Is Harry's ridiculous nationalism getting on your nerves?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:08:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is Harry's ridiculous nationalism getting on your nerves?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Is Harry's ridiculously extreme nationalism getting on your nerves?
Yes (American)

No (American)

Yes (Not American)

No (Not American)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Is Harry's ridiculous nationalism getting on your nerves?  (Read 4302 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 06:22:17 PM »

Don't knock the guy for loving his country. I wish all Americans were that patriotic.

Roll Eyes

As I clearly stated, this isn't about him loving his country; it's about calling other people out for not loving it enough or hinting that some of us don't love it at all.

He once said that people who do not believe America is the greatest country in the world should lose their citizenship to people that want to immigrate here. Guess he doesn't want the United States to be a country where dissent is tolerated.

Ah, that's right. That's when he said people ought to lose citizenship. What a clown.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 07:28:31 PM »

I'm sorry Harry.. but you are kind of a militant liberal... you know

"IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHW.. I MEAN BUS POWERED BY RENEWABLE BIOFUELS, GOD DAMNIT!"
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 07:30:44 PM »

What's so lamentable about dual citizenship?

Conflicting loyalties.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 08:03:19 PM »

Yes. He gets on an odd kick about this every now and then.

I'm against flag-waving jingoism which is why I'll never put an American flag in my sig, I put a Georgia flag in during their war and am considering an Iranian one now, but those are different situations.

You do realize that the Ahminedjabists are the main ones waving the Iranian flag.  Try the Libyan flag since it is solid green.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 09:43:19 PM »

Yes.  Anyone who opposes dual citizenship is a joke.

Reading Harry's argument in that thread was sort of painful, really...
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2009, 11:08:37 PM »

Yes.  Anyone who opposes dual citizenship is a joke.

Reading Harry's argument in that thread was sort of painful, really...

There was a time when you contributed a lot to this forum.  Now you just make snide, mean-spirited quips.  If you think that dual citizenship is such a great thing, you could have defended it in the thread.  Maybe you could have even changed my mind if my arguments are so bad that they're "painful", but no, you'd rather just get your kicks from being a douche.

What?  The argument in favor of dual citizenship is common sense.  It was explained in that thread to you by numerous posters.  Why should anyone have to "prove" that they are loyal to America and America only?  That's just retarded.

I don't know what you're trying to compensate for by being so overly nationalistic.  I sort of doubted that you were being serious at first, just because your reasoning was so awful and the viewpoint is so ridiculous that anyone who legitimately holds it probably hasn't traveled more than twenty miles in any direction for the entirety of their lives.

Thanks for the words, though.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2009, 12:23:43 AM »

well, I sort of feel bad that he's stuck, vigorously defending (as he sees it, emotionally) an inanimate entity that will never love him.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2009, 02:07:08 AM »

Yes indeed. There is nothing more profoundly irritating than somebody on a super nationalistic tirade who's answer to everything is "Muricah this, Muricah that!"
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2009, 02:58:20 AM »

Significantly more than recent immigrants?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2009, 10:33:32 AM »

What I love about some nationalists is their attitude concerning immigrants. In many cases, they welcome them and point to their journey to America has proof that everyone wants to be here.

These nationalists will vigorously defend the recent immigrants against their former countrymen when the immigrants are called traitors (though I don't believe this is common. I think most people are happy for their friends and family when they get the chance to go to America). There is no way that people going to the U.S. are traitors but the second an American does something similar or even do something like supporting another national sports them, they're turncoats.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »

Many people, for entirely legitimate reasons, must split their lives between two or more countries.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2009, 11:16:46 AM »

No (American)...to be fair, very few things "get on my nerves".  I'm much more annoyed by the jackasses that cruise in the passing lane on the highway than I am by Harry or his Nationalism.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2009, 12:23:38 PM »

Can you blame Phil? Americans doesn't even know the right name for football, they definatley doesn't know how to play it. If it was my national team I wouldn't want to support them either.

American patriotism amuses me. If Harry had been German and been as nationalistic, he would have been called a Nazi and grilled at a stake, and the same had basicly been true for any European country as well.

It doesn't annoy me however, as a matter of fact I wish we Europeans were a little bit more proud of our homelands. It only starts to irritate me when someone critisies other people for not being patriotic enough. (Yes Glenn Beck, I'm sure Obama admiting to the French that America might have done one or two mistakes in the last years mean he hates the country with a passion *roll eyes*.) Isn't it said that the people you love the most you critisise the most, anyway? I for one critisise my family and friends alot more than random strangers I've never met.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think there was a man here in Sweden that was forced to serve both in the Swedish and the French military cause he had dual citizenship. Otherwise I do not see the problem with it.

My best friend is a citizen both of Sweden and New Zealand. I've never experienced her having conflicting loyalties. And even if she had to give up one of the citizenships it's not like that would make her less of a half New Zealander or half Swede because of it. Your loyalty isn't in a piece of paper.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2009, 01:21:30 PM »

huh.. serving both the French and Swedish militaries would be easy.

Just show up in France, drop your gun and run to Sweden, who will remain neutral.

There ya have it!

(I know.. tasteless cliches at the expense of the French... but I think they can handle it)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2009, 01:37:49 PM »

(I know.. tasteless cliches at the expense of the French... but I think they can handle it)

One more, one less. What's the difference.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2009, 04:06:44 PM »

No one can ever be too patriotic. And you can't tell them to stop. Keep doing what your doing Harry.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2009, 04:49:49 PM »

If a recent immigrant has dropped their other citizenship when acquiring U.S. citizenship, I'd consider that immigrant to be more loyal than someone who has dual citizenship.

Many people, for entirely legitimate reasons, must split their lives between two or more countries.

Perfectly understandable, so long as they declare which country to give their primary allegiance to.

My best friend is a citizen both of Sweden and New Zealand. I've never experienced her having conflicting loyalties. And even if she had to give up one of the citizenships it's not like that would make her less of a half New Zealander or half Swede because of it. Your loyalty isn't in a piece of paper.     

So who would she support if Sweden and New Zealand went to war?  Granted, it's unlikely that would ever happen during her lifetime.

More tellingly, who does she pay her taxes to?

I've heard about the advantages to people who have dual-citizenship in this thread, but what benefit accrues to countries in having partial citizens?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2009, 05:47:59 PM »

I've heard about the advantages to people who have dual-citizenship in this thread, but what benefit accrues to countries in having partial citizens?

Shouldn't the question be if any country has a disadvantage? Seems like there should be a good reason before rights are restricted.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2009, 06:09:30 PM »

She'd support Sweden, since she lives and grew up here. (She pays her taxes here too) She'd be a strong advocate for peace though. I don't think she'd be happy about either side bombing the hell out of eachother.

But what if they still have family and friends back in their old country. They might prefer (or love) to live in America and gladly have given up their old citizenship, but if the US enters into a war with that nation and your military bombs the homes of their cousins, don't you think they'd have conflicting loyalties even though they'd given up their citizenship.

I mean take Cuban imigrants to the US for example. They're very pro-America and hates the communist regime in their homeland. Still I very much doubt that they'd willingly put on a uniform and go shoot at their cousins in the Cuban army if the conflict between your countries would ever become an actual war.

That is why FDR thought it was a good idea to put all Americans with close family in Germany, Italy, and Japan in prison during WWII, even though most of them probably would have supported America.

The only way conflicted loyalties could be completely avoided was if all immigration ended, marrige between people from different nations were outlawed, and living in another country for more than a month would be strongly forbidden. Just taking away dual citizenship wouldn't do the trick.

Haha, you might have a point.

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2009, 07:26:57 PM »

I couldn't care less about it either way.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2009, 07:41:14 PM »

He's not bothering me at all.  I think he's being a bit extreme, but it doesn't bother me.  Plus, his sig is great.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2009, 08:43:41 PM »

Shouldn't the question be if any country has a disadvantage? Seems like there should be a good reason before rights are restricted.

Most obvious disadvantages are having to share the tax revenue and loyalty of its half-citizens.  Also, while everyone has an inherent right to be a citizen of a country, being a fractional-citizen of multiple countries is a privilege, not a right.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2009, 08:43:55 PM »

If a recent immigrant has dropped their other citizenship when acquiring U.S. citizenship, I'd consider that immigrant to be more loyal than someone who has dual citizenship.

Fair enough, but were America to go to war with this hypothetical immigrant's native country, what makes you think that simply declaring fidelity to America precludes his return to his homeland for war?  Since there's no way to know for certain where their true loyalties lie, why make life difficult for those who are dual citizens and benefit from it?

Why should it have to benefit countries for it to be legal?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2009, 08:59:39 PM »

Why should it have to benefit countries for it to be legal?

Yeah, exactly. Who cares if a country doesn't have benefit?
East Coast Republican

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2009, 11:18:22 PM »

Harry's patriotism isn't ridiculous.  His dual citizenship thing is though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies