Why did America age backwards the last 20 years? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:41:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why did America age backwards the last 20 years? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did America age backwards the last 20 years?  (Read 8342 times)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: June 24, 2009, 02:14:58 PM »

*sigh*

Naso, the median age now is much higher. That's because the Baby Boomers and Gen Xers are aging. If you bothered to look at the census you would see that the country is aging even with the high amount of people born in the 1980s. If it seems that the media focuses more on young people it's because those are the biggest consumers, although if you look at commercials lately you'll notice that a lot of the products are obviously geared towards middle aged people.

paradoxically, I think that's why society has begun to idolize youth so much more.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 03:46:50 PM »

*sigh*

Naso, the median age now is much higher. That's because the Baby Boomers and Gen Xers are aging. If you bothered to look at the census you would see that the country is aging even with the high amount of people born in the 1980s. If it seems that the media focuses more on young people it's because those are the biggest consumers, although if you look at commercials lately you'll notice that a lot of the products are obviously geared towards middle aged people.

paradoxically, I think that's why society has begun to idolize youth so much more.

It's just...I have been trying to figure out. It's universally known that Obama has done some things that Americans strongly disagree with. Even at my college, the majority of people were critical of him. Yet, polls show most Americans approve. Who are they?

Because most people regard him as a better president than his predecessor for one thing.

Reality television is universally hated by people, but millions and millions continue to watch. Who are those people watching if it is so universally hated?

Because it's an entertaining guilty pleasure

I can't understand...if all we see and hear is negativity about this stuff, but it keeps getting approved of and watched....what is the reason behind it? The answer to me, is young people, who may not be as thick into opinions as older people.

Or older people longing to relive their youth. The 60s were a fun time to be a teenager, that is if you could avoid being sent to Vietnam. The 70s and 80s were fun too. Of course, if you spent your time running around getting high and partying, you probably didn't focus too much on your educational and career goals, and as a result your life since then would have been pretty sub-par. People react to the disappointment in different ways: some by becoming religious, some by making extravagent purchases, and some by idolizing youth.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies