What FDR states are now totally unwinnable for the Dems?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:43:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What FDR states are now totally unwinnable for the Dems?  (Read 2375 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2009, 07:17:18 PM »

pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 07:25:10 PM »

Oklahoma, Alabama and Idaho.
bhouston79
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 07:43:50 PM »

I agree with you on Oklahoma and Idaho, at least for the time being.  However, I think that the Dems could take Alabama in a landslide election.  Obama lost Alabama 60 to 39, primarily because McCain won 88% of the white vote while Obama won only 10% of the same.  If Obama had have won 25% of the white vote in Alabama, the state would have become very competitive; and if he had have won just 30% of the white vote, he probably carries the state.  If Obama turns this economy around, look for Alabama and some of the other Southern states to be in play in 2012.  And before you look at that 60 to 39 margin and say no way, just remember Kerry lost Indiana 60 - 39 in 2004. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 07:48:16 PM »

Oklahoma, Nebraska, Utah, Idaho, Alaska, Wyoming and Kansas.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 07:53:22 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2009, 07:58:10 PM by Swedish Cheese »

Oklahoma, Nebraska, Utah, Idaho, Alaska, Wyoming and Kansas.

Better Smiley

Also if Wyoming's current governor ever ends up on a democratic ticket (that's very unlikely though) it wouldn't be impossible to take that state either.

Likewise there are very few states that the Republicans could not take under the right cerciumstances.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 08:13:13 PM »

Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Oklahoma, Nebraska-AL and Nebraska-03.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 09:16:56 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2009, 09:19:37 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

Oklahoma, Alabama, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and NE-03. Alaska, NE-01/AL, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Louisiana, and Kansas are unwinnable by any likely candidate.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 12:46:02 PM »

Oklahoma, Alabama, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and NE-03. Alaska, NE-01/AL, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Louisiana, and Kansas are unwinnable by any likely candidate.

This.  And at this point, I would feel comfortable adding Arkansas, Tennessee and Kentucky to the list.

West Virginia might also fit but that 1988 election still gives me pause...even though it's been quite a long while. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 04:27:03 AM »

TN, AL, MS, AR, LA, OK, KS, NE, WY, ID, UT
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 05:44:15 AM »

I'd feel safe only adding Wyoming and Oklahoma to the list. Oklahoma simply because they proved in 2008 that they still prefer to vote with their Bibles there rather than with their pocketbooks, and Wyoming didn't swing as strongly towards Obama as its red neighbors like Idaho, Utah, Montana and Nebraska did. That being said, Obama did significantly better in Idaho and Utah than John Kerry, as well as other GOP bastions like North Dakota, Nebraska and Kansas, and even Texas. If Obama and Democrats have a landslide year in 2012 like LBJ had in 1964, I could see him carrying all of these states. The South is a mystery to me because it is such a racially polarizing region that is still unfortunately divided into the white party and the black party. Georgia *could* be won with the right Democrat; Obama may be able to win it in 2012 if the landslide effect is there, but I still doubt that. He would have to get more of the white vote and I still don't see that happening. I'd say in a landslide year, he could pick up West Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas and *possibly* Louisiana, but Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina are still a little out of reach for the Democrats until the older generation starts dying off and more tolerant/less racist and bigoted younger voters become more prevalent. 
Husker
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -5.70

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 08:22:21 AM »

I'd feel safe only adding Wyoming and Oklahoma to the list. Oklahoma simply because they proved in 2008 that they still prefer to vote with their Bibles there rather than with their pocketbooks, and Wyoming didn't swing as strongly towards Obama as its red neighbors like Idaho, Utah, Montana and Nebraska did. That being said, Obama did significantly better in Idaho and Utah than John Kerry, as well as other GOP bastions like North Dakota, Nebraska and Kansas, and even Texas. If Obama and Democrats have a landslide year in 2012 like LBJ had in 1964, I could see him carrying all of these states. The South is a mystery to me because it is such a racially polarizing region that is still unfortunately divided into the white party and the black party. Georgia *could* be won with the right Democrat; Obama may be able to win it in 2012 if the landslide effect is there, but I still doubt that. He would have to get more of the white vote and I still don't see that happening. I'd say in a landslide year, he could pick up West Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas and *possibly* Louisiana, but Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina are still a little out of reach for the Democrats until the older generation starts dying off and more tolerant/less racist and bigoted younger voters become more prevalent. 

Texas could be a swing state in 2012 as could the Dakotas and NE-1. I'm not sure I'd put KS and NE-AL up there just yet but I suppose it's possible under the right circumstances. Oklahomans just generally don't like Obama and I doubt that changes between now and the next election. I do, however, expect Oklahoma County to be democrat next time around..
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies