Is Harry's ridiculous nationalism getting on your nerves?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:07:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is Harry's ridiculous nationalism getting on your nerves?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Is Harry's ridiculously extreme nationalism getting on your nerves?
Yes (American)

No (American)

Yes (Not American)

No (Not American)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Is Harry's ridiculous nationalism getting on your nerves?  (Read 4306 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2009, 12:25:45 PM »

His signature is a giant American flag which I don't mind in and of itself...if it wasn't as a result of stuff like this...

Basically calling me unpatriotic for not cheering for a team I don't care about over a team I do care about - https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=96418.msg2035624#msg2035624

Calling for the banning of dual citizenship - https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=97545.0

He also once said something about how I ought to lose my citizenship to someone who "actually wants it" because I supported a foreign Soccer team.
East Coast Republican

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 12:30:42 PM »

He's not getting on my nerves.

He's too nationalistic but it's not getting on my nerves.  He'd have to post a lot of times or attack me personally so...

NOPE!
East Coast Republican

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 12:33:14 PM »

Hey Harry,

How do I make that flag my signature?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 12:34:10 PM »

i find it refreshing that there is a democrat who actually likes america.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 12:37:50 PM »

Haha, usually liberals are roasted for being "unpatriotic".  And now I'm being roasted for being too patriotic.  I better go change my sig because I love America too much!

See, this is exactly my problem. You're applying the patriotism rants of a few people on the right to people like myself. You compared my support for another country's team to a hypothetical situation where a Democratic Congressman supporters another country's team and said the GOP would "crucify" him. Well, that might be true but I don't do that.

This isn't about patriotism, Harry. I have no problem with an American flag in someone's signature. I blasted BRTD for criticizing jm for having one in his signature. He said that was too nationalistic; it wasn't. Your situation is far different since you're on this kick about outlawing dual citizenship, revoking my citizenship because I like another country's team over the American team, etc.

You're being totally unreasonable and becoming a jingoistic bully. Don't mask this as simply loving America.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 12:40:38 PM »

If Phil doesn't like my sig, I could always change it to something like this:

THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE ARE UNPATRIOTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harry, you only help prove my point and refuse to acknowledge that I do not and have never questioned the patriotism of John Kerry or Barack Obama or...well...anyone. Thanks.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »

Harry's post about cheering the US over Italy (IT'S SOCCER, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE) got on my nerves a lot more. It's pretty funny actually.
East Coast Republican

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 12:41:54 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2009, 12:45:43 PM by East Coast Republican »

LOL John Kerry the loser who lost to President Bush!

EDIT: Yeah Kerry isn't unpatriotic.  I just laugh everytime I see his face.  The guy ran a campaign ten times worse than McCain.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 12:42:22 PM »

1.) Is Harry drunk?

2.) Why does it matter if someone is "patriotic"?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 12:43:17 PM »

No, that's the sad part. He does this every once in awhile.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 12:46:09 PM »

Harry, you only help prove my point and refuse to acknowledge that I do not and have never questioned the patriotism of John Kerry or Barack Obama or...well...anyone. Thanks.
I acknowledge that you have never questioned the patriotism of John Kerry or Barack Obama.  I don't think I've ever accused you of questioning their patriotism, only of associating with the party that does.

Again....I'm proud to be American.....but why is patriotism (or lack thereof) relevant?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 12:46:25 PM »

Haha, usually liberals are roasted for being "unpatriotic".  And now I'm being roasted for being too patriotic.  I better go change my sig because I love America too much!
It's just started to.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 12:47:45 PM »

I acknowledge that you have never questioned the patriotism of John Kerry or Barack Obama.  I don't think I've ever accused you of questioning their patriotism, only of associating with the party that does.

So, naturally, I agree with everything certain members of this party have said.  Roll Eyes

You associate with a party that constantly blasts your state and the people of Mississippi as backwards yet I have never said it's funny that you associate with them.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 12:51:48 PM »

Yes, I'm sure the entire Republican Party is always out questioning the patriotism of Democrats. Roll Eyes
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 01:44:45 PM »

Please. The Democrats have made enough back handed comments for any person with a brain to realize they are not fans of the state.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 02:12:56 PM »

Cite me examples of a Democratic screwjob on Mississippi on the level of the swiftboating of John Kerry.

It doesn't have to be on that level, dude. Of course I'm not going to find something on that level; what was said about Kerry was during a campaign for the most powerful office in the world. However, take a look at the amount of Dems just around here that blast your state.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't care if there isn't a movement. It still happens frequently (especially around here) and there isn't some serious movement within the GOP to label most Dems as unpatriotic.

You're totally missing the point though. Not surprising, of course.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 03:43:27 PM »

He once said that people who do not believe America is the greatest country in the world should lose their citizenship to people that want to immigrate here. Guess he doesn't want the United States to be a country where dissent is tolerated.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 04:05:43 PM »

I wouldn't call Phil "unpatriotic" for rooting for Italy over the USA but he's basically the equivalent of a Packers fan who has spent all his life residing in Chicago or a Mets fan who has spent all his life residing in Philadelphia. The analogy doesn't exactly work 100% since Italy isn't a division rival with the United States, but still. From the perspective of Italy fans, Phil is cool, but from the perspective of USA fans, he's a turncoat.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 04:42:35 PM »

I wouldn't label Harry's nationalism as ridiculous just yet.  However if he starts getting jingoistic about American bread, then he'll have crossed the line into ridicule.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 04:45:03 PM »

Don't knock the guy for loving his country. I wish all Americans were that patriotic.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 04:46:24 PM »

Don't knock the guy for loving his country. I wish all Americans were that patriotic.

Patriotism and Nationalism do not have the same meaning.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 04:56:59 PM »

Yes. He gets on an odd kick about this every now and then.

I'm against flag-waving jingoism which is why I'll never put an American flag in my sig, I put a Georgia flag in during their war and am considering an Iranian one now, but those are different situations.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 05:20:10 PM »

I'm against flag-waving jingoism which is why I'll never put an American flag in my sig,

More evidence BRTD hates America.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 05:31:45 PM »

I wouldn't call Phil "unpatriotic" for rooting for Italy over the USA but he's basically the equivalent of a Packers fan who has spent all his life residing in Chicago or a Mets fan who has spent all his life residing in Philadelphia. The analogy doesn't exactly work 100% since Italy isn't a division rival with the United States, but still. From the perspective of Italy fans, Phil is cool, but from the perspective of USA fans, he's a turncoat.

God we have a lot of Packers fans here.  It's sickening.  They are traitors to Minnesota and should be deported back to WisCAAANsin. [/sarcasm]

But I agree with BRTD here:  Flag waving jingoism is incredibly irritating.  Not because loving your country is bad, but because we believe those people spend every day of their lives advocating for restricting the rights of Americans both socially and economically, which they make up for by wrapping themselves in the flag.  You know the type... the hummer driver that has that stupid little "support the troops" magnet stuck on the back.  They've never served in the military and have no idea what the troops go through to secure that oil they're squandering.. and instead turn "supporting the troops" into a right-wing political statement.  It is incredibly disrespectful.

It's just so disingenuous... and it reminds me of the song from Team America "Freedom costs a buck-o-five."

If you want to support the troops, donate to causes for serving members, their families, and for veterans.  Go talk to a veteran.  Spend time with them.  Learn something so that you might not be so quick to commit people to war so you can sit in your air conditioned gas guzzler and slap that retarded little magnet on the back of your truck... that $.99 afterthought of "support" for the troops while you were at the gas station.

uygh...sorry, I'm done.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 05:36:37 PM »

What's so lamentable about dual citizenship?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies