Are Southerners motivated towards hyper-patriotism out of guilt?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:57:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are Southerners motivated towards hyper-patriotism out of guilt?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: See above.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Are Southerners motivated towards hyper-patriotism out of guilt?  (Read 1863 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2009, 07:57:19 PM »

Of course they are. Living as I do near southern (and Southern) Missouri, I see pick-ups piloted by pot-bellied illiterates bearing flag decals every day. And why? Because, I suspect, they have developed a massive inferiority complex owing to their treasonous behavior in the Rebellion. Just as the man least secure in his sexuality most insists on it, so too does the Southerner demand that we recognize his nationalism for all to see - to compensate for his dislike for the United States of America.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 08:43:28 PM »

No, don't be stupid.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:50:39 PM »

How is it stupid? The compensatory principle works on the collective as well as the individual level - just as, for example, the anti-Semite lambastes Jews for their alleged proclivities toward intellectualism (a projection to compensate for his own banality), Southern culture has long 'de-patriotized' the North, so as to escape the guilt of its own, real, treason.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 09:14:25 PM »

Southern culture has long 'de-patriotized' the North, so as to escape the guilt of its own, real, treason.

You really think they feel guilty of their treason? I always had the inkling suspicion they were proud. 
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 09:22:57 PM »

No, go to hell.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 12:23:25 AM »

Southern culture has long 'de-patriotized' the North, so as to escape the guilt of its own, real, treason.

You really think they feel guilty of their treason? I always had the inkling suspicion they were proud. 

I agree.  Don't Southerners make up a disproportionate part of our military?  I always thought it was part of their culture. 
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 12:24:09 AM »

I agree.  Don't Southerners make up a disproportionate part of our military?  I always thought it was part of their culture. 

Or because they're more poor.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 12:26:43 AM »

You know, no one alive in the South had anything to do with the Civil War, and for most of us it was 5 or 6 generations ago.  So there's absolutely nothing for us to feel "guilty" about.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 12:30:42 AM »

Or because they're more poor.

Good point. 

You know, no one alive in the South had anything to do with the Civil War, and for most of us it was 5 or 6 generations ago.  So there's absolutely nothing for us to feel "guilty" about.

Segregation?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 12:32:27 AM »

If anything, there is more pride about our southern heritage than anything else. Enzyme is wrong again.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 12:37:19 AM »

All of America has had racial problems, not just the South.  The largest race riots during the 1960's were in Boston and NYC, actually.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 12:38:32 AM »

Hmm, I would recommend first, Eizinge, you examine American history prior to the Civil War.  That would, after all, act as a control so as to test your hypothesis.  I suppose that logic evaded you, though.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 02:59:10 AM »

Hmm, I would recommend first, Eizinge, you examine American history prior to the Civil War.  That would, after all, act as a control so as to test your hypothesis.  I suppose that logic evaded you, though.

I don't think Einzige is a fan of the concept of falsifiability.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 06:08:18 AM »

All of America has had racial problems, not just the South.  The largest race riots during the 1960's were in Boston and NYC, actually.

You're seriously saying that discrimination was at the same level in Boston and NYC as in Mississippi or Alabama?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 08:03:45 AM »

You're seriously saying that discrimination was at the same level in Boston and NYC as in Mississippi or Alabama?

Yes, it was probably quite worse in NYC in the late 19th and early 20th century.

And Einzige is still a moron.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 10:17:40 AM »

I don't think I said that at all (like, actually...).

However, it's absurd how northerners act so high and mighty on the issue of race relations when they've had terrible problems in their history as well.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 10:32:39 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2009, 10:37:05 AM by Mechaman »

I don't think I said that at all (like, actually...).

However, it's absurd how northerners act so high and mighty on the issue of race relations when they've had terrible problems in their history as well.

Yeah like acting like slavery was only happening in the South during the Civil War or that said war was waged because Whitey up north actually gave a damn about the black man. Give me a break.
Wow, did I just agree with Harry on an issue?

However, I think southerners are trying to make up for segregation and other blunders made on the whole civil rights issue. Hell, my man Fred Harris, who was part of the liberal activist wing of the Democratic party, first became senator in 1964 when OK was a bit more conservative than it is now and his main issue was returning Native American lands taken from the time of Theodore Roosevelt. Just saying.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 01:41:01 PM »

said war was waged because Whitey up north actually gave a damn about the black man.

This statement can only be sarcastic if one ignores the existence of the many northern whites who did "[give] a damn about the black man." Genuine egalitarians like Thaddeus Stevens were major players in the United States' war effort, and there's a reason that US troops marched to the tune of "John Brown's Body."

Moral equivalency was a favored rhetorical tool of the Confederates, but it doesn't have much basis in reality.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 02:16:21 PM »

said war was waged because Whitey up north actually gave a damn about the black man.

This statement can only be sarcastic if one ignores the existence of the many northern whites who did "[give] a damn about the black man." Genuine egalitarians like Thaddeus Stevens were major players in the United States' war effort, and there's a reason that US troops marched to the tune of "John Brown's Body."

Moral equivalency was a favored rhetorical tool of the Confederates, but it doesn't have much basis in reality.
The abolitionists are heroes, obviously, but to suggest their opinions were commonplace in the North is laughable.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 02:32:07 PM »

The abolitionists are heroes, obviously, but to suggest their opinions were commonplace in the North is laughable.

Indeed. Even in Massachusetts there were many merchants who supported slavery for economic reasons, as well as many people who simply did not care about the black man.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 03:26:20 PM »

Paul is correct.  Southern culture has a long martial tradition.  The gentry and the poors.  These days, I suspect it's mostly the poors serving in the military because it provides steady employment and somewhat adequate benefits. 
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 03:37:59 PM »

My dad who was born and raised in Queens, was in the Air Force in the late 60's and stationed in Mississippi and portions of Florida and has said in the limited time he was off of the bases he saw much more racism and discrimination than what he saw in his entire life in New York.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 04:36:08 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2009, 04:37:39 PM by Rob »

In certain Upper North states like Minnesota and Vermont, "radicals" probably formed a majority- or nearly so- of Republican voters. i.e., the "majority of the majority" was radicalized. This is suggested by the type of men the Republicans chose as standard-bearers in these states, and their success at the polls.

More importantly for the sake of this discussion, historians have demonstrated that racial idealism did become a cornerstone of the American war effort, particularly after the Emancipation Proclamation. Military service radicalized countless prewar northern racists. Also, "radical" Republicans showed disproportionate strength in Congress after the traitors left; in other words, the men actually guiding US policy were quite likely to be racial egalitarians.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 04:47:48 PM »

Their opinions were commonplace in many areas in the North, especially in New England rural areas.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 04:55:27 PM »

No. The Confederacy was a state that could only have been conceived of by Americans, one that attempted to preserve what Southerners thought best about the US before its 'corruption'. That's the attitude that's still present in the South.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies