Is Mitt Romney now the happiest guy in the world?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 02:04:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Is Mitt Romney now the happiest guy in the world?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is Mitt Romney now the happiest guy in the world?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Is Mitt Romney now the happiest guy in the world?  (Read 2183 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2009, 09:30:02 PM »

I'd say so.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 09:32:24 PM »

I doubt it.  There are other potential 2012 candidates that will have been boosted more by today's revelations.  But that's assuming that Sanford was actually going to run anyway, which isn't such a sure thing.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 09:47:37 PM »

Well, I guess in so far as, unlike Huckabee or Palin, Huntsman, Ensign and Sanford (the three Republicans who've recently "dropped out") would've actively competed with Romney for the voters who should be his base (Mormons, moderates, and non-religious-oriented conservatives). I don't think there were going to be a lot of voters undecided between Huckabee or Palin and Sanford or Ensign or Huntsman, as there's much less overlap there.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 09:59:40 PM »

Well, I guess in so far as, unlike Huckabee or Palin, Huntsman, Ensign and Sanford (the three Republicans who've recently "dropped out") would've actively competed with Romney for the voters who should be his base (Mormons, moderates, and non-religious-oriented conservatives). I don't think there were going to be a lot of voters undecided between Huckabee or Palin and Sanford or Ensign or Huntsman, as there's much less overlap there.

I would generally agree with you that as long as both Huck and Palin are propped up and every one else is pushed down, Romney is happy for the same reasons you state. Those three were all threats to Romney Ensign(Westerners, though Palin still competes with him for this block, but it definately locks up the not so religious yet conservatives westerners), Huntsmen(Mormons, Moderates), and Sanford(Moderates, Fiscal Conservatives, and Libertarian Republicans). Yes I would say that Mitt is ROTFLOL right now.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 10:11:47 PM »

I would generally agree with you that as long as both Huck and Palin are propped up and every one else is pushed down, Romney is happy for the same reasons you state. Those three were all threats to Romney Ensign(Westerners, though Palin still competes with him for this block, but it definately locks up the not so religious yet conservatives westerners), Huntsmen(Mormons, Moderates), and Sanford(Moderates, Fiscal Conservatives, and Libertarian Republicans). Yes I would say that Mitt is ROTFLOL right now.

The only foreseeable candidate left this far out that would compete with Romney's base is Pawlenty.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 10:14:49 PM »

The only foreseeable candidate left this far out that would compete with Romney's base is Pawlenty.

Don't worry, Romney will just get him into a Minneaspolis restroom with a cop on his payroll. Cheesy. No more Pawlenty.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 10:21:44 PM »

Sadly.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 10:22:18 PM »

Don't worry, Romney will just get him into a Minneaspolis restroom with a cop on his payroll. Cheesy. No more Pawlenty.

Good Plan! Grin
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 10:23:52 PM »

Why would he be? Mitt is a Mormon, you see. He probably has like eight wives in hiding.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 10:25:32 PM »

Why would he be? Mitt is a Mormon, you see. He probably has like eight wives in hiding.

Wow! look at the bigot from Pennsylvania. Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 10:30:48 PM »

I still fully expect that besides Palin and Huck, too other highly Conservative Republicans will run as well. This will also benefit Romney. Most Moderate or centrist candidates will see the writing on the wall and skip 2012 for 2016, with the possible exception of Pawlenty. Leaving Romney as the most Moderate candidate allowing him to sweep the northeast including PA against a split conservative vote and even he himself will cut out a large share of the conservative vote for himself.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 10:38:21 PM »

Am I the only one that thought Sanford was never going to run anyway?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 10:56:02 PM »

We aren't sure any of these people will run. But now we know for sure that neither Sanford noe Ensign will be running.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 10:57:20 PM »

I don't think Sanford was going to run and I don't think that he would've been higher than a second tier candidate, polling in single digits.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 11:07:25 PM »

Willard is certainly looking more now like a presumptive nominee than he did a few days ago.  But I continue to insist that Mike Huckabee is quite formidable.  Palin is really a non-starter.  She's accumulated enough stupid to rule her out already and look...we have four years to go.  More stupid is forthcoming from that tribe, I promise.

But was Sanford a serious threat?  Not really.  Just because bloggers talked about him and some conservatives hoped he would run doesn't mean he had any designs of that nature.  Regarding Sanford, I have always been guided by A.H. Duke's assessment...in part, because Sanford is his Governor and in part, because Duke has friends who are fairly close to the man. (Presumably, not Argentinians.)  Sanford has never really wanted the job, according to them. Take that for what it's worth.

Romney should look to Huckabee as his primary competition, with one eye on Pawlenty. On the back bench, he might want to keep track of John Thune.  But we can be reasonably confident that the GOP will not nominate a Presidential candidate who is a centrist.  Romney would be as close as they come and he is now very conservative.

Regardless, the primary will be great fun for those of us who enjoy this sort of thing.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 11:40:37 PM »

Willard is certainly looking more now like a presumptive nominee than he did a few days ago.  But I continue to insist that Mike Huckabee is quite formidable.  Palin is really a non-starter.  She's accumulated enough stupid to rule her out already and look...we have four years to go.  More stupid is forthcoming from that tribe, I promise.

But was Sanford a serious threat?  Not really.  Just because bloggers talked about him and some conservatives hoped he would run doesn't mean he had any designs of that nature.  Regarding Sanford, I have always been guided by A.H. Duke's assessment...in part, because Sanford is his Governor and in part, because Duke has friends who are fairly close to the man. (Presumably, not Argentinians.)  Sanford has never really wanted the job, according to them. Take that for what it's worth.

Romney should look to Huckabee as his primary competition, with one eye on Pawlenty. On the back bench, he might want to keep track of John Thune.  But we can be reasonably confident that the GOP will not nominate a Presidential candidate who is a centrist.  Romney would be as close as they come and he is now very conservative.

Regardless, the primary will be great fun for those of us who enjoy this sort of thing.

I think your assessment is correct. Thune is one of the few that could come out of no where and cause a lot of trouble for him, he even competes in the looks category. Pawlenty strikes me as someone who would struggle to rise out of the second tier, he is not a very motivating figure and I don't think he desires it that much. He certainly wants it more then Sanford did and we know for sure he will at least consider it now that he is out of the MN Governors race in 2010. But if he were to rise from the second tire it causes a lot of problems for Romney's electoral(or should I say delegate) math, hence my joke about the Minneapolis restroom. Smiley

Huck is still the main opponent and he is a dangerous one cause he has the populist anti-establishment thing going on for him. Huck will also benefit from a potential lock on the South especially if he continues to play the religion card and without Palin. With Palin some states become more competative like I could see a possible 40-30-30 split in favor of Romney in a State like Georgia based off strong perfromances in Atlanta and Savannah. Also going for Huck is the proposed calendar will give Huck and advantage.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 04:32:33 AM »

I suspect that Winfield bribed Obama to name Huntsman as ambassador to China, and also arranged extramarital affairs for Ensign and Sanford.  He is the most logical culprit.  Wink

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 04:43:59 AM »

You want to know the real reason why Mitt benefits the most from this?

Unlike Palin, he has a perfect and prototypical family life.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 04:53:25 AM »

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 05:09:45 AM »

jeeze, it's not like 2012 politics are all based around Iowa and New Hampshire head-to-head match-ups.

Some candidates will be receive more money, attention, organization, and behind-the-scenes stuff as a result of this.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 05:17:03 AM »

You want to know the real reason why Mitt benefits the most from this?

who's the black guy?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 05:19:27 AM »

Wow! look at the bigot from Pennsylvania. Smiley

I have that creep on "Ignore" for other offenses.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 05:20:57 AM »

Rob:  Shhhhh
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 08:46:45 AM »

jeeze, it's not like 2012 politics are all based around Iowa and New Hampshire head-to-head match-ups.

Some candidates will be receive more money, attention, organization, and behind-the-scenes stuff as a result of this.

Yes, also we know for sure now that neither Sanford nor Ensign will run unlike before when there was still the possibility however unlikely.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies