Sarkozy = Idiot
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:31:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Sarkozy = Idiot
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Sarkozy = Idiot  (Read 14370 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2009, 01:53:30 PM »

He wants to officially ban burqas now.

I don't like burqas either, Nick, but enough with this nonsense of burqas will "not be welcome" in your country because you're "Pro woman."
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 01:56:07 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2009, 01:59:27 PM by phknrocket1k »

Sarkozy is a freedom fighter for this. But hijabs and Islamic dress codes should be banned and criminalized in general.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 01:57:26 PM »

I understand the sentiment...but it's a terrible idea.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:58:44 PM »

Sarkozy is a freedom fighter for this.

Yeah, a real big FF.  Roll Eyes

What about the women who actually want to wear a burqa?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 02:00:30 PM »

Sarkozy should better confront the root of this evil first and stop the entering of these people in the first place. How about nuking Afghanistan or Pakistan ? Less fundies, less burkas.

I agree with Phil on this. Freedom of clothing all the way !
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 02:01:06 PM »

Shouldn't be allowed into Europe.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 02:01:53 PM »

Shouldn't be allowed into Europe.

Yeah, there's a healthy dose of freedom for you.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 02:03:38 PM »

Neoconservatives have always loved freedom Roll Eyes
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 02:04:32 PM »

He wants to officially ban burqas now.

I don't like burqas either, Nick, but enough with this nonsense of burqas will "not be welcome" in your country because you're "Pro woman."
If you don't ban burqas, they will be imposed on Islamic women by their relatives and by community pressure. This greatly exacerbate the alienation and isolation of Muslims from the native population, contributing to the lack of integration and ethnic tensions. Muslims men often act abusive against non-muslim women because they're not covered. Would this happen to such extent if headscarves were banned.
This is a step in the right direction. In my opinion, Islamic clothing should be restricted in the West. If the Muslims don't like it, tough for them. It's not if most Islamic countries permit non-Muslims permit to dress like they want.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 02:07:39 PM »

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

If you don't ban burqas, they will be imposed on Islamic women by their relatives and by community pressure. This greatly exacerbate the alienation and isolation of Muslims from the native population, contributing to the lack of integration and ethnic tensions. Muslims men often act abusive against non-muslim women because they're not covered. Would this happen to such extent if headscarves were banned.

Again, what about women who really want to wear burqas?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Great reasoning.

And that doesn't suddenly make this right.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 02:09:16 PM »

That was directed at phknrocket. You know...the kind of guy that goes on and on about freedom in the West and then tries to limit personal freedom with stuff like this.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 02:10:31 PM »

That was directed at phknrocket. You know...the kind of guy that goes on and on about freedom in the West and then tries to limit personal freedom with stuff like this.

Oh, ok. I was going to say, "Why the hell is that directed at me?"  Tongue
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 02:16:31 PM »

Iv never claimed to be neocon but as a former Muslim. I do support Sarko.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 02:18:09 PM »

I'm calling you a neocon...Wink
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 02:21:10 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2009, 02:25:05 PM by phknrocket1k »

I'm calling you a neocon...Wink

Nice and I'll call you a vile child rapist.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 02:25:09 PM »

With the typical structure of the Islamic family and with the isolation and strong group pressure in their communities, it's virtually impossible to tell them apart from those who have burqas forced upon them. So it's better to be on the safe side.

Great reasoning.

And that doesn't suddenly make this right.
I'm just saying that they have little grounds from complaining, considering the very limited rights minorities have in most of their home countries. Also if their clothing contributes to their isolation and to hostility with the majority, which has very negative social effects, the public good should take priority over the wishes of some Muslims to impose their way of life in another country.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 02:46:46 PM »

With the typical structure of the Islamic family and with the isolation and strong group pressure in their communities, it's virtually impossible to tell them apart from those who have burqas forced upon them. So it's better to be on the safe side.

The "safe side" just happens to be your personal opinion and that's not fair to any Muslim woman.

But I'm not talking about foreign governments; I'm talking about the Muslims in France rightfully complaining.

What?

So now we have to outlaw anything that adds to "hostility with the majority?" This cannot be serious.

I find this absolutely mind boggling that you, of all people, are now going to talk about "the public good" (which really isn't affected by burqa wearing) vs. minority interests. You are literally defending xenophobia in the law.

Imagine if I complained about a minority group "imposing their way of life" on people in my country! Imagine if I just complained about it and now compare it to someone like yourself who wants to outlaw their customs.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 04:03:07 PM »

The "safe side" just happens to be your personal opinion and that's not fair to any Muslim woman.
Are you denying the fact that many women are forced to wear burqas, sometimes even non-Muslims in predominantly Muslim areas?

But I'm not talking about foreign governments; I'm talking about the Muslims in France rightfully complaining.
Actually, often the same governments that give little rights to minorities are the most vocal protesters and I would say that for those countries' citizens to protest is hypocritical.

What?

So now we have to outlaw anything that adds to "hostility with the majority?" This cannot be serious.

I find this absolutely mind boggling that you, of all people, are now going to talk about "the public good" (which really isn't affected by burqa wearing) vs. minority interests. You are literally defending xenophobia in the law.

Imagine if I complained about a minority group "imposing their way of life" on people in my country! Imagine if I just complained about it and now compare it to someone like yourself who wants to outlaw their customs.
Have I ever defended the anti-social expressions of a minority? The wearing of burqas is antisocial and threatening to the public good. It places pressure on other women to wear burqas, increases disempowerment of the women who wear them, isolate Muslims from the wider community and generate tension and conflict.
There is a reasonable difference between a minority expressing a culture and a minority which seeks to dominate or at least strongly influence the dominant culture. The wearing of burqas in Western countries crosses that line, in my opinion.
By the way, Italy has actually banned the wearing of burqas, since 2005:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article6557252.ece
Haven't seen you protesting that, though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 05:07:19 PM »

Are you denying the fact that many women are forced to wear burqas, sometimes even non-Muslims in predominantly Muslim areas?

I'm not denying that but I don't think they should be outlawed when a good amount of Muslims want to wear them.

If a non-Muslim in France is being forced to wear one, they can request legal action.

I totally agree. That's not the debate here.

So now anything you deem "anti-social" has to be outlawed? Uh...

I have another idea: let's ban "housewives."

Wearing a burqa is strongly dominating? Wearing a burqa in a Western country "crosses that line" only because you say so.

Next time, don't complain when xenophobic nationalists from Western Europe want to write laws that keep out a bunch of poor, uneducated, dirty Eastern Europeans from entering their country. They're just prevent "strong influence" on their dominant culture, after all.  Roll Eyes

That's because I never knew about it. That's disgusting. I don't know why some people insist on throwing these types of situations in my face. You can call me a lot of things but I'm not a hypocrite. Do you really expect me to say that it's ok that Italy does this? I just never knew it happened.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 05:28:15 PM »

I think I have a vague idea of where you're coming from, but understand that you're in Bulgaria.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 10:34:05 PM »

Actually, often the same governments that give little rights to minorities are the most vocal protesters and I would say that for those countries' citizens to protest is hypocritical.

What?

Have I ever defended the anti-social expressions of a minority? The wearing of burqas is antisocial and threatening to the public good. It places pressure on other women to wear burqas, increases disempowerment of the women who wear them, isolate Muslims from the wider community and generate tension and conflict.
There is a reasonable difference between a minority expressing a culture and a minority which seeks to dominate or at least strongly influence the dominant culture. The wearing of burqas in Western countries crosses that line, in my opinion.
By the way, Italy has actually banned the wearing of burqas, since 2005:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article6557252.ece
Haven't seen you protesting that, though.

First of all your correct observation that non muslims are made to wear burqas in places like Saudi Arabia is not relevant in the west. You seriously think some muslims, who are heavily in the minority, are going to force some westerner (frenchwoman in this case) to wear a burqa? Uhh....wow.

Also how is a burqa antisocial? I personally don't like them one bit, but if a woman wants to wear it she should be able to. If she is being forced to wear one she would have a right to complain and would be heard in the west.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 12:49:53 AM »

I'm not denying that but I don't think they should be outlawed when a good amount of Muslims want to wear them.

If a non-Muslim in France is being forced to wear one, they can request legal action.
Did you read the part about the Muslim family structure or the strong group pressure within their communities? I don't think that many would complain.

So now anything you deem "anti-social" has to be outlawed? Uh...

I have another idea: let's ban "housewives."
What do housewives have to do with this?

Wearing a burqa is strongly dominating? Wearing a burqa in a Western country "crosses that line" only because you say so.

Next time, don't complain when xenophobic nationalists from Western Europe want to write laws that keep out a bunch of poor, uneducated, dirty Eastern Europeans from entering their country. They're just prevent "strong influence" on their dominant culture, after all.  Roll Eyes
With some exceptions, Eastern European immigrants to Western Europe seek to integrate into society and don't attempt to behave as if they're ruling the countriesthey're immigrating into. I would say they integrate too well, considering their rapid assimilation rate.
The problem with the Muslim immigrants is not that they're poor and uneducated, but their attitude that they're superior over non-Muslims (dhimmis) and that the latter should accommodate them. I'm not saying that all think like that, but a significant part does and the attitude of many European governments doesn't help.

That's because I never knew about it. That's disgusting. I don't know why some people insist on throwing these types of situations in my face. You can call me a lot of things but I'm not a hypocrite. Do you really expect me to say that it's ok that Italy does this? I just never knew it happened.
Good for you, but here's another reason why burqas should be banned.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 12:53:27 AM »

First of all your correct observation that non muslims are made to wear burqas in places like Saudi Arabia is not relevant in the west. You seriously think some muslims, who are heavily in the minority, are going to force some westerner (frenchwoman in this case) to wear a burqa? Uhh....wow.

Also how is a burqa antisocial? I personally don't like them one bit, but if a woman wants to wear it she should be able to. If she is being forced to wear one she would have a right to complain and would be heard in the west.
There have been some cases, where non-women living in heavily Muslim areas to at least cover their heads to avoid constant abuse.

I think I have a vague idea of where you're coming from, but understand that you're in Bulgaria.
I don't understand you. What do you mean by that?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 01:15:38 AM »

Let's ban subservience, right?

So they're not allowed to practice what they believe because of this alleged superiority? We have to straighten them out, right?

GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 01:22:51 AM »

Being a housewive is being subservant? Didn't know you were a feminist, Phil.

So they're not allowed to practice what they believe because of this alleged superiority? We have to straighten them out, right?
It's not a good idea for the minority to think that they can order around the majority. It inevitably leads to conflict and negative consequences for all involved. I would say that this is pretty obvious.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies