CA Gov race (2010)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:52:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA Gov race (2010)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: CA Gov race (2010)  (Read 8469 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 11:52:17 AM »

This race will be a stronghold for democrats.

This is the only race in 2010 when I'll be  agianest the GOP. Arnie has made it clear that the Cali GOP is useless.

Roll Eyes

You're right, the California GOP has made it clear that the California GOP is useless.

Exactly. The California Democratic politicians haven't been that great, but at least they aren't a band of extremists bent on destroying the state. The Republicans are opposed to even increasing the oil extraction fees to that of Alaska. What a bunch of crazies.

Thats because Alaska distributes a lot of money each year to its citizens. In CA it would just go to fund a state Gov't that has grown too large.

Too large?

Do you have any idea what exactly the Republican Party wants trimmed from government?

"Wasteful spending"
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 05:15:15 PM »

This is the only race in 2010 when I'll be  agianest the GOP. Arnie has made it clear that the Cali GOP is useless.

Roll Eyes

You're right, the California GOP has made it clear that the California GOP is useless.

Exactly. The California Democratic politicians haven't been that great, but at least they aren't a band of extremists bent on destroying the state. The Republicans are opposed to even increasing the oil extraction fees to that of Alaska. What a bunch of crazies.

Thats because Alaska distributes a lot of money each year to its citizens. In CA it would just go to fund a state Gov't that has grown too large.

Too large?

Do you have any idea what exactly the Republican Party wants trimmed from government?

CA really doesn't have a choice. You can't let citizens dictate new spending proposals and not include ways to properly finance them in the same initiative. Putting them up separately ensures the new spending passes and the new funding doesn't. As for the legislature they are just as guilty of this for trying to cover the gaps with bandaides and pretend everything is fine. I am sorry to all my California friends but your state is f**ked. The sooner the big gov't tree hugger Dems realise this, the sooner California can make the reforms necessary to recover, whether it be changing the Constitution to prevent intiative forced unfunded mandates, cutting back severely in all gov't programs both good and bad, and keeping taxes from going up as much as humanely possible, but excepting some tax cuts as necessary after all possible cuts are made but avoid hiking the sales tax except on thinks like Tobacco and alcohol, etc. California needs grown ups in Sacremento and fast.

Changing the Constitution is a good idea.

Trimming a government that is "too big" by cutting education, healthcare and parks is not.

The Republican Party has no intention of doing the former*; its intransigence results in the latter.

*Neither do the Democrats, so far as I've seen, but that's not quite relevant.

While I agree those cuts are very unappealing, CA is getting close to a position where it really doesn't matter. As for your other point, I have already stated that the CA GOP is completely worthless and as such there are no viable alternatives. There are two groups in the CA GOP one is represented by Arnold, and is part of the problem. The other is represented by Tom McClintock but it is unfortunately far to conservative on social issues, the environment and yes even on spending/taxes to win statewide.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 05:21:38 PM »

Roll Eyes

Too large?

"Wasteful spending"

I do not classify as wasteful, in fact some of it is downright impossible not to have. The trouble is CA is at a point where the only thing that can save it is to start amputating arms and legs. Hence the following:

Why the heck would anyone want to run California?

THe ultimate question.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »

I think we can all agree, however, that regardless of state, direct democracy often returns the same crap representative democracy does, but without the necessary scapegoat to allow for recompence.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 10:14:19 PM »

Why the heck would anyone want to run California?

Bingo.  You've heard me refer to this race as the equivalent of campaigning for captain of the Titanic.

Titanic?  Whenever I think of California, I think of the Enola Gay flying over Hiroshima.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies