Are all the crazy Obama rumors...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:59:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are all the crazy Obama rumors...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ... just a "polite" way of expressing hostility to his skin color?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Are all the crazy Obama rumors...  (Read 3114 times)
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »

You all know what I mean- the crap about Obama being a secret Muslim, or having been born outside the US, etc. What all of these have in common is an element of xenophobia, implying that Obama does not belong to the "American mainstream," for which read "white Christian mainstream." Emphasis on the white, in my opinion.

See, I have to assume that even in the most backwards, rabidly evangelical areas of Oklahoma, say, or Mississippi, it is much safer to raise "doubts" about Obama's point of origin and/or religious preference, than to flatly say "we don't like ns." These are code phrases. In their own bizarre way, these rumors are as close to "political correctness" as many racist conservatives will ever go!

What do you think?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 05:01:09 PM »

No.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 05:07:57 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2009, 05:09:28 PM by Snowguy716 »

I think in many cases, yes... but it is by no means the main reason people bring that crap up.

I think most closet racists would fiercely defend a black Republican in power.  It's not so much about skin color as it is about being different.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 05:09:35 PM »

I think there's more fear of criticizing the guy and being judged as a racist for criticizing a black man.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 05:17:13 PM »

Well, you can criticize Obama without being racist.  But you can't question his religion or citizenship without making people think you're being racist.

The man says he is a Christian and he is a citizen of the United States.  If you don't want to believe him, fine... but don't sugar-coat it. 
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 05:20:44 PM »

Most likely, yes. Alot of people, whether they mean to or not, associate being black with being "unpatriotic" or "unamerican." Alot of these "rumors" are just designed to heighten that sense of unamericanism that is based on his skin color.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 05:46:45 PM »

No.
CJK
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 05:47:47 PM »

Those "crazy Obama rumors" are largely figment of liberal imagination to affirm Obama's victimhood status and in addition their own innate sense of superiority over those backwoods hicks. Oh, sure, a fringe minority believes them (a fringe minority thinks Bush blew up the World Trade Center) but they are/were blown way out of proportion by Obama supporters and his media protectors.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 05:50:59 PM »

Alot of people, whether they mean to or not, associate being black with being "unpatriotic" or "unamerican."

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 05:55:09 PM »

Alot of people, whether they mean to or not, associate being black with being "unpatriotic" or "unamerican."

Didn't Jesse Helms believe that the civil rights fighters were communists trying to undermine democracy?
And hadn't Jeff Sessions said that NAACP and ACLU were communist-inspired organizations?

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 05:56:21 PM »

The vast majority of them, yes.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 06:00:27 PM »

Didn't Jesse Helms believe that the civil rights fighters were communists trying to undermine democracy?
And hadn't Jeff Sessions said that NAACP and ACLU were communist-inspired organizations?

Ah, yes. Now there are two people speaking on behalf of "most Americans" on issues of race.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 06:03:51 PM »

Ah, yes. Now there are two people speaking on behalf of "most Americans" on issues of race.

That claim was never made. He was simply suggesting that alternative criticisms are created for particular people or movements to hide the true reasons behind one's opposition/discomfort.

Nobody is claiming that that equals a majority of Americans....as a majority of Americans doesn't believe the garbage.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 06:07:06 PM »

That claim was never made. He was simply suggesting that alternative criticisms are created for particular people or movements to hide the true reasons behind one's opposition/discomfort.

Nobody is claiming that that equals a majority of Americans....as a majority of Americans doesn't believe the garbage.

I think he was using them as an example that "a lot" of Americans feel that way about blacks and that's pretty damn ridiculous.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 06:10:45 PM »

I think he was using them as an example that "a lot" of Americans feel that way about blacks and that's pretty damn ridiculous.

Franzl is right. Even though in the 1960's and 70's when these accusations were made I wouldn't be surprised to see a majority of whites to agree with them.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 06:11:39 PM »

The share of Americans who think that Obama is a "secret Muslim" has stayed remarkably consistent: 10-15% ever since he appeared on the national stage a few years back.  That suggests that the (small, but not that small[/i]) minority that believes it is utterly unwilling to even consider the falsehood of that statement and ignores all evidence to the contrary.  Obviously, people believe that Obama's a Muslim because they want to believe he's a Muslim.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 06:18:59 PM »

Franzl is right. Even though in the 1960's and 70's when these accusations were made I wouldn't be surprised to see a majority of whites to agree with them.

There is no basis whatsoever that "many" Americans agree with these accusations (especially today).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 06:22:48 PM »

There is no basis whatsoever that "many" Americans agree with these accusations (especially today).

But Phil...."many" is relative. Imagine how many people supported Joseph McCarthy's crusades...just as an example of how crazy some people can get.

You could ask: "Do you believe Barack Obama will ban Christianity?", and you'd get 10%+ who would answer YES.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 06:23:09 PM »

Religion: Unlikely

Citizenship: No, there is no actual racism in that. Many people are simply very Constitution oriented. There is nothing wrong with it.
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 06:26:15 PM »

I think there's more fear of criticizing the guy and being judged as a racist for criticizing a black man.

Right on. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 06:31:51 PM »

But Phil...."many" is relative. Imagine how many people supported Joseph McCarthy's crusades...just as an example of how crazy some people can get.

Maybe that's why, when we have these conversations, we shouldn't use words like "a lot." Sure, there may be a lot of racists in the country but when we compare that to the entire population, there aren't that many.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 06:47:52 PM »

Why must you take shots at Mississippi?  I know you northerners are engrained to always think "racist" when you hear Mississippi, but jesus...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 06:53:20 PM »

Calling him a Muslim is worse than calling him the N word.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 07:01:59 PM »

Calling him a Muslim is worse than calling him the N word.

And thats not insulting to Muslims or anything..
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 08:57:07 PM »

Why must you take shots at Mississippi?  I know you northerners are engrained to always think "racist" when you hear Mississippi, but jesus...

My bad. After reviewing 2008 exit polls, it's clear that Mississippi's racial problems are overrated...

Obama % (Whites): 11%
Obama % (Blacks): 98%

Please accept my apology. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies