the air waves).
She has perhaps the most batsh**t insane views on gun control I've ever heard:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's very obvious from the above views and others that this woman doesn't give a damn about your constitutional rights. People like her are the ones who would wipe their asses with the Constitution. People like her would kill for the preservation of the state.

You know what's even more pathetic though? The dumbasses who keep electing this woman into office.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 12:30:54 AM »

Roll Eyes

Too large?

CA really doesn't have a choice. You can't let citizens dictate new spending proposals and not include ways to properly finance them in the same initiative. Putting them up separately ensures the new spending passes and the new funding doesn't. As for the legislature they are just as guilty of this for trying to cover the gaps with bandaides and pretend everything is fine. I am sorry to all my California friends but your state is f**ked. The sooner the big gov't tree hugger Dems realise this, the sooner California can make the reforms necessary to recover, whether it be changing the Constitution to prevent intiative forced unfunded mandates, cutting back severely in all gov't programs both good and bad, and keeping taxes from going up as much as humanely possible, but excepting some tax cuts as necessary after all possible cuts are made but avoid hiking the sales tax except on thinks like Tobacco and alcohol, etc. California needs grown ups in Sacremento and fast.
And the republicans aren't at all at fault huh? Remember that librul tree hugger big govt latte drinking prius driving prop 13? Passed with the help of that uber liberal Howard Jarvis. Yeah lets blame the libruls. Roll Eyes
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 12:37:32 AM »

Why the heck would anyone want to run California?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 05:42:11 AM »

Bingo.  You've heard me refer to this race as the equivalent of campaigning for captain of the Titanic.

Antonio did the right thing.  Get his name out there, but chillax on governing the ungovernable.  he's had some bad local press lately -- I seem to remember some LA magazine featuring him on its cover above the word "FAILURE." -- and this way he can wait around for a few years and get a couple better accomplishments and let CA's Latino population grow some.

Feinstein is 76.  She's a queen bee, but Antonio's best path upward is probably to try and remain relevant and well-liked until then.  Also, getting a stable marriage instead of just sleeping with the cute reporters who are supposed to be covering you would be a plus.  I mean, hell, he still has his ex-wife's last name attached to his own.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 08:00:53 AM »

Roll Eyes

Too large?

Changing the Constitution is a good idea.

Trimming a government that is "too big" by cutting education, healthcare and parks is not.

The Republican Party has no intention of doing the former*; its intransigence results in the latter.

*Neither do the Democrats, so far as I've seen, but that's not quite relevant.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 08:54:41 AM »

THe ultimate question.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies