How do certain sports fans vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:44:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  How do certain sports fans vote?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: How do certain sports fans vote?  (Read 19361 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2011, 03:42:22 PM »

Which fan base do you think is more Republican? Giants or Jets? 49ers or Raiders? Yankees or Mets?
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2011, 06:05:31 PM »

Which fan base do you think is more Republican? Giants or Jets? 49ers or Raiders? Yankees or Mets?

Giants

Raiders

Yankees
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2011, 04:12:52 AM »

Giants

Raiders

Yankees

I would actually guess that the Jets and Mets are more likely to be Republican.  If you take a look at the geographic distribution of Giants vs. Jets fans and Yankees vs. Mets fans (and the two splits are very similar), the Jets/Mets have more of a base in Long Island, whereas the Giants/Yankees dominate Manhattan, Westchester and north.  (New Jersey, where I grew up, is more of a mix, with the Giants and Yankees dominating but not by that much).  And LI seems to me more blue-collar and swingy than Manhattan/Westchester, which is solid liberal even in the rich parts. 

Also, for Giants vs. Jets another thing to keep in mind is that in addition to geography age is a factor.  The really old folks are Giants fans, because that's all there was.  A lot of the younger Boomers, a really conservative demographic, came of age when the Giants were horrible and the Jets had won more recently (SB III), so they're more likely to be Jets fans.  But then you have my generation, which grew up with the Bill Parcells glory years (or just past them) and became Giants fans- and we're one of the more liberal cohorts. 

Okay, maybe I'm assuming that Giants fans are more liberal because I'm a liberal and a Giants fan and I'm just projecting.  But I really think the analysis holds.

I think you're definitely right that the Raiders have more conservative fans, though.

I agree with the general sentiment that sports fans, in general, are going to be more conservative than the population at large, for many reasons.  Even hockey, which might be popular in the colder "blue" cities, because its fanbase is also much whiter than that of most sports.   And college sports fans are way, way, more conservative than pro sports fans, because of the urban/rural divide, appeals to "tradition", and historic base in the South.  The average football fan is definitely conservative, but the NFL is almost even, and found almost everywhere, whereas college football is probably about as Republican as golf, and as ignored in the Northeast as NASCAR.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2011, 04:32:07 AM »

Good first post! Stick around here. Smiley

P.S. liberal Jets fan right here.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2011, 05:11:48 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2012, 10:41:23 PM by DFL »

Red Wings or Tigers?

traininthedistance, do you think that most sports fans conservative because they tend to be white males or is it because of the jock culture in sports?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2011, 10:44:22 PM »

What about these teams?

Bruins or Patriots?

Red Wings or Tigers?

traininthedistance, do you think that most sports fans conservative because they tend to be white males or is it because of the jock culture in sports?

A little bit of both, but mainly the first.  Men follow sports more than women do; men are more conservative as a whole; that would be sufficient to account for much of the disparity right there.  There are cultural factors beyond that, though: a lot of sports, or at least sports as they're presented in the media, tend to be suffused with the sorts of values and behaviors (conventional masculinity, showy patriotism, military metaphors) more associated with conservatives. A lot of players tend to be really openly religious, as well.  On the flip side, you also definitely have some liberals who have negative associations with sports in general because they consider it conformist, consumerist, and (hopefully this is getting better over time) homophobic.  It's more complicated that just "jock culture", but "culture" in general is definitely a factor.

I have no idea on Bruins v. Patriots or Red Wings v. Tigers.  If I had to guess, I'd say that the Red Wings are more conservative than the Tigers because hockey's fan base is probably the whitest of the big four team sports, but I could be off base regarding hockey culture, about which I know little.  I'm not sure this analysis holds in New England, though, because that area of the country is just so white, and has a much more liberal white population, that any such effect would be minimal.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that the sports league whose American fanbase is most likely to be full of white liberals is the EPL.
Indy Prez
United Kingdom

« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2011, 03:39:26 PM »

American Football is the sport which best reflects the competitive three-branches US government

ergo, our current situation

Offense (House)
Defense (President)
Specials (Senate)

I'd call it a swing-sport
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2012, 09:59:08 PM »

American Football is the sport which best reflects the competitive three-branches US government

ergo, our current situation

Offense (House)
Defense (President)
Specials (Senate)

I'd call it a swing-sport

LOL
Guderian

« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2012, 04:33:07 PM by Guderian »

Yankees v. Mets

I agree that geography tells us that Mets fans are probably more Republican. But something tells me that it's much closer than you might think at first. I know 3-4 NYC Jews (Democrats, of course), all of them Mets fans. Apparently, Jews supported (overwhelmingly) Brooklyn Dodgers and remained NL fans when Mets franchise was founded. There is ton of celebrity Jewish Mets fans - Philip Roth, Jerry Seinfeld, Elena Kagan and many other I can't remember right now. OTOH, every Italian I have met from NY metro area is a Yankee fan and I think most of them are Republicans or at least right-leaning.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2012, 10:40:13 PM »

Gianrs or Patriots?

Which team has the more liberal fan base out of the two?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2012, 01:32:23 AM »

Gianrs or Patriots?

PPP did a national poll asking this question, I'm sure the crosstabs could tell us.
Vermin Supreme
Henry Clay

« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2012, 04:44:11 PM »

I'm a die hard fan of skateboarding and surfing,  my guess on how they vote would probably be strong Democratic-Indie voting patterns with the rest not voting or caring at all.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2012, 09:45:20 PM »

College Football: strongly Republican (fans likely have a college degree from a large state school, live in the South or the Midwest - all things that point to voting Republican)

NFL Football: leans Republican (largely reflects the makeup of a given city's fanbase: i.e. Dallas Cowboys fans are probably more Republican than Detroit Lions fans)

College Basketball: strong Democratic (basketball schools tend to be situated along the East Coast, basketball's general fanbase is disproportionately African-American)

NBA Basketball: strong Democratic (NBA viewership is heavily non-white)

Baseball: 50/50 split (fanbase tends to be whiter and more affluent, but you also have huge followings in liberal cities like Boston and NYC)

Hockey: leans Democratic (basically a Rust Belt/Upper Midwest sport; overwhelmingly white, leans toward middle- and working-class)

Golf: strong Republican (older, upscale white male fanbase)

Tennis: leans Republican (upscale white following)

MMA: 50/50 split (18-35yo male following; primarily white & Hispanic fanbase; lower end up the spectrum as far as income and education levels)

NASCAR: strong Republican (Southern, rural white fanbase)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2012, 09:50:42 PM »

Bush won the election at Wrigley Field in 2004 over Kerry. The fans voted as they entered the gates.

Well I'd assume Bush would have won the fans who could afford to buy tickets to the actual game as opposed to those watching at home.
Vermin Supreme
Henry Clay

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2012, 05:30:58 PM »

I'm a die hard fan of skateboarding and surfing,  my guess on how they vote would probably be strong Democratic-Indie voting patterns with the rest not voting or caring at all.

Anyone got any clue on this demographic?
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2012, 09:00:08 PM »

Anyone got any clue on this demographic?

Democrats.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2012, 02:19:06 PM »

Okay, the Giants now definitely have the more liberal fanbase, now that the Jets have traded for Tim "who needs to complete 50 percent of your passes when you have Jesus" Tebow.  A lot of born-agains all over the country just became Jets fans, and I wouldn't be surprised if a few liberal Jets fans switched teams to Jersey/A.

Gianrs or Patriots?

I honestly have no idea!  New England is probably a little more liberal than the NY metro area, but the Pats also have a national fanbase because they've been so good for the past decade.  Both teams are going to have more conservative fanbases than the metro area as a whole, but I suspect without much concrete evidence that the disparity is greater for the Pats.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2012, 03:31:50 PM »

Okay, the Giants now definitely have the more liberal fanbase, now that the Jets have traded for Tim "who needs to complete 50 percent of your passes when you have Jesus" Tebow.  A lot of born-agains all over the country just became Jets fans, and I wouldn't be surprised if a few liberal Jets fans switched teams to Jersey/A.

Gianrs or Patriots?

I honestly have no idea!  New England is probably a little more liberal than the NY metro area, but the Pats also have a national fanbase because they've been so good for the past decade.  Both teams are going to have more conservative fanbases than the metro area as a whole, but I suspect without much concrete evidence that the disparity is greater for the Pats.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/55918/tebow-time-hits-snag-in-new-york

Never mind what I just said!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies