State by State Favorites: South Dakota
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:11:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  State by State Favorites: South Dakota
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Take your pick...
John Thune (R)

Bill Janklow (R)

George S. Mickelson (R)

Tom Daschle (D)

Karl Mundt (R)

James Abdnor (R)

Ben Reifel (R)

George McGovern (D)

Mike Rounds (R)

Frank Denholm (D)

Archie Gubrud (R)

Richard F. Kneip (D)

Larry Pressler (R)

Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin (D)

Ralph Herseth (D)

Tim Johnson (D)

Walter Dale Miller (R)

Ellis Yarnell Berry (R)

Nils Boe (R)

James Abourezk (D)

Other (Specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: State by State Favorites: South Dakota  (Read 1834 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2009, 09:57:10 AM »

McGovern for me, because he is such a nice man and his political views line up just fine with this liberal. One hell of a war hero, too!

With an honorable mention for Senator Larry Pressler and Congressman Ben Reifel, two fine Republicans.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 10:02:37 AM »

John Thune.
One of my favorite Republican Senators.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 10:13:32 AM »

John Thune.

Why?  Just curious...
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 10:15:26 AM »

John Thune.

Why?  Just curious...
Impression. He seems very genuine. Someone who actually wants to help America, and isn't just there for the fame. Would I vote for him in the Republican Primary? Probably not. There are a lot of people that would do a much better job. But I still like him.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 10:17:51 AM »

McGovern
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 10:22:22 AM »

John Thune.

Why?  Just curious...
Impression. He seems very genuine. Someone who actually wants to help America, and isn't just there for the fame. Would I vote for him in the Republican Primary? Probably not. There are a lot of people that would do a much better job. But I still like him.

I think he has the potential to keep the conservative base intact without scaring moderate Republicans.  He seems to believe some pretty awful things (in this liberal's view) but unlike Senator Tom Coburn and some others, he comes across with a smile.  Mike Pence is similar.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 10:24:09 AM »

Tim Johnson.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 10:30:13 AM »

Thune is actually my favorite hard-core conservative in the senate.

But, of course, I voted for George McGovern.  Millions of children are fed a nutritious lunch in third world countries because of legislation he helped pass, and through his efforts as JFK's Food for Peace administrator.  He was a prophetic voice during the Vietnam War ('prophetic' in both the predictive sense and the sense of speaking difficult truths to God's people), even having the courage to tell the senators that "This chamber reeks of blood."

McGovern is, at the end of the day, the culmination of the social gospel ethic in American politics.  Quibble with its theology all you want, but it has produced tangible, and deeply humane, results.

He did lose a presidential election very badly indeed, due to a combination of a poor choice of running mate, running to the left of the American mainstream, and Nixonian trickery.  But his campaign in 1972 was, in many senses, the first conducted under the auspices the contemporary primary system- where nearly every state has a primary, and voters, rather than party bosses and delegates hand-picked by governors, selected the nominee.  What we saw in 2008 only exemplifies the endurance of this system.  

For what its worth, I also like Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin, who I believe will be on a national ticket sometime in the next 20 years.  And kudos to Jim Abourezk, a crusty fellow who only ran for one senate term, and spent it pissing off Nixon, Ford, and Carter.  
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 10:32:29 AM »

John Thune.

Why?  Just curious...

I think he has the potential to keep the conservative base intact without scaring moderate Republicans.  He seems to believe some pretty awful things (in this liberal's view) but unlike Senator Tom Coburn and some others, he comes across with a smile.  Mike Pence is similar.

Exactly- the genius of a John Thune candidacy is that he can keep both the free marketeers and the Christian right in the same tent.  Unlike someone like John McCain, Thune is much more at ease talking about his faith, and might undo some of the inroads Obama made among evangelicals.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 10:52:42 AM »

John Thune.

Why?  Just curious...

Yeah, he would make a fine VP choice for like, Romney or Crist.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 11:13:43 AM »

Toss up between Thune and Rounds. I went with Thune because he beat Daschle. Wow, I sound like my Dad. He would go on for weeks after the 2004 election about Daschle's defeat. He couldn't stand him.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 12:37:54 PM »

John Thune. A gifted ans talented young man.

And honorable mentions to My fellow Pro-Lifer Mike Rounds and My favorite democrat in congress Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 07:51:10 PM »

This one was very hard to choose. I picked Thune but I also like Rounds just as much. I hope Rounds runs for the Senate in 2014. We could really use the seat and I think he would be a great conservative voice there. He probablt prefers the executive though. I like Pressler and Abnor but not as much. Janklow was a great guy untill he decided to drink and drive.
J.G.H.
Zeus
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 10:38:52 PM »

This one was very hard to choose. I picked Thune but I also like Rounds just as much. I hope Rounds runs for the Senate in 2014. We could really use the seat and I think he would be a great conservative voice there. He probablt prefers the executive though. I like Pressler and Abnor but not as much. Janklow was a great guy untill he decided to drink and drive.

He didn't drink and drive, he was just speeding and ran a stop sign, killing a motorcyclist. Supposedly he was having a diabetic attack or reaction or whatever one calls it, though.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 10:41:30 PM »

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 04:50:32 PM »

He didn't drink and drive, he was just speeding and ran a stop sign, killing a motorcyclist. Supposedly he was having a diabetic attack or reaction or whatever one calls it, though.

I heard that he was drunk. It doesn't change what happened though so it doesn't matter.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 09:10:32 PM »

James Abdnor (R)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 03:10:17 PM »

George McGovern was one of the best and most modest senators in US history.

For all those that still believe the caricature Nixon peddled, I suggest reading the following article.

http://www.amconmag.com/article/2006/jan/30/00012/
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »

George McGovern, even though I disagree with some of his policies.  He seemed the most genuine and the most anti-establishment.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies