Mark Sanford goes missing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:01:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mark Sanford goes missing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: Mark Sanford goes missing  (Read 15381 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: June 24, 2009, 07:20:53 PM »

Releasing personal e-mails is quite unnecessary.

yeah, I feel for him on that aspect of it
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #151 on: June 24, 2009, 07:37:27 PM »

Wow
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #152 on: June 24, 2009, 08:08:58 PM »

so is Governor Nimrata Haley a real possibility?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #153 on: June 24, 2009, 08:54:23 PM »

so is Governor Nimrata Haley a real possibility?

Governor Nikki Haley was never a possibility.  At most she'd have gained some name recognition and backing for a run for State Senator in 2012.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #154 on: June 24, 2009, 09:20:32 PM »

He gave the very reason why I feel he should resign from office.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2009, 09:22:41 PM »

This is so amusing. It's not just that he had an affair but that he was so bad at it. Hahahaha.

Amusing how yet another GOP savior bite the dust.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #156 on: June 25, 2009, 12:14:07 AM »

Please don't. If he resigns, then Lt. Governor Andre Bauer becomes our governor. He's been caught with cocaine and two DUIs, I believe. We can do without him. I won't lose sleep at night knowing Sanford had an affair, but I might if Bauer becomes out Governor.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #157 on: June 25, 2009, 12:19:02 AM »

This joke voted for 3 of the 4 articles of impeachment.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2009, 03:52:18 AM »

Yeah, that's the explanation that makes the most sense.

Sanford, fed up with politics we can imagine, was being called on by Paulites to run a primary he wouldn't win to earn the chance at a general election he wouldn't win so he could fight legislative battles he wouldn't win.  Must have sounded fun.  He sees Ensign get crossed off the 2012 list by admitting an affair, then immediately goes on a trip that has no plausible outcome other than an Ensign-like admission and the end of 2012 talk about him.
Either this...or he is a complete idiot.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #159 on: June 25, 2009, 03:57:39 AM »

Probably.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #160 on: June 25, 2009, 04:06:59 AM »

Yeah, that's the explanation that makes the most sense.

Sanford, fed up with politics we can imagine, was being called on by Paulites to run a primary he wouldn't win to earn the chance at a general election he wouldn't win so he could fight legislative battles he wouldn't win.  Must have sounded fun.  He sees Ensign get crossed off the 2012 list by admitting an affair, then immediately goes on a trip that has no plausible outcome other than an Ensign-like admission and the end of 2012 talk about him.

I think the third option is most likely: he had an emotional breakdown
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2009, 11:14:27 AM »

This joke voted for 3 of the 4 articles of impeachment.

Wait and see if he resigns.  I think he will.

Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2009, 01:12:22 PM »

Utterly unsurprising. Once again the holy-rolling hypocrites and moralistic monsters of the nation prove to the world how utterly bankrupt they are morally, and how fragile their ideology is when it's used as a Band-Aid to cover up their own failings. Let Sanford, Ensign, Gingrich, etc. rot in the holy hell they've called down upon us authentic, self-admitted immoralists.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #163 on: June 27, 2009, 07:16:20 AM »

Btw, here is an additional 2012 angle: CQ Politics notes that Sanford's Lt. gov, Andre Bauer, endorsed Huckabee for president in 2008:

http://blogs.cqpolitics.com/in_the_right/2009/06/sanfords-implosion-an-opportun.html

If Sanford does resign before his term is up (as many now think is likely), Bauer becomes the incumbent governor in 2010, and will have a leg up on reelection.  Since Bauer has endorsed Huckabee before, there's a good chance he'd do it again.  Having the governor's endorsement would give Huck a leg up in the always closely watched SC primary.

Then again, past endorsement is no guarantee of future endorsement.  Sanford himself went from backing McCain in 2000 to remaining neutral in 2008.

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #164 on: June 27, 2009, 11:28:08 AM »

I do not want Bauer to be the governor of this state, period. For that reason alone, I hope Sanford does not resign. If he does run for governor in 2010, I'll most likely vote Democrat.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #165 on: June 27, 2009, 11:50:09 AM »

Michael Jackson being back in the news has helped Sanford quite a bit. I hear he's now asking critics, "What's wrong with sharing your bed? The most loving thing to do is to share your bed with someone...You're making this sexual. It's not sexual."

Do you get any more family values than that?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #166 on: June 27, 2009, 12:22:07 PM »

Michael Jackson being back in the news has helped Sanford quite a bit. I hear he's now asking critics, "What's wrong with sharing your bed? The most loving thing to do is to share your bed with someone...You're making this sexual. It's not sexual."

Do you get any more family values than that?

That woman must have been reeeeeally good. Look what else Mr. Fiscal Conservative did just to get near her:

http://dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/6/27/747471/-Argentina-added-to-trade-mission-at-Sanfords-request
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #167 on: June 27, 2009, 07:12:28 PM »

Utterly unsurprising. Once again the holy-rolling hypocrites and moralistic monsters of the nation prove to the world how utterly bankrupt they are morally, and how fragile their ideology is when it's used as a Band-Aid to cover up their own failings. Let Sanford, Ensign, Gingrich, etc. rot in the holy hell they've called down upon us authentic, self-admitted immoralists.

I never perceived him as a "holy roller" or a moralist.  In fact, I assumed Sanford was your type of Republican, Einzige. 
Btw, here is an additional 2012 angle: CQ Politics notes that Sanford's Lt. gov, Andre Bauer, endorsed Huckabee for president in 2008:

http://blogs.cqpolitics.com/in_the_right/2009/06/sanfords-implosion-an-opportun.html

If Sanford does resign before his term is up (as many now think is likely), Bauer becomes the incumbent governor in 2010, and will have a leg up on reelection.  Since Bauer has endorsed Huckabee before, there's a good chance he'd do it again.  Having the governor's endorsement would give Huck a leg up in the always closely watched SC primary.

Very interesting.

Even if he doesn't resign, might Bauer's endorsement hold more weight than Sanford's at this point?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #168 on: June 27, 2009, 08:51:05 PM »

Even if he doesn't resign, might Bauer's endorsement hold more weight than Sanford's at this point?

At this point endorsements don't matter at all; neither does Sanford.  Depends entirely on whether Bauer manages to win the Governor's race against McMaster and Barrett.  If Bauer loses, which I devoutly hope, he's toast and his endorsement is unlikely to sway anybody in 2012.  While he and Sanford have not gotten along well, both have used the same fresh young blood theme to their advantage, a theme I expect will not play well in 2010.

Bauer might be able to garner enough votes to make the runoff, but I don't think he'll win it, though he does possess the advantage that voters can be confident he won't cheat on his wife, since he doesn't have one while both McMaster and Barrett do.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2009, 10:55:15 PM »

Maria Chapur Acknowledges Affair With Sanford (w/ image)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/28/maria-chapur-speaks-argen_n_222049.html
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies