Which group do you find most annoying?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:31:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which group do you find most annoying?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which group do you find most annoying?
Militant pro-lifers

Militant atheists

Militant non-smokers

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Which group do you find most annoying?  (Read 2923 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2009, 06:45:06 PM »

?
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 06:47:01 PM »

Option 2, of course.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 06:47:09 PM »

Militant pro lifers.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 06:53:18 PM »

Militant Atheists
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 06:56:44 PM »

I don't think I've ever met anyone who is pro-life.  Most of my Republican friends and acquiantances are either businessmen who don't want to pay taxes, racist or gun-nuts.  My aunt and I once had a discussion about abortion and how nutty pro-lifers can be and her father called her a baby-killer, but I wouldn't call him a pro-lifer because he doesn't care enough about the issue.
Militant atheists are no worse than religious people, but I feel sympathy for them because being an atheist is a rather courageous thing considering the contempt most of them face.
I guess one could say that I belong to the third category but I'm not really an activist that wants smoking to be banned everywhere.  My father however was a smoker (until he got cancer) and my childhood was painful because of it so I don't think anyone has the right to call me annoying because I don't want people smoking in front of me when they know how harmful it is to me.  

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »

Option 1, obviously.  Options 2 and 3 are very rare, certainly rarer than their counterparts.

For the record, militant pro-choicers are also very annoying.  That's why I hate the abortion issue so much...I would never want to associate myself with the people on either side.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 07:22:48 PM »

Militant atheists.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 07:35:50 PM »

Militant atheists piss me off so much. And, unlike with pro-lifers, I am actually somewhat sympathetic to their cause. Organized religion is usually terrible! But there's no need to be such a condescending dick about it 24/7 on every single website I read! And the worst part is the militant atheists who use evolution and science to try and disprove religion. They're ruining science and anti-religionism at the same time!

Terrible people.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 08:15:02 PM »

I've run across more militant antismokers than prolifers (almost none). Militant atheism is just funny.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 08:20:45 PM »

I've never met a militant anti-smoker.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 08:29:18 PM »

I don't think I've ever met anyone who is pro-life.  

Seriously? It has been my experience that a large proportion of high school students profess pro-life beliefs (& this is coming from someone living in San Francisco).
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 08:29:34 PM »

Militant atheists piss me off so much. And, unlike with pro-lifers, I am actually somewhat sympathetic to their cause. Organized religion is usually terrible! But there's no need to be such a condescending dick about it 24/7 on every single website I read! And the worst part is the militant atheists who use evolution and science to try and disprove religion. They're ruining science and anti-religionism at the same time!

Terrible people.

Rule number one in religion/science debate:

You can't use science to prove or disprove religion and you can't use religion to prove or disprove science.

I generally can't stand militant liberals in general.. or the moralistic idiots like the administrator in Maine that snatched back the kid's diploma and declined to give it to him because he took a bow and blew a kiss to his parents in the audience.

I truly am against the nanny state and it is ruining our country.  I can't wait until the baby boomers and Gen Xers are out of power so this crap can stop.  Give the kids a break... seriously.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 08:47:05 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2009, 08:54:19 PM by blagohair.com »

Seriously? It has been my experience that a large proportion of high school students profess pro-life beliefs (& this is coming from someone living in San Francisco).

I graduated from high-school a lifetime ago so I wouldn't know Smiley

From my experience most women are pro-choice while men don't care about the issue enough to take a position.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 08:57:51 PM »

I graduated from high-school a lifetime ago so I wouldn't know Smiley

From my experience most women are pro-choice while men don't care about the issue enough to take a position.

Well throughout high school I was in classes that were anywhere from 65% to 85% male, so that probably fueled my perception that high school students are unusually pro-life, though I have experienced that many boys in high school are extremely averse to the notion of abortion being legal.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 12:10:12 PM »

Option one, easily.  Though pro-lifer is a term that is disputable.  Someone like Inks or Phil is pro-life.  Someone who screams epithets and threats at women, commits vandalism or even murder is just pro-stupidity or perhaps pro-theocracy.

Militant Atheists annoy me but I know very few.  Most of the Atheists I know are extremely supportive of my right to believe as I do.  And one Atheist friend is actually quite active in voicing her concern about persecuted religious minorities around the world.

Militant non-smokers offend me, though I confess, I benefit from the anti-smoking culture.  I cannot be in places where there is much smoking for very long.  And as someone who is addicted to coffee, diet cola and food...who am I to point fingers at my pals who want to light up? 
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 12:15:52 PM »

Militant atheists. I hate atheists in general. Put the word Militant in front of atheist then I hate then as much as I hate Bin Laden or Hitler.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 12:20:44 PM »

Option one, easily.  Though pro-lifer is a term that is disputable.  Someone like Inks or Phil is pro-life.  Someone who screams epithets and threats at women, commits vandalism or even murder is just pro-stupidity or perhaps pro-theocracy.

Militant Atheists annoy me but I know very few.  Most of the Atheists I know are extremely supportive of my right to believe as I do.  And one Atheist friend is actually quite active in voicing her concern about persecuted religious minorities around the world.

Militant non-smokers offend me, though I confess, I benefit from the anti-smoking culture.  I cannot be in places where there is much smoking for very long.  And as someone who is addicted to coffee, diet cola and food...who am I to point fingers at my pals who want to light up? 

I was just discussing this poll with Chris. The term Pro-Life is disputable as it implies something about the opposite viewpoint. People who are Pro-Choice are pro-'life' - we just differ on what constitutes a life. I may support abortion in the first trimester, but I oppose the death penalty. I do believe in the right to having a quality of life that constitutes more than simply exisiting. I see no reason why a 10 year old girl raped by father should give birth to a child that will harm her body physically and mentally. I see no reason why a man in a vegetative state should be kept alive if it is against his wishes, when in capacity or the wishes of his family. I see no reason why a state should ever dream of executing a criminal even of the highest magnitude. Death is the release of a soul to a higher power to judge, but crimes committed on earth should be punished by earthly means.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 12:22:59 PM »

Militant atheists. I hate atheists in general. Put the word Militant in front of atheist then I hate then as much as I hate Bin Laden or Hitler.

Then you're stupid.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 01:29:42 PM »

Then you're stupid.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 03:05:18 PM »

you seriously think a militant atheist is as bad as a madman who killed six million of your people?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 03:10:33 PM »

I voted for option 1 but I'm glad option 3 got at least a few votes. Both groups are extremely frustrating, imo.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 04:34:19 PM »

That makes you an idiot.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 10:29:34 PM »

They are all equally annoying.  I went with Militant pro-lifers solely because their numbers make them more likely to ruin my day.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 10:38:27 PM »

They are all equally annoying.  I went with Militant pro-lifers solely because their numbers make them more likely to ruin my day.
I think they are all equally annoying. 
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 09:08:11 AM »

Terrible people.

Rule number one in religion/science debate:

You can't use science to prove or disprove religion and you can't use religion to prove or disprove science.

I generally can't stand militant liberals in general.. or the moralistic idiots like the administrator in Maine that snatched back the kid's diploma and declined to give it to him because he took a bow and blew a kiss to his parents in the audience.

I truly am against the nanny state and it is ruining our country.  I can't wait until the baby boomers and Gen Xers are out of power so this crap can stop.  Give the kids a break... seriously.

Amen brotha!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies