Gregg/Rounds v. Obama/Biden
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:55:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Gregg/Rounds v. Obama/Biden
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gregg/Rounds v. Obama/Biden  (Read 930 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:03:40 PM »

Presuming Gregg wins re-election comfortably and pulls off a primary victory (moderates like him and social conservatives tolerate him reasonably well on the basis of his 0% favorable rating by NARAL and 75% favorable rating by Right to Life)...

He chooses Mike Rounds to shore up the social conservatives.

Does Gregg's momentary dalliance with a place in the Obama cabinet help him across party lines?  Does it help him with the GOP base because he rejected Obama's offer?  Is that just so much ancient history by 2012?

Feel free to add maps and presume a great, average or poor Obama Presidency...
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:09:42 PM »

Gregg is probably the least inspirational candidate possible.  He's bored to death every time I see him.  Obama wins 450+ electoral votes.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:22:26 PM »

Gregg is probably the least inspirational candidate possible.  He's bored to death every time I see him.  Obama wins 450+ electoral votes.

I have to be honest and admit, I have done a fair amount of reading of things Gregg has written but I have never heard him speak...in the Senate or on the stump.

He strikes me as a Republican Obama, in that he is quite an intelligent, hard working and serious man. But I certainly concede that none of those attributes translate into national electability.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:30:19 PM »

This video here will give you a good idea of why Gregg is leaving the senate at such a young age (he's responding to Sanders):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JIqKM-8qCE
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 08:54:28 AM »

I was kind of hoping to hear from Torie or Nutmeg on this one.  Torie, because he is a Gregg fan.  Nut, because I believe he lives in NH.  Or am I thinking of Scoonie?

Anyway -- thanks for the input thus far. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 10:20:58 PM »

I was kind of hoping to hear from Torie or Nutmeg on this one.  Torie, because he is a Gregg fan.  Nut, because I believe he lives in NH.  Or am I thinking of Scoonie?

Anyway -- thanks for the input thus far. 

It all depends on whether voters continue to repose confidence in Obama's judgment. If they do, then he is home free. If however, his policies lead to problems, were oversold as effecting "fixes" when in fact what they lead to were more problems, if his fiscal numbers don't pencil, if all of this printing of money when its velocity picks up leads to irksome inflation, and the special interests resist giving up the money they got going forward for stimulus purposes, then Gregg is the perfect antidote, because folks will come to understand that he has good judgment, and is a reasonable tack.

So events could make the quest Quixotic, or be an exercise in a sharp knife cutting through what over time could become soft Obama butter. And I have no idea, none, which is more likely really, and anyone who thinks they do, may think they know more than they in fact do. Either that, or their perspicacity far surpasses my pathetic efforts at it.

So there. I pounded out over a hundred words, saying very little. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies