Would the Democrats gain or lose votes if they dropped gun control?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:25:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Would the Democrats gain or lose votes if they dropped gun control?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See above.
Gain

Lose

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Would the Democrats gain or lose votes if they dropped gun control?  (Read 1732 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2009, 02:58:03 PM »

I think it's pretty obvious.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 03:00:33 PM »

Not quite as obvious as you think, but yeah. Certainly compared to their 2004 showing.
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 03:27:52 PM »

maybe gain a few.  But they are so far to the left on family values, taxing and foreign polocy they can expect to loose votes in a major way next time around
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 03:28:45 PM »

maybe gain a few.  But they are so far to the left on family values, taxing and foreign polocy they can expect to loose votes in a major way next time around
What do you think about our economic and social polocy?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 03:34:07 PM »

Actually, as far as I'm concerned, the Democrats are to the Right of Republicans on social policy and foreign policy. After all, it isn't the Democrats that advocate government intervention in society and in foreign affairs.
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 03:39:18 PM »

Actually, as far as I'm concerned, the Democrats are to the Right of Republicans on social policy and foreign policy. After all, it isn't the Democrats that advocate government intervention in society and in foreign affairs.

Actually I understand what you are saying from a libertarian prespective.  The DemocRAT party does try to control every aspect of our lives with nanny state regulations.  That's pretty fascist your right.  But overall they are such economic leftists in addition to being anti life and anti family that you pretty much have to lump them in with the extreme left.

You make a very good point though.  In fact I would consider becoming a libertarian if they werent so strongly pro drugs and pro abortion.  I just wish the Constitution party gets a foothold.  Until it does I will have to be satesfied with being a republican.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 03:41:04 PM »

Actually I understand what you are saying from a libertarian prespective.  The DemocRAT party does try to control every aspect of our lives with nanny state regulations.  That's pretty fascist your right. 

Aside from little things that will never gain mass popular traction, like smoking bans and gun control? They are, by far, the more liberty-oriented Party. If forced to choose pragmatically between a Party that wants to take my nicotine and a Party that wants to take my right of self-ownership, I will choose the former every time.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 03:48:06 PM »

MASSIVE GAIN.

People would stop seeing Democrats as hypocrites when it comes to social freedoms. Republicans would lose the gun card on elections, thus losing a lot of the last minute votes they usually get.

However, pursuing a draconian policy on gun rights does help the economy, lol:
http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2009/02/25/fear-of-obama-drives-gun-stocks-higher.aspx
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 10:06:38 PM »

Gun Control, like Affirmitive Action is apart of the platform to cater to urban blacks.

They'd likely vote D either way so the D's stand to gain from adding rural whites to their membership base.
aspiderleftalone
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 10:10:30 PM »

I think it's tough to say they'd lose votes-those who vote Dem probably don't do so just for that reason.  Guns is only a big issue to pro-gunners..  I think dropping the gun issue would be especially potent here in Virginia (example: Deeds).

Personally I'd be disappointed but if the party dropped it off the platform it'd help.
Jacobtm

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 10:11:06 PM »

People are underestimating exactly how many people see gun control as a HUGE plus. Right or wrong, TONS of people think anyone who would even want to own a gun is a complete nut, and anyone who would advocate letting everyone own a gun is just asking for a bloodbath.

Problem is, those people would NEVER vote Republican, so the Dems can do whatever they want on guncontrol without worrying about losing those voters. As long as some Dems are vocal about it when they need to be, they're on lockdown.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 10:12:42 PM »

Gain, probably, but honestly not as much as some people here think. Democrats already don't make a big deal about gun control and have ceded a great deal of ground on that issue already. Nothing will really get rid of the stigma they already have on this issue, so dropping the issue any further than they already have will get them gains, just marginal ones.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 11:25:57 PM »

People are underestimating exactly how many people see gun control as a HUGE plus. Right or wrong, TONS of people think anyone who would even want to own a gun is a complete nut, and anyone who would advocate letting everyone own a gun is just asking for a bloodbath.

Problem is, those people would NEVER vote Republican, so the Dems can do whatever they want on guncontrol without worrying about losing those voters. As long as some Dems are vocal about it when they need to be, they're on lockdown.

Oh and the 100 million plus murdered by the State in the 20th century under gun control regimes doesn't count as a bloodbath? lol.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 11:44:47 PM »

how have they not already?  depending on how you are defining Democrats
Jacobtm

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 12:00:35 AM »

Oh and the 100 million plus murdered by the State in the 20th century under gun control regimes doesn't count as a bloodbath? lol.

I'm talking about what people think, not what reality is. When watches the evening news and hears about murders, that's what their mind focuses on.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 12:14:22 AM »

I'm talking about what people think, not what reality is. When watches the evening news and hears about murders, that's what their mind focuses on.

Oh right, dumbass on myself.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 10:59:24 AM »

This question should be "Will the Democrats gain or lose votes now that they have dropped gun control?"

So far the answer appears to be gain.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 01:36:01 PM »

This question should be "Will the Democrats gain or lose votes now that they have dropped gun control?"

So far the answer appears to be gain.

still doesn't prove a causal relationship
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies